Problems ordering from the LNWR historical society - resolved!

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

I have been trying for months to buy a copy of LNWR Non-Corridor Carriages from the LNWR society: https://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/books.php

I have received no answer to 10+ emails inquiring about shipping to the Netherlands.

I noticed the book on Ebay listed by the society itself, so I attempted to contact them about shipping it to me in the Netherlands. Again, all attempts went unanswered.

Link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154970523532?hash=item2414f6878c:g:7ewAAOSwWNRia6pT

So I had a friend in the UK buy it now. It's been nearly 2 weeks. No word to her, no reply to mails, and no book or shipping indication.

What gives? Can I get the book, please? 

Very confused and a bit aggravated,

Amanda

Edited by WM183

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

I have been trying for months to buy a copy of LNWR Non-Corridor Carriages from the LNWR society: https://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/books.php

I have received no answer to 10+ emails inquiring about shipping to the Netherlands.

I noticed the book on Ebay listed by the society itself, so I attempted to contact them about shipping it to me in the Netherlands. Again, all attempts went unanswered.

Link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154970523532?hash=item2414f6878c:g:7ewAAOSwWNRia6pT

So I had a friend in the UK buy it now. It's been nearly 2 weeks. No word to her, no reply to mails, and no book or shipping indication.

Amanda

They have a group on Facebook. Go on there with the same query and see if they respond. 

2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

Amanda

I sympathise.

I followed the stated procedure on the LNWRS website for the ordering of a book some weeks ago, and have yet to receive the courtesy of a response. Cottage industries and volunteer-based organisations can suffer from this. 

A glowing contrast, however, was the GNRS, who immediately responded, got one of the two volumes out in short order, profusely apologised for the other being out of stock, ordered a reprint and informed me of its progress, getting it to me in a week or so after the rapid dispatch of the in-stock volume. 

My conclusion? Model the GNR instead!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest WM183
58 minutes ago, Brassey said:

They have a group on Facebook. Go on there with the same query and see if they respond. 

I no longer use facebook, but perhaps I will have to. Thanks for the heads up.

Guest WM183
40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I sympathise.

I followed the stated procedure on the LNWRS website for the ordering of a book some weeks ago, and have yet to receive the courtesy of a response. Cottage industries and volunteer-based organisations can suffer from this. 

A glowing contrast, however, was the GNRS, who immediately responded, got one of the two volumes out in short order, profusely apologised for the other being out of stock, ordered a reprint and informed me of its progress, getting it to me in a week or so after the rapid dispatch of the in-stock volume. 

They pale in comparison to the Brighton Circle, which I am a member of, for sure.

The Brighton is simply more difficult to model, due to a lack of reference materials as good as those for Midland / LNWR. 

Being staffed by volunteers is one thing. Ebay fraud is an actual crime. They may want to sort themselves. 

• RMweb Gold

Fellow RMWebbers,

Some of these issues may be due to unexpected events, such as illness or even death, so can we hold back on the speculation, comparisons and criticism that go beyond the OP?

I don't make any judgments. These occasional breakdowns in service are part of the nature of such organisations. I thought I would conform that the OP was not alone in her experience and point to an example of an efficient Line Society that I thought was worthy of praise. 

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, WM183 said:

For six months?

That’s (usefully) more specific than “some months”, but there’s no need to go beyond asking if anyone is aware of a problem, and to start making comparisons.

3 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

Amanda

Hello Amanda, 

I am really sorry that you are struggling to receive the book. I have not had any emails through to sales@lnwrs.org.uk enquiring about shipping to the Netherlands, and I have just checked my eBay messages and nothing in there either. 

I am assuming the eBay purchase you refer to was made on the 23rd June 2022 - that went into the post on the 25th June - if it has not turned up with your friend then please ask her to message me on eBay and I can handle it from there - it wont be the first book Royal Mail have lost for me since the start of the Pandemic.

Kind Regards

David Bond

L&NWRS Sales Officer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I sympathise.

