Porth Eithin

trains12

Hi all

Not been here for some time as layout been in store.

Anyway it is back out now, cobwebs being dusted off and is out at the Welsh Slate Museum exhibition, Llanberis, on 24 - 27th February.

Have a query if anyone can help? Have had somebody say, and is adamant, that class 20's in green era/early blue era were used on china clay trains in west country. Have checked all my resources in Study Centre library and cannot find any reference to their use. Is there anybody out there who can prove this and advise.

Cheers

Peter

ps If anybody here in N.Wales interested in helping run the layout at the show please let me know.

• Like 1

I'm no expert on these things but I don't think class 20s were used. In John Vaughan's 'Illustrated history of west country china clay trains' he states that the first time class20s were seen in Cornwall was an enthusiasts special in 1986. Apparantly there were rumours in the early 80s that pairs of 20s would be used to reduce track wear from the 37s. Shame really as I think they'd look good!

HTH

Hi all

Not been here for some time as layout been in store.

Anyway it is back out now, cobwebs being dusted off and is out at the Welsh Slate Museum exhibition, Llanberis, on 24 - 27th February.

Have a query if anyone can help? Have had somebody say, and is adamant, that class 20's in green era/early blue era were used on china clay trains in west country. Have checked all my resources in Study Centre library and cannot find any reference to their use. Is there anybody out there who can prove this and advise.

Cheers

Peter

ps If anybody here in N.Wales interested in helping run the layout at the show please let me know.

Hi I am off that week and that weekend and would love to come and help run the layout at the show I have sent you a pm. Regards Andrew.TheFonz1

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for your offer.

Will send you a pm .

Hi All

Am at present trying to make some new china clay wagons up and weather some of the silver bullets. A piece of good news after 4 years of not being able to run into the engine shed have at last found the gremlin and it has now been rectified so we can use the shed line so mr. engine driver doesn't have to walk the 8 miles to the junction shed to get his engine in the morning.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The layout is all packed and ready to go tomorrow to the Welsh Slate Museum show at Llanberis. A couple of the RMW members are coming down for a go on the layout so if any body else wants to come all are welcome. I will be demonstration on track construction and modelling buildings for Glen Gillie and Water Mill halt as well.

Cheers

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi all

It is an honour to help Peter and the team this Friday at the Llanberris Show. I am operating this wonderful layout on Friday and I must warn all viewers that this is the first time I have ever operated at an exhibiton so please go easy with me if you are fly shunted by wagons or covered in china clay!

However come and say hello and ask questions have a natter etc I don't bite and I very much look forward to meeting you. I work on the real thing at Chester and I am really looking forward to operating this beauty.

regards to all

Andrew

Hi all

Just a few words over the exhibition last weekend. Everybody enjoyed them selves and I would like to thank Richard, Bob and Andrew for the help in running the layout. Many thanks. The railway on the whole ran well but there was a problem with the electric uncouplers. I have decided that most of the wiring and uncloupers will over the next two months be replaced and brought up todate. It is due as this side of the layout has not been touched in the last nine years so is due.

I did take a few shots of the layout but have not yet down loaded them. I did my back in unloading the layout on Sunday night so have not done to much to date will get them done in the next few days.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that rather blurred yet handsome young man is yours truly!

I enjoyed operating the layout it ran very well nice slow running available. As Peter says some of the electrics played up in the station section at one point there was smoke coming from one of the transformers!

We also had a minor power cut on the Sunday but all in all a most enjoyable exhibition.

I'm pretty sure that rather blurred yet handsome young man is yours truly!

I enjoyed operating the layout it ran very well nice slow running available. As Peter says some of the electrics played up in the station section at one point there was smoke coming from one of the transformers!

We also had a minor power cut on the Sunday but all in all a most enjoyable exhibition.

Hi all...

Sorry we could not be there for the show and see History happen all over again...

Mmmmmm... This sounds very familiar with electricity cuts and things not working properly and just becomes a nice expensive push along train set, we talking about the Birkenhead show... Right... Doh! Missing the humour and laughs we have dude...!

I would of love to of been there at the show Peter to taken some good photo shots especially of the older generation stock you had running on it, as you know I don't run older era stock myself, so like to take shots when the occasion arises... Dam it I missed it....

