Phoenix Precision has acquired Metro Models

Darius43

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, d00m said:

Just looked at their site. All the tube and sub-surface stock is currently priced at £0.00!

They have only just acquired the range so are presumably still getting a handle of what they have got and what they should price it at.

Either that or they are giving stuff away for free…

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, d00m said:

Just looked at their site. All the tube and sub-surface stock is currently priced at £0.00!

As Darius says, as they've only just taken over the range, there will be lots of accumulated stock to go through, catalogue, moulds to inspect and catalogue, prices to calculate and so on. All this takes a lot of time like it did with the exKirk range and others. The fact the range has been aquired and will return is the important thing as very few companies produce such stock.

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, GoingUnderground said:

I was under the impression that Metromodels had moved mostly to 3D printing via firms like Shapeways. So there would be very few moulds to catalogue.

They had a few other items I expect that were not sold any more. Plus the conversion bits. 

When I spoke with PPP at gets they mentioned they were evaluating the 3d printed models and that they were unsure if they'd meet their requirements in the current form. Hints were made that as a company they had access to injection moulding and it was one option that could be taken to replace some or all of the range. How true or whether that happens I can't say really. 

We'll know more in time I expect as they're also now working on the mailcoach and kirk range from the coopercraft stable, with the coopercraft moulds going to cambrian. 

I'd be very nevous of spending serious money on injection moulding tooling given the way that the main RTR manufacturers seem to be moving into previously neglected areas such as LT/LU rolling stock, especially as they are of limited interest to most modellers and have few options for alternate liveries. The late Phil Radley's approach of making resin castings would seem at least to me to be the better way to go on models with a potentially limited appeal. 

The change of ownership of Metromodels and the pause in availability of their models combined with the question mark over the future of the Radley Models business following the passing of Phil Radley means that the future of LT/LU modelling looks a bit bleak at the moment. 

36 minutes ago, GoingUnderground said:

I'd be very nevous of spending serious money on injection moulding tooling given the way that the main RTR manufacturers seem to be moving into previously neglected areas such as LT/LU rolling stock, especially as they are of limited interest to most modellers and have few options for alternate liveries. The late Phil Radley's approach of making resin castings would seem at least to me to be the better way to go on models with a potentially limited appeal. 

London Transport Museum shop is still selling the Bachmann S Stock Four Car Set 2022

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/s-stock-four-car-set-2022

But the price may well convince people that 3D or resin casting models are fine?

£595

Edited by KeithMacdonald
Price typo

I know, but S Stock is only OK if you're modelling the last 10 years. Besides there have been 3 previous batches of S Stock so far, all from Bachmann. 

But what about the A60/A62, C69/C77, D, F, O/CO, P/CP, Q38, R and T Stock, the Dreadnought Coaches, the District Electric Loco, the various battery locos, and the Standard, '60, '67/'72, '73, '84, '95 and '08 Tube Stock that were in the product lineups for Metromodels and Radley Models at various times in the last 15+ years? 

IMHO, right now, the cupboard looks decidedly bare. 

Edited by GoingUnderground
Change reference to C Stock to C69/C77

Very bare indeed. And I think the S-Stock re-release is going to dissuader RTR manufacturers more... not less. London Underground is a niche market, and also in the most expensive end for train-sets (EMUs). Although Bachmann did back themselves into a hole by making the S-Stock exclusive to LTM.

Beyond the mainline engines that crossover onto the London Underground (Class 20s, 66s)... there really isn't that much unique tube stock out there. 

• RMweb Premium

Really, if Heljan didn't think they could get the volumes needed to offer Dreadnoughts with their Metropolitan-Vickers locomotives, it doesn't bode well for anyone to offer much in the way of RTR multiple units, which tend to be less popular than loco-hauled stock in any case.

We might get a Bachmann/EFE 59/62 stock in due course (but these were never as iconic as the 38 stock), and I suppose we might get one of the modern tube stock incarnations, perhaps via the LT Museum in the style of the S stock, but I find it hard to see anyone offering a T or A or C/O/P stock, let along anything more obscure.

It certainly is a difficult time for us modellers at the moment. I heard that there was a slim possibility that one of the main manufacturers was looking at flare sides stock. This would be welcome and give many options going forward.

I am hoping that there will be a decision on the future of Radley Models in the near future. 

• 1 year later...
On 05/01/2023 at 22:17, Lord of Narnia said:

It certainly is a difficult time for us modellers at the moment. I heard that there was a slim possibility that one of the main manufacturers was looking at flare sides stock. This would be welcome and give many options going forward.

I am hoping that there will be a decision on the future of Radley Models in the near future. 

I'm guessing of course, but I belive this talk of doom and gloom refers to 4mm LT modelling. It seems to me that 7mm LT railway modelling has never been so popular.