RMweb

BR(S) 4TC conversion to 4CIG?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I would like to ask the Southern EMU guys their option on a possible conversion in 4mm scale.

I have taken a look at the Kernow  (Bachmann) 4mm scale 4TC set. To my untrained eye it looks very similar to the earlier 4CIG units delivered to the SR between 1965/66 for work on the Brighton line.

As I do not have any diagrams of either type of  unit, l was wondering, part from motorising the 4TC, what other alterations (if practical)  would be required to make an acceptable 4CIG? 

I suspect that if it was an easy conversation Kernow would have already considered it!

Cheers

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

As I do not have any diagrams of either type of  unit, l was wondering, part from motorising the 4TC, what other alterations (if practical)  would be required to make an acceptable 4CIG?

Just type 4cig and 4tc in Google images - the window layout is totally different.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Just type 4cig and 4tc in Google images - the window layout is totally different.

Hi HN

I d tried looking at google etc, almost all the images were 3/4 view, so l could not be sure, hence my question. At least l know now

many thanks 

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried the Barrowmore Model Railway Group website. They have BR Diagram books on there. You may at least be able to compare window spacings

and configuration. The dimensions of the bodies are obviously the same, being MK1 derivatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The 4TCs were converted from loco hauled stock (TSO-FK-BSK-TSO) so were very similar to their loco hauled equivalents (except that a driving cab and driver's vestibule replaced the existing vestibule and toilets at each end and a replacement door was put in the end seating bay).

The 4CIGs, while being Mark 1 outline, had a completely different layout.  The driving trailers were composites with first class compartments adjacent to the driver's vestibule and cab and a second class open saloon at the inner end.  The trailer second was a nine bay saloon (as opposed to eight bays on a TSO) with no toilets and doors in the centre seating bay in place of a vestibule.  The motor brake second had a six bay saloon, a guard's compartment and a very short van area.  None of the vehicles had a loco-hauled Mark 1 equivalent.

Hope that helps,

Keith

Alton.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your help chaps, looks like coach sides are the way to go on this. What's the betting by the time l ve finished this project, Bachmann/Hornby will announce their own version !

Thanks again lads

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Thanks for your help chaps, looks like coach sides are the way to go on this.

Am I imagining it or were Hornby upgrading the VEP? If they improve the fronts, that could be an alternative starting point if you are adding sides anyway, and already powered.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Am I imagining it or were Hornby upgrading the VEP? If they improve the fronts, that could be an alternative starting point if you are adding sides anyway, and already powered.

No you're not imagining it! Hornby are indeed revamping the 4-VEP (aka class 423) with expected delivery of Summer 2023.  See this in the Engine Shed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

If it is any help if you go to dartcastings webb site and look under carriage sides they have a photograph of their etched sides for 4CIG units they also do etched sides for 4TC units ,you might be able to compare these,also Model Railway constructor did scale drawings for the 4CIG i cant remember what year or month could have been the late 70s early 80s ,i think the article might have been ride to work on an egg ,it might be in the southern electric groups modelling index i hope this info is of some help.

• Thanks 1