Great Central / LNER (GC) carriage working notices

Jim Martin

Does anyone know the location of any Great Central or LNER (GC section) Carriage Working Notices, ideally from the 1920s? I've looked in the National Archive, GCRS archive and NRM archive catalogues and I can't see anything there. Thanks

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, lanchester said:

For the benefit of the uninitiated, what is a 'corridor locker compo'? (I get corridor and composite, but 'locker'? I assume it ain't some early incarnation of Amazon!

In Midland Railway carriage marshalling documents, it denotes a luggage compartment. For long-distance trains, the lockers and vans are each assigned for luggage to a particular destination or group of destinations. Is that the case with these GC Section notices?

What he said.   They're quite distinctive when you know how to look for them - a pair of double doors in what ought to be the corridor side of a Gresley carriage is a dead giveaway.   This is one I built for Grantham.

spacer.png

Edit - Just seen a good example on Steve Banks' website here.  Train headed by K3 121.  Look at the close up and the carriage behind the 45' BG, you can see the picture window then the double doors next to it.   On either side of the carriage (I think this is the corridor side) there would only be a single door for passenger use, so this has to be a locker vehicle.

Edited by jwealleans