Bachmann 31-982 3MT A Change of Appearance

Melangoose

My father has ordered one of these little beauties, when he saw it in the Bachmann catalogue.  As we were impressed by the weathering, with the rusty runs (typical of the “End of Steam” look).  However the pictures now on the Bachmann website give the loco a different and less weathered look.  Why?

832D99FC-7CEE-4C56-B3A6-3C7743D3E2F5.jpeg

17E6EB79-C3B8-4F84-9803-45D5E79220F6.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I appreciate the effort Bachmann have gone to, particularly as it attempts to copy the real 82018 it looks a little flat, a common airbrush issue. The real loco in period(1966) looked even worse! One advantage however is that powders adhere better to this finish. My additions would be dry brushing an artist oil mix of white and black. Use card as a pallette to draw out excess oil and aim for a very pale grey, then dry brush streaks down the tank sides. For powders I use just two, black and a dust colour, by doing any powder work in a plastic tub with a lid you end up with a nice dirty mix sitting in the box , generously applied over the model the excess fulls back in to the tub for reuse. I know this is not a Standard 3MT but you can get an idea of what can be achieved.

Fairburn tank pic4.jpg

• Like 1