Basingstoke huge layout in Spain

mabel

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the huge Basingstoke layout is still at Mora La Nova museum in Tarragona? It was built by an ex pat. He used to have a build blog on here but for some reason he took the posts down.  The chaps rmweb name was The Duke 71000. We are off on holiday in the area and would like to visit if the layout is still there. Cant seem to contact anyone on site for confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Tony

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, mabel said:

Does anyone know if the huge Basingstoke layout is still at Mora La Nova museum in Tarragona? It was built by an ex pat. He used to have a build blog on here but for some reason he took the posts down.  The chaps rmweb name was The Duke 71000. We are off on holiday in the area and would like to visit if the layout is still there. Cant seem to contact anyone on site for confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Is this the same person? @Duke 71000

• RMweb Gold

Whilst undoubtedly a very clever and talented modeller, he was a somewhat attritional character on here.

It didn't end well however it ended, but the toys were well and truly out of the pram.

To return to the original question, for the amount of effort that went into Basingstoke I can't see it not still being in existence, whether he fell out with the museum or not and it's still there is another question!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

As is often the case with questions on RMWeb a quick internet search will bring something up

https://us.Hornby.com/community/forum/basingstoke-1958-67-87ft-x-25ft?p=14%2F&ccm_paging_p=20&ccm_order_by=&ccm_order_by_direction=

This is two years old though. I have not followed up any other possible search results.

I had already found that. I think he posted some similar on the Dapol forum around the same time. I do remember him deleting his posts on rmweb some time back under a bit of a cloud (I didn’t know what, or why). Politics aside, as we are holidaying not too far from the area, I would have liked to have seen the layout. I’ve heard nothing back from the museum and a Google image search of the facility doesn’t bring up any suggestion of a model railway there either. 
Thanks for your replies and input chaps. If we get to visit the place, and the layout is there, I will report back.

Tony

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is the RMWeb thread although, as pointed out, stuff has been removed (some of the later posts indicate how the disagreements might have arisen but I’m staying out of that): 

Also interesting was his thread about goings on at the railway museum itself (in Spain, where he was building the layout). I don’t know if that’s gone completely now though.

Even if the layout isn’t there any more, surely the museum itself is of interest? It does appear to only be open at weekends though: https://museuferrocarril.cat/horaris-i-tarifes/

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• 2 months later...