Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

00 scale vacuum brake pipes/hoses tip/suggestion

Hi,

Would anyone have any tips for creating brake hoses hanging down ward (as in images below). 

The best looking ones I've seen are Alan Gibson castings however they hard to find and are tide up position.

I had thought about maybe using a thin rubber cord to hang down loose from the wagon ends.

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Brake pipes carriage.jpg

Brake pipes wagons.jpg

gibson.jpg

I always liked the Romford/Markits wire wound vac pipes.  These can be shaped to give you whatever you need.

A point to bear in mind is that vac and steam pipes did not go through buffer beams but underneath.  I glued a piece of plastic strip behind the buffer beam, shaped and drilled it to accept the pipe.

P1010005-007.thumb.JPG.52b2b2765de9e9c9e7b0d18b1245da3f.JPG

A good view of an unfinished Motor Car Van (Parkside).  Romford pipes and you can make out the plastic strip.  Note how the pipes have been modified to represent the compact vac pipe (to clear the fold down ramp) and steam pipe.

Whitemetal and LWB can be brittle and don't take reworking well.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lanarkshire Models are my preference and they have a good range. Markits are good, stronger being brass not white metal but more expensive. 

Making your own with brass wire shouldnt be too difficult though.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Pete0018 said:

Would anyone have any tips for creating brake hoses hanging down ward (as in images below). 

Use some black sheathed solid core wire of a suitable diameter (~0.5mm). You can create the ribbed look by carefully crimping the plastic sheath in the jaws of pliers. About as cheap as you can get.

Ian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Railway modellers show a basic misunderstanding of the vacuum brake pipes. They should be stowed on the dummy coupling, seen on the picture at the top just to the side of the couple, usually a bit of angle iron with a protruding round bit. The pipe dangling means the continuous brake is in the release position if the release string has been pulled next to the vacuum cylinder. The automatic brake won't work until at least one end of the vac pipe has been connected to another vehicle or is connected to a loco producing a vacuum. You'll never get a vacuum with a pipe dangling, so it needs to be stowed on the dummy coupling.

It the train is being run as an "unfitted" train or is being shunted, the automatic vacuum brake won't be required, so it doesn't matter if the pipe is dangling!

12 hours ago, delticman said:

I use wire wound guitar strings, they are cheap come in many gauges and one string will make dozens of vac pipes.

Geoff

There's nothing quite like air on a G-string! 😉 I've been using spent guitar strings for 4mm vac pipes since 1987!

• Like 2

I stocked up with those springy bracelet things that were fashionable a few years ago (it helped having a daughter). They are just the right diameter for 4mm and being very flexible allow vehicles to be portrayed with the hoses connected and a piece of wire threaded through keeps the others in place. (Just as long as they don't need to be disconnected, but maybe tiny magnets would work? - the tapered end which screws into the other is just too fiddly.)

Now where did I put the wretched things?  I saw them the other day!