Porth Eithin

trains12

Hi Peter

I'll add a comment to prove I've been here - I'm trying to view a lot of the layouts now, and I have commented on your distillery offering already - sorry I've not been to this thread before, but RM Web has become a very big website with a vast range of layouts, and as much as anything, lack of time has meant I can't get everywhere.

I have seen this in the monthlies before and was well impressed then - to be able to sit in on a masterclass on how it was built and extended is a privilege indeed. I really admire what you've done here, and, well, all the superlatives have already been used up by previous posters.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Many thanks for your comments. I am glad that you like it. I have finished the construction of the over bridge last night but it still needs to be painted. I will post some more shots today when I have taken them. Off to the unit now to complete the final wiring of the two points that were moved.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi All

Well as promised here are a couple of shots of the over bridge in position on the layout. A few minor adjustments and then it can be painted and fitted in position.

Have just fitted the two point motors and true to sods law on of them is not working on one of the coils. Will have to strip it out and fit another in its place.

The new back scenes boards have been cut and will be painted a light blue for sky effect before fitting in place. These will be removable for transport but will have Velcro and a couple of pins to hold them on.

Peter

post-6915-044449500 1283948216_thumb.jpg

post-6915-045210300 1283948225_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

What a fantastic layout, how I've missed this before I just don't know. Simply stunning.

I love the bridge... a first class piece of craftsmanship!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for the comments. A friend called round this after noon while I was painting the bridge and said it was a little to ornate for a small Cornish harbour town. So here is the history behind the building of the bridge. (In real life?)

During the Napoleonic War 1806-1814 the small ship yards around the shores of Porth Eithin built some small ships for the British Fleet. After the final land battle of Waterloo, which crushed Napoleon, it was decided by the town council that there should be a monument to celebrate the part that the town had played in these events. In the end the bridge was built.

Well that’s my story why it is so ornate and I am sticking to it.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

well I have installed the new bridge onto the layout after painting it. It needs atouch of weathering to make it blend in more with the background of the mill.Will get this done today.

Also completed , correction would have been, the new back boards. Got them all painted yesterday down at the unit and left outside to dry the paint and forgot about them in the nice sunshine when you gussed it a down pour. By the time I got them in they look like an abstract art showing big round spots on a blue backgroud where the paint had washed of. Will have to repaint them now.

Also a shot of the middle sidings now finished with the clay deposits around the track.

Peter

post-6915-043009700 1284303217_thumb.jpg

post-6915-087569200 1284303227_thumb.jpg

post-6915-022143200 1284303236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Sorry I never got down over this weekend to see the layout, it's coming on good now, just the back board to do now to complete it all, are all the points been done and fixed now...!

I will back home next week so I will be down to see you.

Great photos mate of the Bridge work...etc

Jamie

Hi all

Just a shot of Wendy painting the back boards. The paint is not covering very well and will still need a further coat before they are finished. Just a few minor items to complete over the weekend before the big show next weekend at ModeRail Live.

Peter

post-6915-021790500 1284739965_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

I being to wunder if people dont like the layout? I dont seam to be getting any comments on it should I be doing something more on the the layout that will make it more intresting? Please let us know as it gets a bit lonely here in Wet Wales.

Peter

Hi peter i think the layout is excellent china clay layouts i just love um;) would like to see some more pics.

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I've been following your thread with great interest, and I enjoy your style of modelling. What is you progress, any more photos you have, we will all greatfully recieve. Keep up the good work

Regards

Hi Chris.

Thank you for the comments. Progress until yesterday lunchtime was great. All ready for this coming weekend then I decided to do a final test before stripping it down. Sod's law one of the point motors with its micro switch has gone down. Spent up to ten hours now and still cannot find what the short on it is. Replaced both the motor and switch but still have short. Well there is still some time tonight and tomorrow before it is packed up.

Peter

post-6915-055052100 1285161503_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter, looking forward to seeing this layout soon. How did you go about researching the buildings for the new extention that you are planning/building to represent the china clays dries at the other end of the branch?

Cheers Paul

Hi all

Most of the research for the models comes mainly from two sources. One is from first hand experiences and viewing of items or locations. When ever I go out I take my cameras with me and shoot items, buildings etc. that may one day be of use in making a model. To this end I have built up a collection of about 80,000 plus slides, photos , together with items that I have obtained at shops swap meets and of course EBay.

The other area is my collection of books, plans drawings, acts, articles and other items which is Known as The Railway Study Centre collection. This is housed in my study room.

