Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

RevolutioN Trains Announce Alcan PCA Alumina Tanks in OO Gauge

sc2016

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, R. Knowles said:

Why not buy both?🤷‍♀️

You could also make up a larger rake between the two!

The two different types of PCAs made by Bachmann, and Accurascsle and now a third PCA by Revolution do not work in the same trains.....

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ben Jones' Train Formations Handbook has a section on West Highland formations 1980-1993, including some example Alcan consists. 

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/5542

I won't scan here due to copyright (and I'm hoping another edition gets produced as it's a good reference, so please do buy a copy, it's a bargain at about £5 + shipping). 🙃

The Alcan PCAs shown are in mixed rakes with PAF/PAA and PAB, typically around 6 or 8 PCAs. 

The PAB are these https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/prpaa/hC22E075#h1a0a2183

The PAF/PAA  are https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop/h2168003C#h3f001cb0 or similar in Grainflow livery.

Both of those hoppers would be nice to have if anyone is compiling wishlists, especially the PAA, the Lima model is not aging well 😉

Alcan PCA also shown in mixed Speedlink consists with 4 wheel tankers, Speedlink opens, and KFA flats (aluminium ingots - wonder if anyone does an ISO flatrack for these?  Also the reeled paper with tarps on KFAs from Corpach).

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

The two different types of PCAs made by Bachmann, and Accurascsle and now a third PCA by Revolution do not work in the same trains.....

The Hornby Vee tanker PCA with Alcan branding would have been seen alongside these new wagons but only at Cambois. They replaced the unbraked hoppers for the  Lynemouth flow. I don’t think they ever got up to Ft Bill.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the mixed rakes of alumina PCAs and PAB/PAA etc happened for a relatively brief period as the new PCAs were introduced in early 1988. Certainly makes for interesting rakes! Thanks for reminding me!

Bizarrely there’s some of the depressed centre ‘V’ PCAs at Fort William at the moment - they were moved there when the Lynemouth smelter closed (along with many other bits and pieces) but IIRC they were moved by road and Alvance have no plans to use them. It was a case of take what could be moved when Lynemouth closed. I think I’ve got some drone footage of them that we didn’t use. 

Cheers Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2022 at 21:11, andythenorth said:

Ben Jones' Train Formations Handbook has a section on West Highland formations 1980-1993, including some example Alcan consists. 

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/5542

I won't scan here due to copyright (and I'm hoping another edition gets produced as it's a good reference, so please do buy a copy, it's a bargain at about £5 + shipping). 🙃

The Alcan PCAs shown are in mixed rakes with PAF/PAA and PAB, typically around 6 or 8 PCAs. 

The PAB are these https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/prpaa/hC22E075#h1a0a2183

The PAF/PAA  are https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop/h2168003C#h3f001cb0 or similar in Grainflow livery.

Both of those hoppers would be nice to have if anyone is compiling wishlists, especially the PAA, the Lima model is not aging well 😉

Alcan PCA also shown in mixed Speedlink consists with 4 wheel tankers, Speedlink opens, and KFA flats (aluminium ingots - wonder if anyone does an ISO flatrack for these?  Also the reeled paper with tarps on KFAs from Corpach).

A PAB would be nice and plenty of scope for West Highland and Lower end Far North lines, plus I think they may have been used for lime further south. Would look nice behind some Accurascale 37’s!  I must admit I misread the title and got very exited thinking they had announced the PAB until I got to the photo!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something curious from the Revolution article. The Alumina is refined in County Limerick, Ireland, then shipped all the way around Britain to Blyth, before being trained back to the west coast. Why do they not ship it to somewhere on the West Coast, or even to Fort William itself? 

1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

Something curious from the Revolution article. The Alumina is refined in County Limerick, Ireland, then shipped all the way around Britain to Blyth, before being trained back to the west coast. Why do they not ship it to somewhere on the West Coast, or even to Fort William itself? 

It went to Blyth because that was convenient for the Lynemouth smelter.  Since Lynemouth closed it obviously makes less sense, so I believe the plan is to ship it to Fort William direct once pier facilities are upgraded.  Unfortunately that would spell the end for freight on the West Highland. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, as mentioned it went to Blyth because there was a smelter there until relatively recently. 

Although there has been discussions about shipping alumina powder to Ft William our understanding from Alvance is that has other challenges and is not currently being actively pursued. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hello everyone,

Having built my little train set Rannoch quite a number of years back now, I’m genuinely excited to see the Alcan Tanks being produced by Revolution. It’s been a long lived, iconic wagon of the last 30 years on the scenic west highland line. Realtrack class 156 filled a major gap a few years back but these really complete the line up. Although my interest is from 2005 onwards having researched for the layout I’ve seen all sorts of combinations from the 80’s onwards and such a wide variety of traction on the WHL and even more the further south they travel on both the East Coast and diversions down the West Coast to and from Blyth. 

55022 in a more modern guise from Accurascale next with a rake of Rio Tinto tanks would surely look good on a lot of layouts for starters. 

Great to see these being done,

thanks

Mark

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I model Steam 1930's but I may have to buy another of my funny trains as I was around for this. Not the position varies a bit on the number panels etc.

Mike Wiltshire

1163070640_tinto1.JPG.863e21310d6092a8c040f2716d8f1d2d.JPG

Note  - They are the V type PCAs, not the ones being modelled by Revolution.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Note  - They are the V type PCAs, not the ones being modelled by Revolution.

Bummer. As a steam modeller what do I know? The Railway Modeller review had me thinking these were the wagons used.

I have looked through all my Deltic shots from 2011 and never managed photographed 55022 on the Revolution ones, though a train of what looks like them went past with a 66.

Thanks

Mike Wiltshire

1737757218_tinto2.JPG.555adaf7fe9d18b05d4774443588b20e.JPG

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Bummer. As a steam modeller what do I know? The Railway Modeller review had me thinking these were the wagons used.

I have looked through all my Deltic shots from 2011 and never managed photographed 55022 on the Revolution ones, though a train of what looks like them went past with a 66.

Thanks

Mike Wiltshire

1737757218_tinto2.JPG.555adaf7fe9d18b05d4774443588b20e.JPG

Although 55022 was mainly used on the North Blyth - Lynemouth local workings with the V type PCAs, it did  few workings to Fort William with the Revolution type PCAs which can be seen being hauled by the class 66.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A sample was on show at the Rails Open Day yesterday, and we'll have them at the Great Electric Train Show in Milton Keynes in October and at Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC in November.

IMG_9472.jpg.14cfe88fd02af760afbbf120b65f5119.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've just been checking some photos I took while at Rannoch Station on 28th September 2012 and found the following consist heading South from Fort William:

(In order):

66735 GBRf

55563- Rio-Tinto

55552- Rio-Tinto

55568- Rio-Tinto

55555- Rio-Tinto

55571- Rio-Tinto

55544- Rio-Tinto

55549- Rio-Tinto

55540- Rio-Tinto

55565- Rio-Tinto

55564- Rio-Tinto

55567- Rio-Tinto

55569- Rio-Tinto

55545- Rio-Tinto

55550- Rio-Tinto

55556- Rio-Tinto

55536- Rio-Tinto

55542- Rio-Tinto

55571- Rio-Tinto.

I thought it might be worth posting as may be useful to someone.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1