Non-Bogie Corrider Coaches

GERDecapod

• RMweb Gold

Taff Vale had a 4 wheel coach with corridor connection (diagram describes as flexible gangway) at one end; TVR 238, TV diagram 49. Unfortunately not normal - was the Dining Car for the Directors Saloon until 1924, Built 1888 by Metro C&W as brake van, converted in1913/14 at Cathays. Scrapped 1927. It was also unusual in having wallpapered interior.

Photos exist

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There's certainly some German 6 wheel passenger stock with gangways, I rode in some behind V200-033 a couple of years ago. Might have been some 4 wheelers as well. Might make an interesting Imaginary Carriage- a 4- or 6-wheel coach based on a mk1 suburban, but with gangways.

I know that the Weston Clevedon and Portishead railway had a gangway connection between their 4-wheel coaches for use by the guards. I've put a picture below and you might be able to discern the shape of the door that connected the coaches together.

WCPR 4 wheel coach .jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, GERDecapod said:

Hello everybody, I'd like to enquire if anyone knows of any non-bogie corridor coaches such as 4 and 6-wheelers. I'm also curious if any such coaches also had gangways. Thank you for your help.  

The ECJS had some 37' six wheelers with side corridors and originally offset gangway. These later were later replace by standard Pullman gangways. 

The GER built some 32' full brakes in 1906, with side corridors and BS gangway. The originally worked withe the 1906 Norwich trains. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Don't think any ordinary British 4- or 6-wheeled passenger coaches had gangways.

Pop off to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and you will find some in service. The Southern Railway added gangway connections to ex-LCDR stock used for pull-and-push trains to facilitate ticket issuing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, billbedford said:

The ECJS had some 37' six wheelers with side corridors and originally offset gangway. These later were later replace by standard Pullman gangways. 

The GER built some 32' full brakes in 1906, with side corridors and BS gangway. The originally worked withe the 1906 Norwich trains. 

I believe that, in the 1930s, the LNER modified the 6 - wheelers used on the Cambridge - Mildenhall branch train with gangways to allow for conductor - guard operation.

36 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Pop off to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and you will find some in service. The Southern Railway added gangway connections to ex-LCDR stock used for pull-and-push trains to facilitate ticket issuing.

The SECR had some ex LCDR 6 wheelers rebuilt with gangways for ticket issuing by the guard on the Sheppey Light Railway - these may be the ones that ended up on the IoW in SR days, converted to 4 wheelers.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Would anyone be able to provide a link or a picture that shows ECJS six-wheelers?

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't Queen Victoria's Saloon originally built by the LNWR as 2 6 wheel coaches with a corridor connection? Later it was rebuilt on a new chassis with 6 wheel bogies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As Bill has already said, the GER built some, mostly full brakes, I think there may have been a kitchen as well, but I may have made that up!

D248 composite was one of the diagrams modified for conductor guard operation.

14600-248.jpg.e2e31038e76a5a020bdc0c7604073575.jpg

D440 Third was another with D552 a brake third.

Tollesbury branch had them to an extent Not sure I would trust them though!

2121955883_14600-606Tollesbuy.jpg.9cceea53900dde3b9705e14ce9aa869f.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Caley739 said:

LMS "Stove R" 6 wheel brake vans had corridor gangways.

And prior to them, 6-wheel brake vans built by the Midland for the Scotch Expresses in 1899 - M&GSW and M&NB Joint Stock. The first ones had a gangway at one end only, as they were to be marshalled at the outer ends of set trains, but this was rapidly found to be an inconvenience.

64393.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of Midland Railway Study Centre item 64393]

Before that, in the Bristol-Bradford set trains of 1896, there were 6-wheel kitchen cars, with gangways at both ends to connect to the dining carriages, though the remainder of the train was non-corridor:

64434.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of Midland Railway Study Centre item 64434]

Are TPOs allowed?

64197.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of Midland Railway Study Centre item 64197]

This one was built in 1879; I'm not sure when gangway connections were first provided for Travelling Post Office trains but pretty early on I suppose for the West Coast Postal - by 1850?