Nothing can really beat seeing the area that you intend to model or base a model on.

post-6915-021899600 1285182785_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

Most of the research for the models comes mainly from two sources. One is from first hand experiences and viewing of items or locations. When ever I go out I take my cameras with me and shoot items, buildings etc. that may one day be of use in making a model. To this end I have built up a collection of about 80,000 plus slides, photos , together with items that I have obtained at shops swap meets and of course EBay.

The other area is my collection of books, plans drawings, acts, articles and other items which is Known as The Railway Study Centre collection. This is housed in my study room.

Nothing can really beat seeing the area that you intend to model or base a model on.

Wow i could sit in that study for hours with a cup of tea :D better than my local libarey.

cheers

Hi all

Well Porth Eithin is all packed up ready to load tomorrow into the trailer ready for Model Rail Live this weekend. Paul & I are looking forward to it. I have never been to BarrowHill so I will be keen to see the site.

We should be there about 2.00pm so looking forward to meeting in person some of the other RMweb guys with their layouts and also other members. Please make yourselves known.

Well now the refurbishment is complete the next stage is the three new boards that will make up the new terminus at the Drying Sheds. I have been drawing out the various sheds and buildings that are going to be required for this end of the layout but cannot make my mind up on the amount of sidings and buildings. Many of the ideas that I had sketched a few years ago for the layout have been done in other layouts notablu Wheal Elisabeth, so I am trying to developed sheds that fullfill want I want but do not seem a copy of other modellers efforts. In the end it may be a compromise between the two areas.

I still don’t know if I should keep it within this thread or start a new thread. I already have the name for the new extension Wheal Isaf Torr. :unsure:

It will be 12ft long by 2ft 6in wide. Will try and get the drawing(s) of the layout(s) on next week when back from the show.

Peter

r

Wow i could sit in that study for hours with a cup of tea :D better than my local libarey.

cheers

Hi dude...

Peter as a Holiday Cottage to LET for holidays, ask hime about it and ask Peter to throw in FREE ACCESS to the Library for the week... I know from all the books I have seen, it will take more that a week to read just what you see in the picture, theirs down stairs too and whats not in view on the photo.

Jamie

Hi all

Well Porth Eithin is all packed up ready to load tomorrow into the trailer ready for Model Rail Live this weekend. Paul & I are looking forward to it. I have never been to Barry Hill so I will be keen to see the site.

We should be there about 2.00pm so looking forward to meeting in person some of the other RMweb guys with their layouts and also other members. Please make yourselves known.

Well now the refurbishment is complete the next stage is the three new boards that will make up the new terminus at the Drying Sheds. I have been drawing out the various sheds and buildings that are going to be required for this end of the layout but cannot make my mind up on the amount of sidings and buildings. Many of the ideas that I had sketched a few years ago for the layout have been done in other layouts notable Wheal Elisabeth, so I am trying to developed sheds that fore fill want I want but do not seam a copy of other modellers efforts. In the end it may be a compromise between the two areas.

I still don’t know if I should keep it within this thread or start a new thread. I already have the name for the new extension Wheal Isaf Torr. :unsure:

It will be 12ft long by 2ft 6in wide. Will try and get the drawing(s) of the layout(s) on next week when back from the show.

Peter

r

Hi Peter

Looking forward to seeing you at the Model Rail Live...! at Barrow Hill, Round House in Chesterfield near Derby, this week end and hopefully will see new uploads of photos when you return.

Jamie

Hi all

First and foremost I must say a great big thank you to all the staff at Model Rail and at Barrowhill for such an enjoyable weekend. Yes we know there were a few hitches and hiccups but for me as an exhibitor together with Paul, Jamie and Wendy (who kept us well supplied with tea & Coffee Thank You Wendy) we all enjoyed the event.

From a personal point of view with the layout Porth Eithin we had a major problem in that last thing on Friday night the main point motor into the layout broke. This was fixed Saturday morning but then for some unknown reasons, we had a power surge that blew the RCD out, and is now US, then the 3 amp fuse in the plug and then both the power trans formers, T1 & T3, Thanks to the efforts of DCC supplies who found a T1 for us and Gaugemaster who advised us how to wire it up so that both the controllers and points could be used we managed to get the layout up and running by 11.00am but it did not work so well on the points on the crossings. But most people enjoyed it and many nice comments were made about the scenery.

Our woes did not end there. On the way home part of the lights on the trailer packed in and it appears that I drove the last fifty miles with just the number plate light on. I think all this is down to the fact that on Friday morning while packing I broke my shaving mirror.