Hello Edwardian, 

I cannot do a search on my emails without knowing who you are, however if you would like to email sales@lnwrs.org.uk and/or drop me a message on here I will be more than happy to help you with your enquiry. 

Kind Regards

David Bond

L&NWRS Sales Officer

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LNWR lives on said:

Hello Edwardian, 

I cannot do a search on my emails without knowing who you are, however if you would like to email sales@lnwrs.org.uk and/or drop me a message on here I will be more than happy to help you with your enquiry. 

Kind Regards

David Bond

L&NWRS Sales Officer

Excellent, thank you.

Guest WM183
9 minutes ago, LNWR lives on said:

Hello Amanda, 

I am really sorry that you are struggling to receive the book. I have not had any emails through to sales@lnwrs.org.uk enquiring about shipping to the Netherlands, and I have just checked my eBay messages and nothing in there either. 

I am assuming the eBay purchase you refer to was made on the 23rd June 2022 - that went into the post on the 25th June - if it has not turned up with your friend then please ask her to message me on eBay and I can handle it from there - it wont be the first book Royal Mail have lost for me since the start of the Pandemic.

Kind Regards

David Bond

L&NWRS Sales Officer

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update and information. I just want to get the book so I can start modelling! I had been emailing via the sales@lnwr.org address, and also contacted you twice via eBay before asking my friend to order the book for me. As of yesterday she said she had not received it. I will contact her again today and pass along your message.

Is there some sort of spam setting on the sales@lnwr address that is munching emails, perhaps? Also, is there an alternative way to contact the society that might work better?

All the best,

Amanda

2 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update and information. I just want to get the book so I can start modelling! I had been emailing via the sales@lnwr.org address, and also contacted you twice via eBay before asking my friend to order the book for me. As of yesterday she said she had not received it. I will contact her again today and pass along your message.

Is there some sort of spam setting on the sales@lnwr address that is munching emails, perhaps? Also, is there an alternative way to contact the society that might work better?

All the best,

Amanda

Hi Amanda, 

Understandable. If the book is not there by now it means R Mail have it still and experience says it will either reappear with me in a few weeks as I put return addresses on, or its gone forever - so after sending the first message I have packed another copy and am going to the Post Office today after the school run. 

sales@lnwrs.org.uk is the best way to contact me, an upper case S can cause some issues sometimes, .co.uk definitely does not reach me, I will make the appropriate enquiry to our IT volunteer. 

Kind Regards

David

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi David,

All the best,

Amanda

P.S. If you are modelling LNWR carriages get in contact with our Modelling Officer David M with any enquires, he has been churning out LNWR carriages at a great rate in the last few years. 

Best

David

• Like 1

Guest WM183

Thank you David. I will be sure to do so! I'm scratching them out in 7mm scale, so any help or guidance is invaluable.

45 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Hello I have passed this thread over to someone in the society. They are now aware of this thread and hopefully they will be able to move this forwards for you. 

Hi Blandford, 

Great appreciation for passing this on. 

Kind Regards

David

• Like 2

Guest WM183

Hi David,

A couple of commuter trains, mostly 30'1" 6 wheel carriages (I have that book already, wonderful!) but I would like a rake of 3 or so bogie coaches as well. It will be a proto-lanced shared suburban station with Midland, with both also having their own goods facilities, as well as an interchange. First up is to finish a 4'6" 2-4-2t and a Webb tank, but the recent purchase of a dividing head for my lathe should make making the wheels a LOT simpler!

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, LNWR lives on said:

Hi Blandford, 

Great appreciation for passing this on. 

Kind Regards

David

No worries, there was concern and its great to see you got a response back quickly. 

Edited by Blandford1969

Guest WM183

Thank you indeed! I was hoping posting here would get a person who could help, and I thank you for doing that.

46 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Thank you indeed! I was hoping posting here would get a person who could help, and I thank you for doing that.

Replacement book is now in the post to your friend in the UK, lets hope this one gets there!

Best

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Can I just add that had you been a member of the GNRS your books would have been hand delivered by Steve and read to you as a bedtime story...we like to go the extra mile..

• Like 2
  • Funny 5