Please see the announcement about a likely successful bid for funds to redevelop and integrate Peterborough main line station, under the levelling up fund (courtesy of Crun, from the Werrington Junction thread).

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/70-million-funding-approved-redvelopment-24343787?utm_source=cambridgeshire_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=peterborough_live_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

One interesting aspect of this (amongst many) is that, for the fund to be eligible, the grant must be fully spent by 2026. That, by any stretch, is a tall order, given the apparent huge extent of the plan. The submission has to be formally approved on 6 July.

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

So they think that the WH Smith’s Mews ramp is a suitable new entrance for extra traffic?

what they should have done was NOT put houses on the Rathbones bakery site and used that for the station.

ever tried getting down Midland Road since the hospital shut and they put a school there?

stupid council 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Please see the announcement about a likely successful bid for funds to redevelop and integrate Peterborough main line station, under the levelling up fund (courtesy of Crun, from the Werrington Junction thread).

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/70-million-funding-approved-redvelopment-24343787?utm_source=cambridgeshire_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=peterborough_live_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

One interesting aspect of this (amongst many) is that, for the fund to be eligible, the grant must be fully spent by 2026. That, by any stretch, is a tall order, given the apparent huge extent of the plan. The submission has to be formally approved on 6 July.

Thoughts?

Thank you for starting this as a new thread Mike.

Will there be a start on the Station Quarter in this decade?  I'm sceptical.  There has been so much talk about regeneration to the northern part of the city centre for more years than I can remember and still nothing happens.  30 months ago the local Evening Telegraph reported that spades were going into the ground (July 2021) to start the Station Quarter and here we are still awaiting.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/ps43-million-revamp-of-peterborough-station-could-open-new-gateway-into-the-city-1372906

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Thank you for starting this as a new thread Mike.

Will there be a start on the Station Quarter in this decade?  I'm sceptical.  There has been so much talk about regeneration to the northern part of the city centre for more years than I can remember and still nothing happens.  30 months ago the local Evening Telegraph reported that spades were going into the ground (July 2021) to start the Station Quarter and here we are still awaiting.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/ps43-million-revamp-of-peterborough-station-could-open-new-gateway-into-the-city-1372906

Not looking good for an early start to the project, I'll not hold my breath. I expect my children will see it, not sure if I will ...

Funding has yet to be agreed -  https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/green-light-for-ps70-million-pound-plans-to-revitalise-gateway-into-peterborough-3747366

And local council reaction - https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/peterborough-city-council-chiefs-vow-to-consider-everyones-needs-in-bid-to-deliver-north-westgate-development-3753649?fbclid=IwAR19cub-IdLLVDlzXC-ri_mT6a8tiGpJDsPzy3lEr_pwIgM3-t1vXMKp9_M

Edited by Richard E
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After all the fuss about John Lewis wanting the Brewery Tap site for a new store and then they closed the only store most people went to Queensgate for……

don’t believe the hype

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

After all the fuss about John Lewis wanting the Brewery Tap site for a new store and then they closed the only store most people went to Queensgate for……

don’t believe the hype

I would think John Lewis had a very big carrot dangled by the way of reduced rent and business rates to open their store in Queensgate.  Once that contract came to an end and the greedy burghers hiked the costs the inevitable was bound to happen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

don’t believe the hype

John Lewis were the "Anchor" store for the new Grand Central shopping centre above New Street Station.

Always seemed to plenty of people buying stuff but it was one of the first to shut when they tightened the reins.

• Agree 2

I’m interested in how they think they can make the roundabout by queensgate smaller when it is basically a hole in the ground with paths/cycle routes through it.

also Crescent sidings and the wagon works have just had money spent on them.

the sheds are listed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Shed said:

I’m interested in how they think they can make the roundabout by queensgate smaller when it is basically a hole in the ground with paths/cycle routes through it.

also Crescent sidings and the wagon works have just had money spent on them.

the sheds are listed.

Notwithstanding, they claim to be able to do it due to a 30% reduction in traffic due to the station scheme. That seems to be awfully optimistic - the station traffic is primarily before 09.30 and after 16.30. The roundabout is pretty busy all day long?

Incidentally, the scheme, or the one next to it, appears to show the disappearance of both the old railway buildings towards the Riverbank (unless they are still there under all the new architectural treatment shown). I thought they were still listed?

• Agree 1

I fully understand the scepticism about timescales - even when I lived there in the 2000's, there was endless talk of the grand plan, not least the station quarter, but only minor things were ever done. In fact, NR probably did more than almost anyone since then, with the new platforms (and Werrington).

However, of the more recent delays, the key problem appears to have been how to access government funding, which (assuming the 6 July application is approved by the end of the year, as stated) now seems to be resolved. What I cannot see in any of this is the extent to which third party funding has been promised (beyond NR and LNER). This is clearly going to cost more than a £70m grant.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

I fully understand the scepticism about timescales - even when I lived there in the 2000's, there was endless talk of the grand plan, not least the station quarter, but only minor things were ever done. In fact, NR probably did more than almost anyone since then, with the new platforms (and Werrington).

However, of the more recent delays, the key problem appears to have been how to access government funding, which (assuming the 6 July application is approved by the end of the year, as stated) now seems to be resolved. What I cannot see in any of this is the extent to which third party funding has been promised (beyond NR and LNER). This is clearly going to cost more than a £70m grant.

There is potential for a further problem

FWl6mn_XEAAOYxa.jpeg.0f2cb9dccfce4930eadf06e7ac368c68.jpeg

However the local MP has signed off an application to the Levelling Up Group for funds of up to £50m on 24th June. I'll refrain from remarks on the reaction on social media.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, VIA185 said:

I guess this would mean the end of the lovely old wooden Midland Railway wagon works if it still exists behind all those hoardings. What's the betting on a 'mysterious fire' one Sunday night? (CJL)

They are listed

• Agree 1

On 14/07/2023 at 20:48, VIA185 said:

I guess this would mean the end of the lovely old wooden Midland Railway wagon works if it still exists behind all those hoardings. What's the betting on a 'mysterious fire' one Sunday night? (CJL)

They are in use and have money spent on them recently 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I’m still trying to work out in this great plan where the current NR depot on Midland Road fits in.

the PSB has transferred to York ROC but the interlocking and other equipment in the building will be left behind 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=kiWO5oK73db2VT2m&fbclid=IwAR3_6_jMFIfftmEkzdZ__jKKh4U-7Ak6XFeZMOtEQIVQSt7FyJdk3iA5wBY&v=RB_Ta7puha0&feature=youtu.be

Edited by ess1uk
Add link

12 hours ago, ess1uk said:

I’m still trying to work out in this great plan where the current NR depot on Midland Road fits in.

the PSB has transferred to York ROC but the interlocking and other equipment in the building will be left behind 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=kiWO5oK73db2VT2m&fbclid=IwAR3_6_jMFIfftmEkzdZ__jKKh4U-7Ak6XFeZMOtEQIVQSt7FyJdk3iA5wBY&v=RB_Ta7puha0&feature=youtu.be

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/its-the-end-of-an-era-final-trains-directed-from-peterboroughs-signal-box-pass-through-city-this-weekend-4269696

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2023 at 21:48, Crun said:

What a diabolical piece of 'reporting'. Signal box closes but replacement system not due for two years implies unsignalled lines in the area for that period.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

What a diabolical piece of 'reporting'. Signal box closes but replacement system not due for two years implies unsignalled lines in the area for that period.

Further down,among all the adverts it does mention that trains will be controlled from York.

Jamie 

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...