Here are some shots taken during the show. We have already received a booking for the layout next year and a further possibly other one.

Any way a really great show. Thanks to Sally Mills for all her help and to Ben, Chris and the rest of the team. Please do it again next year Chris.

Peter

post-6915-016736800 1285851102_thumb.jpg

After setting up on Friday night. Counld not fit the engine into the stock box on packing up.

post-6915-021451600 1285851120_thumb.jpg

The three workers? Paul, Jamie, and Jamies Wendy (my Wendy was at home) Many thanks to them for all the help.

post-6915-074244500 1285851097_thumb.jpg

The China Clay boat.

post-6915-066344800 1285851106_thumb.jpg

The parcels railcar at the station.

post-6915-068151400 1285851110_thumb.jpg

The bubble car coming into the station.

post-6915-059742500 1285851115_thumb.jpg

The afternoon goods awaiting to depart. I think it was this wagon the Baldrick was asking about. The load was just two items that I found in the junk box and so mounted them on a wagon.

• Like 1

If you come next (if there is a next year) then I'm going to try and link a visit to the UK. Would love to see Porth Eithin in operation........

Is your beard recent? I saw Dave Lowery in a pic too and you could be brothers!smile.gif

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

Had the beard for some 35 plus years. If you do come over let us know then you can come and visit us in North Wales and see the layouts. Dave and me brothers!! Could be but I am the more handsome one!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Peter

Guest baldrick25

The afternoon goods awaiting to depart. I think it was this wagon the Baldrick was asking about. The load was just two items that I found in the junk box and so mounted them on a wagon.

Hi trains12,

It was indeed the wagon. I just thought it might be something to do with clay mining or extraction etc, certainly looks very authentic for the layout.

thanks.

Hi Pete

Had the beard for some 35 plus years. If you do come over let us know then you can come and visit us in North Wales and see the layouts. Dave and me brothers!! Could be but I am the more handsome one!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Peter

Peter,

Ha! Me too, but I could have sworn you were clean shaven in the Model Rail feature on Porth Eithin.....getting old sucks big time. I may well hold you to your offer but my chances of coming to Wales have diminished somewhat since my brother, who lived there, passed away this year.

Thank you, Pete.

Hi all

First and foremost I must say a great big thank you to all the staff at Model Rail and at Barrowhill for such an enjoyable weekend. Yes we know there were a few hitches and hiccups but for me as an exhibitor together with Paul, Jamie and Wendy (who kept us well supplied with tea & Coffee Thank You Wendy) we all enjoyed the event.

From a personal point of view with the layout Porth Eithin we had a major problem in that last thing on Friday night the main point motor into the layout broke. This was fixed Saturday morning but then for some unknown reasons, we had a power surge that blew the RCD out, and is now US, then the 3 amp fuse in the plug and then both the power trans formers, T1 & T3, Thanks to the efforts of DCC supplies who found a T1 for us and Gaugemaster who advised us how to wire it up so that both the controllers and points could be used we managed to get the layout up and running by 11.00am but it did not work so well on the points on the crossings. But most people enjoyed it and many nice comments were made about the scenery.

Our woes did not end there. On the way home part of the lights on the trailer packed in and it appears that I drove the last fifty miles with just the number plate light on. I think all this is down to the fact that on Friday morning while packing I broke my shaving mirror.

Here are some shots taken during the show. We have already received a booking for the layout next year and a further possibly other one.

Any way a really great show. Thanks to Sally Mills for all her help and to Ben, Chris and the rest of the team. Please do it again next year Chris.

Peter

post-6915-016736800 1285851102_thumb.jpg

After setting up on Friday night. Counld not fit the engine into the stock box on packing up.

post-6915-021451600 1285851120_thumb.jpg

The three workers? Paul, Jamie, and Jamies Wendy (my Wendy was at home) Many thanks to them for all the help.

post-6915-074244500 1285851097_thumb.jpg

The China Clay boat.

post-6915-066344800 1285851106_thumb.jpg

The parcels railcar at the station.

post-6915-068151400 1285851110_thumb.jpg

The bubble car coming into the station.

post-6915-059742500 1285851115_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter

Great Photos dude...!

Love to see more than that, as we took loads between us im sure we did...

It was great to be there in person with Wendy and Paul with Yourself... Hopefully Ian Lewis will have us again for future non model Rail atendance at the DPS... and hopefully GTD will be taken, that would be great, i will have a word with Ian Lewis at DPS...

Regard

Jamie