RevolutioN Trains Announce Alcan PCA Alumina Tanks in OO Gauge

sc2016

• RMweb Premium

One or two points on the dating and consists: 

I have photos of 37405 at Corrour on 13/10/2006 with 5 BDAs (or similar) and 10 (sic) PCAs. The PCAs appear to be in de-branded Alcan livery. 

Another set of photos I have are from 10/10/2006 and show 66110. I didn't photograph the whole consist but again there are BDAs at the front (FW) end (at least 4), followed by an unknown number of PCAs. However, what is interesting is that one shot showing the PCAs has three all in ex-works condition, with fresh Alcan logos. Visible numbers are 55555 and 55535; a third vehicle cannot be identified but is in the same condition. None have ladders. This seems to throw a spanner in the works in that (a) the painting out of logos (if that's what happened) does not follow a linear trajectory, (b) wagons went through a period of no ladders and Alcan logos (which doesn't seem to be an option offered by Revolution - though easy enough to remove the ladders I expect), and (c) it's possible to be a bit more precise than "mid 2000s" for the removal of the logos.  

Another interesting feature is that the Alcan logos are in different positions - and none quite matches the Revolution position. But I wonder if every wagon was different? 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Another interesting feature is that the Alcan logos are in different positions - and none quite matches the Revolution position. But I wonder if every wagon was different? 

Hi there,

The logos on our models are positioned according to the works drawings showing their location as built.

The wagons certainly ran with Alcan logos and no ladders, but there is a limit to how many different production variations we can offer; we are already offering 56 differently numbered models!

I also I think you are correct that during over the full period that they carried Alcan branding there was some variation in location of the logo; but finding photographs of both sides of a particular wagon around the same date to ensure any non-standard positioning is fully correct is not easy!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi. I'm increasingly thinking that every wagon had the logo in a unique position, varying by how much it straddled the right-hand seam by. So there's no error on your part there. Ditto Alcan logos and ladders - no error, and an easy fix, too, I expect. 

• 7 months later...
On 06/09/2022 at 13:12, Revolution Mike said:

I uploaded a sample consist diagram to our website yesterday which might be of interest to some - there's some interesting combinations! Hopefully it is of use to some!

Based on that, it appears that in 2007 all wagons were in 'British Alcan Faded' livery, but by 2010 they were a mix of 'Unbranded' and some with Rio Tinto branding.  Do the packs labelled on the Revolution website as 'Debranded Alcan' represent the 'British Alcan Faded' or the 'Unbranded' style in these sample consists (or are these all effectively one and the same)?

Does anyone know when the last of the fleet received the Rio Tinto branding? (ie until what date might the faded / debranded / unbranded livery have lasted)?

Similarly, I understand the Liberty branding was introduced in 2016, but when would the Rio Tinto branding have survived until and did this rebranding occur before or after the switch to the longer 18-24 wagon trains?  I note that Revolution are not producing enough packs in Liberty livery to represent the 2020 consist shown (although it doesn't matter to me, as that's not what I'm most interested in).

• RMweb Gold

The debranded Alcan and Faded Alcan are essentially the same thing. The Unbranded tanks would need a bit of modelling to remove some markings. But I’d really recommend looking at pictures of videos if you’re after a rake for a very specific date/period. 

The start of the rebranding to LL was after the last EWS service - GBRf introduced the longer trains but I don’t know the exact dates. 

cheers Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The deco samples took longer than anticipated.  We are ready to begin production so we have decided to set the order deadline at the end of August to give everyone enough time to make their minds up on whether to pre-order at the lower price.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Captured one evening while we were on holiday near Warkworth in Northumberland earlier in the month.

66736 6E45: 0807 FTW Alcan-North Blyth Alcan passing the site of Warkworth station approx 1940 on 7/6/23.

DSC06438.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2023 at 14:28, Caledonian Gateway said:

@Revolution Ben do you know what the length of these wagons are please? Trying to work out how many packs I can fit in my fiddle yard. Thanks!

Hi there,

Was going to wait until Tuesday to answer but then realised the order deadline is close so an answer sooner might be appreciated!

The wagons are 125mm over (sprung) buffers, and 135mm over the outer edge of the tension lock bar.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A gentle heads up that the pre-order deadline for these wagons is midnight tonight.

Once the deadline has passed our order book will close so that we can start production and the price will rise from £149.95 for a pack of 4 to the full retail price of £169.95 (whilst stocks last).

PCAlineup2stacked.jpeg.1c23a3174a2d1b7cd514539b1123d210.jpeg

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Expected in the new year. Already in production. I seem to remember them saying the tampo printing was quite simple so relatively quick production turnaround.

Edited by E100

3 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Expected. They’ve been in production for the last few months and are nearly ready to ship. 

cheers Mike

Thanks Mike. I've paid the 50% deposit on mine. Will there be emails generated to pay the balance when appropriate?  This is my first pre-order with Revolution direct.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Growling said:

Thanks Mike. I've paid the 50% deposit on mine. Will there be emails generated to pay the balance when appropriate?  This is my first pre-order with Revolution direct.

From the Revolution Trains website FAQ section:

IMG_2731.jpeg.98574577f107c4f593ad3f64ec794296.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, good news, but a rather inconvenient time to be asked for so much money so soon after Christmas. I've emailed them to ask what they mean by "make payment when you're ready". 

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not had chance to reply to your email as I’ve been at Rails all day but the the invoices are due when they’re generated and obviously the quicker they’re paid then the quicker you get your models!

We don’t have a set payment date but we will send a couple of reminders in due course if balances aren’t paid. 

cheers Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Revolution Mike said:

I’ve not had chance to reply to your email as I’ve been at Rails all day but the the invoices are due when they’re generated and obviously the quicker they’re paid then the quicker you get your models!

We don’t have a set payment date but we will send a couple of reminders in due course if balances aren’t paid. 

cheers Mike

Thanks, Mike - it wasn't a criticism. I just wanted other people to know I'd asked. Might save you loads of emails! 

• RMweb Premium

Had an email from Rails today to say they were actually now in stock with them!

From another thread though they are also now shipping mk5's so it may take a bit of time for them to get round to them!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, E100 said:

Had an email from Rails today to say they were actually now in stock with them!

From another thread though they are also now shipping mk5's so it may take a bit of time for them to get round to them!

Hi there,

We are doing our best to ship PCAs and Mk5s at the same time.  We've dispatched a large number of PCAs today, with some to follow (if possible pending other commitments) tomorrow and then more on Friday.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, meanach said:

Im not sure if I should be worried but mine showed dispatched Friday but I haven’t had them. Which carrier are you using ? 

Hi there,

You should be able to access via your account a notification from Royal Mail when the models are in transit to you.  Our software does issue a dispatched notification automatically before but this is misleading, as the postage labels are generated before the models are packed and sent.

Some were sent yesterday; some more are being sent tomorrow.

I think this is explained in our FAQ!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1