Porth Eithin

trains12

Hi Peter

Love the New Photos mate, and what looks like Snow suddenly appeared at that end of the layout...Haha! I taken it that Plaster that you have finished. This will look great when it is all completed, cant wait to see it.

Next weekend... if all goes well, Ill come up to see you both.

Jamie

Hi All

Well I have finished the wiring on the extention today and reinstalled the two point motors. The track has also just been painted and is in the sun drying it (no Photos of that yet.). Is there anyone out there form Cornwall. I need a favour, what are the country walls along side the roads made of. It is a good 20 years since I was last down there I cannot find any photos showing walls clearly. Can any one help Please?

Anyway here are a few shots of the wiring.

Peter

post-6915-127826629521.jpg

post-6915-127826631962.jpg

post-6915-127826634084.jpg

post-6915-127826636398.jpg

post-6915-127826638623.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Here are a few shots of a new boat being built for use on Porth Eithin or Porth Penrhyn. The4 shots have been taken by Jamie at the Porthmadog show when it was put on Porth Penrhyn. It is based on two motor ships from photographs of 1960's. When finished it will be as if the boat has just docked and is taking the covers off the hatches ready to take on a load of baged clay. ( On Penrhyn it will be slate.)

Please feel free to comment on it.

Peter

post-6915-12784924013.jpg

post-6915-127849241094.jpg

post-6915-127849241776.jpg

post-6915-127849242398.jpg

post-6915-127849242985.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

Hope you are well. Good to see that the layout's progressing well.

Christian.

hi Christian

Nice to hear from you. Must come and see the layouts down at the club.

Work is going on with the buildings for the extension. Hope to be doing the scenics in the next few days. In the mean time have started work on a china Clay slurry wagon Will post some shots over the weekend.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Here are some shots of the new yard crane and the store which has been painted over the weekend .Also in the back ground can be seen the new spear fence which has been painted and the catle dock. Please add some comments.

Thank you

Peter

post-6915-127896287912.jpg

post-6915-127896289387.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Love the latest photos they are great mate, just a bit of paint and flocking left to do and it will look as if its always been that way...!

Keep up the good work.

Jamie

Hi All

I asked a few postings ago about two items and to date no one has come back to me. The information I need to know is; 1) when did the Hi.Vis jackets/waist coats come in on BR/general work use, and 2) what are the roadside walling like around Cornwall in respect of the areas around the china clay workings.

I do hope that some one can help me on this I just cannot find any information about them on the web.

Peter

• Like 1

Peter,

Maybe you should ask the question in the UK Prototypes area - you may stand a better chance of getting a reply.

Nice layout btw, I first came across it in a copy of Model Rail (I think) in a store in Springfield/ New Jersey!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter.

I saw the layout in a magazine a few years back and thought it was brilliant - came across very well.

In answer to your second question, using Google Street View you can get some idea as to the walling. For example:

Here (wait for the street view to appear)

and here

Hope that helps a little bit?

• Like 1

Hello Peter.

I saw the layout in a magazine a few years back and thought it was brilliant - came across very well.

In answer to your second question, using Google Street View you can get some idea as to the walling. For example:

Here (wait for the street view to appear)

and here

Hope that helps a little bit?

Hi SouthernRegion Steam

Thanks for that. I had not thought of using Google Street. Will have to try it out.

Peter

• Like 1

Peter,

Maybe you should ask the question in the UK Prototypes area - you may stand a better chance of getting a reply.

Nice layout btw, I first came across it in a copy of Model Rail (I think) in a store in Springfield/ New Jersey!

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the info I most say that since the new site came on air last year I tend to only use the Layout Topic site. Will post in the Uk Prototype Area. Last Time I was in Springfield New Jersey was in 1969 I bet it has changed since then. I remember seeing the world Trade centre site it was just a big hole then How times have changed.

Peter

• Like 1

Peter,

They certainly have.....................

I'm not sure I should ask as to why you were in Springfield, New Jersey in 1969..........I live down Rte 22 on the border of Westfield.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Peter,

They certainly have.....................

I'm not sure I should ask as to why you were in Springfield, New Jersey in 1969..........I live down Rte 22 on the border of Westfield.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

Was on hoilday staying at my uncle's near Stamford Connecticut. He was Print Manager for Mcalls mag. and he took me to Sprinfeild one day Dont remember to much other than we stopped on the way home at a Inn? and had a steak. It was about 2ft long and 1ft wide. It was great.

peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Well I have now painted the end board and it is ready for the flocking. At the front of the layout the fencing is being repainted and repaired by a repair crew(which have to be placed on yet) that is why the fence is a mixture of diffrent colours.

Also there is a shot of the new china clay wagon that I am building. This is based on photographs in our book British Railway Air braked Stock Vol.3 page 3 It is a TDA TRL/ECC

Peter

post-6915-127922044984.jpg

post-6915-127922045577.jpg

post-6915-127922046345.jpg

post-6915-127922047092.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Only a little bit of work has been done in the last few days, mainly that the layout is now up at the unit ready for the scenic detailing to be completed on the new extension board and a general clean up and repair of all the boards before its next showing at the Model Rail event at Barrow Hill in Sept.

A couple of shots, taken yesterday at the unit, with the layout up. A new back board is now being built for it but don’t know if it will be a photographic one or just a plain sky. Any comments from out there on this?

The main new this week is that the layout may be on TV in a few weeks. A group of artistes who are travelling Wales visiting various groups and societies are pay the club a visit at the unit on Friday morning the 6th August to see how the club runs and functions. So Porth Eithin and GTD will be running while three other members and I give demonstrations on the likes of track building, fitting lighting units into engines and coaches and scenic detailing it should be good fun.

Peter

post-6915-128032698506.jpg

post-6915-128032699777.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

Here are a few more shots of the railway in general before it is refurbished ready for the coming show.

post-6915-128051422377.jpg

This is a view of the stoage shed down on the harbour. Each section of the clading is cut and laid independently.

post-6915-128051345543.jpg

In this view is shown the boat repair yard on the side of the river Isfa. This is a copy of a sail makers loft that appears in one of Ian Rices books from Wild Swan. I belive that the real life structure is in Norfolk some where, but for me it fits in well.

post-6915-128051346387.jpg

This old mill is actual based on about three buildings that I have seen or liked over the years.

post-6915-128051347458.jpg

In this view is seen the small group of workmans huts near the station end.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi All

Just a few more shots that I have taken tonight of the small stern fishing boat that is being built for the layout. It started life as a volmer? kit, I think it was a ferry boat but has been for a number of years in the junk box part made.I have been trying to make it into a boat that I saw once in Padstow harbour.

post-6915-128052062471.jpg

post-6915-128052063622.jpg

post-6915-128052064751.jpg

post-6915-128052065979.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

Have started today the flocking of the new extension and the layout in general. About three hours work to date on this. when the glue has dried off the surplus is vacuumed up sieved and re used.

Peter

post-6915-128060218743.jpg

post-6915-128060220144.jpg

post-6915-128060221467.jpg

post-6915-128060222945.jpg

post-6915-128060224185.jpg

post-6915-128060225436.jpg

post-6915-128060226773.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I Agree with Paul (Hope you are OK Paul) this is a great layout, this was my first one to see and I remember the first one you gave me the controls to have a go at working it.

Love the photos Peter.

Regards

Jamie