Love the photos mate, look forward to seeing more uploaded, glad it all went well Peter over the weekend and look forward to coming down to see you at the unit soon. Say hi to Wendy for me....

Regards

Jamie

Hi Peter, the layout looked good :D

Popped in on the Sunday on the way home, almost wasn't let in despite being there at around 3.15 - only stayed about 15 mins but managed to have a quick look round.

Hi Peter, the layout looked good :D

Popped in on the Sunday on the way home, almost wasn't let in despite being there at around 3.15 - only stayed about 15 mins but managed to have a quick look round.

Hi Matt

Many thanks for your comments. You should have made contact with me. The next stage will be the new 12ft ext. which is on the planning board now. This will be the other end of the line with the drying sheds. Will be starting this sometime after the summer when I have finnished Glen Gilie and Water Mill Halt (The tar works layout)

Hope to see you someday down at the club gives us a PM when you can come.

Regards Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

On Easter Saturday I am having a bit of an open day down at the unit in Nantlle. Anyone in the area are welcome to call and see use, will have a couple of the layouts either part up or fully up and working. Great Tunsley Dale for one part up Will be open form 10.30am till about 3.30pmHave a cup of tea or coffee and talk about railways. All welcome. Contact me for further details via PM

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Sorry I couldnt make it... lack of Trantsport...

Hope I will get to the next one...

Do you have any lastest photo updates on this layout...

Cheers... Jamie

• 1 year later...

Hi All

Can't believe it is 12 months since posted anything.

Most of the time has been spent working on Glen Gillie and Watermill Halt.

Anyway Porth Eithin is out in a fortnight time at the Hartlepool Show so being brought out of storage for a dusting off and checking.

Will post some fresh shots later.

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter.

Weathers rubbish for the weekend so will come over to the unit and give you a hand.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Tried phoning last couple of evenings, no reply.

At present Porth Eithin is up at house in dining room, am going to alter the cassettes and make a selector plate instead.

Don't think you have seen this one and as you are going to be operating it maybe a little practice won't go amiss!!!

Will try and ring you both Thursday evening.

See you soon

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Can't believe it is 12 months since posted anything.

And who'd have believed that a chance remark from a local trader led us to Llanberis in 2010 where this layout was exhibited only 2 months after my husband gave me my first loco, a Flying Scotsman ( how original)* for Christmas and now to be co-operating Porth Eithin at Hartlepool next weekend? :locomotive:

* as noted in the Editorial in Model Rail June 2012

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Hi All

Yes looking forward to being there at Hartlepool with Peter Ray & Polly, whick I think is the weekend of the 8th & 9th of July 2012... I beleive that is the date of the show... Is that right Peter as that's what I have down for,,, can you confirm the date...?

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Yes looking forward to being there at Hartlepool with Peter Ray & Polly, whick I think is the weekend of the 8th & 9th of July 2012... I beleive that is the date of the show... Is that right Peter as that's what I have down for,,, can you confirm the date...?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, it's the weekend of 7th - 8th July.

Hope Peter doesn't mind me stepping in here but Ray said I need to up my posts so that Peter can add me as a 'friend'. It appears I haven't submitted the required number yet. :cry:

See you soon.

Polly

• Like 2

Hi All

Well Ray has been over and has sorted a few problems out , thanks Ray.

Have today completed the new selector plate in the fiddle yard and it works well. This I hope will sort out the problems that we have been having with the wear on the old flippers and connection of the cassettes, which have in the past derailed the stock. At present that end of the layout is in the fireplace over the wood burning stove and is hard to get the camera in. Will take a few shots later and post them.

Cheers Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 1

Hi Peter.

Will be over tomorrow evening for another familiarisation (play) with the layout and check out the sector plate. I'll bring a few of our latest purchases (4575,45xx and Collet) to test on DC before chipping them. We could take them to Hartlepool as a backup but will need a couple of your couplings modified for NEM sockets.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Hi Ray...

Sound good mate, if I can make it up to Peter, I'll see you there... got some Family & Friends with me at the moment and need Food, so Ill see...

Looking forward to Hartlepool...

Jamie