Railway Modeller - August 2022

steve1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

The 1970s supplement is worth the price alone, with its good background info. 

An expanded version would make an interesting bookazine…

steve

Yes very enjoyable , and agree a bookazine along similar lines would be good , although there are a few similar items out there.

My only issue was that despite being 70s they cant help revert to steam , for example 1970 has a picture of Jinty 47445, hardly typical of what was going on. Similarly the  LT last Pannier in 1971.  Transition from green to blue would have been more appropriate  but there's not a mention .  Then Chapters on Steam Survivors , the growth of the preservation movement, I just get the feeling that the default is always to revert to steam .   The reality of the 1970s for me was a sea of blue . At the beginning Green and Maroon too , then at the end Blue/grey covering most stock . But it was uniformity . So much so that  the outliers could be counted in one hand , 56036 the first in Large Logo in 1978 , 40106 the last in green also in 1978 , white cabs on Deltics , Stratford Silver/ Grey roof on 47s .  Yes there was steam there but it represented a fraction of what was going on 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I disagree - the supplement is a well-balanced presentation. It is useful to know what steam was still running in 1970 (and beyond) and the short section devoted to the preservation movement seemed to me quite appropriate. It certainly suggests that steam by 1970 was but a fraction of what was going on.

Intriguing picture on page 11 (middle pic of Stockport) There is a reference to the limited use of hi-vis. The chap I assume to be the lookout is in front, straddling the track and wearing the limited hi-vis used at the time, as are the three railworkers behind him. To the right are what appear to be two men and two women without any hi-vis, apparently strolling along the track. ???

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2022 at 10:06, Legend said:

Yes very enjoyable , and agree a bookazine along similar lines would be good , although there are a few similar items out there.

My only issue was that despite being 70s they cant help revert to steam , for example 1970 has a picture of Jinty 47445, hardly typical of what was going on. Similarly the  LT last Pannier in 1971.  Transition from green to blue would have been more appropriate  but there's not a mention .  Then Chapters on Steam Survivors , the growth of the preservation movement, I just get the feeling that the default is always to revert to steam .   The reality of the 1970s for me was a sea of blue . At the beginning Green and Maroon too , then at the end Blue/grey covering most stock . But it was uniformity . So much so that  the outliers could be counted in one hand , 56036 the first in Large Logo in 1978 , 40106 the last in green also in 1978 , white cabs on Deltics , Stratford Silver/ Grey roof on 47s .  Yes there was steam there but it represented a fraction of what was going on 

Having only had a chance to have a fairly good look at it yesterday it didn't strike me as being over 'steamy' - simply mentioning what was still around albeit using space to do it but, in soem respects, relating that to availability of models which seemed quite a good idea.     The biggest omission was in respect of the change from green to blue livery with green examples still around in abundance.  And a rather poor representation of the freight world where new wagon types were a rarity in many places in the early '70s - we never saw anything 'new' other than tank wagons, at the yard I managed in South Wales in 1973

Plus a couple of oddities - what PO hopper wagons appeared new in the 1960s?  I found it hard to think of any whereas certain types (the original Procor PGA 4 wheeler) were very much children of the 1970s.  The other peculiarity was the reference to mixed passenger/parcels trains which I found rather irritating -  they were either passenger trains, with parcels vans as tail traffic, or parcels trains which very occasionally included a passenger vehicle.    And there was no proper reference to newspaper trains which were the ones that did include a passenger vehicle (in order to provide a toilet for the newspaper packers working on the train or accommodation for railway staff travelling on duty or, in some cases, to/from work).  So it all got rather wooly in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any overseas subscribers recived thier printed copy yet?   I emailed the RM subs department yesterday (Thurs 4th Aug) and they have replied say that they have had some issues with the August copy being sent to Ireland.

Email reply from RM, I have replaced the names with xxx

"Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your email, we appear to have several customers in Ireland whose issues have gone astray this month. I will put a replacement in the post for you asap.

Regards

XXXXXXX

Subscriptions"

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, irishmail said:

Have any overseas subscribers recived thier printed copy yet?   I emailed the RM subs department yesterday (Thurs 4th Aug) and they have replied say that they have had some issues with the August copy being sent to Ireland.

Email reply from RM, I have replaced the names with xxx

"Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your email, we appear to have several customers in Ireland whose issues have gone astray this month. I will put a replacement in the post for you asap.

Regards

XXXXXXX

Subscriptions"

Funny things go on sometimes. For instance a few times the Railway Modeller has failed to turn up in Australia (I buy at newsagents) and they tell me that it never arrived at the wholesaler. Nothing is ever done in such circumstances.

An example was the 2021 November, I'll guess I'll have to catch up with it when I get around to taking out a digital subscription, so I can access the back issues.

• RMweb Premium

I received my copy last week.

Deliveries have become regular recently.  At the beginning of the year I received 3 issues on 3 successive days.

Upto and including the July issue all have been delivered within two weeks of publication date, however the August issue seems to have gone astray enroute to Ireland. 

Peco have informed me that they are gooing to send a replacement copy. 

• Friendly/supportive 1