Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

1 minute ago, Derekl said:

I am not sure what that is, but it is definitely not a South African EMU. The SA version of an EMU is cruder, with sharp boxy corners and no buffers.

Ahh, thanks - not sure what made me go for SA for that EMU!!!!!

3 minutes ago, D7063 said:

Thanks Derek - didn't the reactors also need to be 'on load' all the time, and the only way of ensuring enough demand at night was to encourage the use of storage heaters through 'economy 7'?

Not sure about that, but most of CEGB electricity generation was on plants (mostly coal) which were slow to ramp up and down, which is something to do with the enthusiasm for Economy 7.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, D7063 said:

'Ow do Kev😀 could the secrets of the resin, be a health endangering trade secret? ( a bit like the 'fine aroma' chemical plant at Widnes!!!) - glad you like the thread too!

I have no idea of what was in the recipe as, obviously (hopefully obviously!!), this advert is well before my time - but an ingredient used extensively then (within the industry) was asbestos.

(The week I started there, I had to have a medical culminating in chest XRays, for asbestosis. All this was done on site in the plant near Woodlands Rd on the then Bury electric line.)

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, SHMD said:

I have no idea of what was in the recipe as, obviously (hopefully obviously!!), this advert is well before my time - but an ingredient used extensively then (within the industry) was asbestos.

(The week I started there, I had to have a medical culminating in chest XRays, for asbestosis. All this was done on site in the plant near Woodlands Rd on the then Bury electric line.)

Kev.

Ahh, yes asbestos - the wonder material of the time, amazing how ubiquitous it was and how late it was still used in some products (some roof tiles into the 80's I believe). I didn't realise the plant was near to woodlands roads - close enough to see the sparks and smell the ozone from the Bury electrics?

• RMweb Gold

Nah, a leisurely 5 to 10 minute walk away to where there now is a Martial Arts Gym, a bedding shop, and a Distribution centre!

The electrics (class 504 EMUs) were pretty reliable then,1987.

Kev.

• Like 1

Just now, D7063 said:

Actually I just noticed 'Claypole'  on a sticker on one of the Portuguese units front windows!!! ( for those that remember 'Rent  - a - ghost'  😆)

That's where it's just worked in from - Not the place on the East Coast Main line here, but the one outside Buenos Aires and the terminus of  one of the local electric services!

CP sold a few of these units to Argentina in the early 2000's and that photo was taken at Constitucion Station in Buenos Aires in 2009.  It's still got the raised CP logo on the coach side though.

I assume the Claypole in question that the place was named after was an Official of the UK owned Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway.....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Claypole is named after Pedro Claypole who donated/gave the land for the station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claypole,_Buenos_Aires

Claypole sits in Almirante Brown Partido (the Argentine equivalent of a borough) which is named after Admiral William Brown who was an Irish born Argentine admiral and who played a critical role in the Argentine war of independence.

If you fancy disappearing down a wikipedia rabbit hole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_(admiral)

Edited by Morello Cherry
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Morello Cherry said:

Claypole is named after Pedro Claypole who donated/gave the land for the station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claypole,_Buenos_Aires

Claypole sits in Almirante Brown Partido (the Argentine equivalent of a borough) which is named after Admiral William Brown who was an Irish born Argentine admiral and who played a critical role in the Argentine war of independence.

If you fancy disappearing down a wikipedia rabbit hole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_(admiral)

Wow - thanks 'MC' I've only just returned from that particular 'rabbit hole' - thanks for posting the link!!!!

Good evening 😀 - hope you're all well!

Tonight we have an example of a foreign manufacturer, looking to pick up some UK business in the 1960's  - French in this case

That electric loco has 4,000hp and sports silicon rectifiers no less!!!

Don't worry - I've got some more 'home market' UK stuff coming up - mind you that diesel electric puts me in mind of a co-co version of a class 73  for some reason😆

R7.jpg

• Like 6

Hello everyone 🙂

Some more familiar looking UK railway related equipment this evening. I think this ad also contains the worst pun of the collection so far!!!!

Some interesting looking signals depicted in the artwork and the stylised locomotive depicted makes an appearance on some of the other adverts too. Looks like the same artist was commissioned to do a few of these!

It's hard now to imagine a pre internet world of vacuum tubes linking premises together as part of a communication network, but these vacuum systems were quite common - there was one in my local Co-op, that they used to put cheques in, when someone used this payment method at the till.

I've also noticed that the company's phone number ends in '-8'  - was that the extension?

R8.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, D7063 said:

I've also noticed that the company's phone number ends in '-8'  - was that the extension?

No, I think it means that they had 8 telephone lines and you could ask for/dial any of 80221 to 80228 inclusive. 

Andrew

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Sitham Yard said:

...... they had 8 telephone lines and you could ask for/dial any of 80221 to 80228 inclusive. 

Andrew

For automatic exchanges it is known as Group Hunting. If you dialled 80221 but that 'line' was busy (engaged), the exchange equipment (the Final Selector) would automatically step you on to the next 'free' line, in the designated Group, e.g. 80222, or if that was also 'busy', 80223 etc. The only time, as a caller, you would hear the engaged tone would be if all 8 lines were busy.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, iands said:

For automatic exchanges it is known as Group Hunting. If you dialled 80221 but that 'line' was busy (engaged), the exchange equipment (the Final Selector) would automatically step you on to the next 'free' line, in the designated Group, e.g. 80222, or if that was also 'busy', 80223 etc. The only time, as a caller, you would hear the engaged tone would be if all 8 lines were busy.

This was once quite common and would (usually) result in you getting (quite quickly) through to someone that was completely useless for your call!

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah the old PBX group! Normally in advertising they would put the first number only, with something like '5 lines' in brackets. The final selector doing the hunting over the group, but I'm not sure that the PBX hunting would work if you dialled anything other than the 1st line. I'll have to check this, I've not got true PBX groups set up on my UAX12 at the minute, only the outgoing junctions, and I don't know if I've got the PBX pins in them!

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 24/09/2022 at 20:12, D7063 said:

That electric loco has 4,000hp and sports silicon rectifiers no less!!!

Assuming it’s in the very early 60s, that’s serious tech, in that traction rectifiers had used germanium, rather than silicon, diodes until very recently, and mercury-arc rectifiers not long before. It was only 10-15 years since industrial frequency electrification had become truly viable at all, and the French were top dogs in the subject.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, D7063 said:

Hello everyone 🙂

Some more familiar looking UK railway related equipment this evening. I think this ad also contains the worst pun of the collection so far!!!!

Some interesting looking signals depicted in the artwork and the stylised locomotive depicted makes an appearance on some of the other adverts too. Looks like the same artist was commissioned to do a few of these!

It's hard now to imagine a pre internet world of vacuum tubes linking premises together as part of a communication network, but these vacuum systems were quite common - there was one in my local Co-op, that they used to put cheques in, when someone used this payment method at the till.

R8.jpg

Pneumatic tubes are still used in places such as Toll Plazas on bridges, and the till lines at larger supermarkets; saves having to cross lines of traffic, or exposing staff to potential thieves. 

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 40F said:

One from a German book entitled  " Die Deutsche Bundesbhan und Ihre Industrie published in 1950

Advert003a.jpg

Fantastic - thanks for posting, I'm familiar with 'Brown Boveri' as a name that comes up now and again.

Does the electric loco remind anyone else of the gas turbine loco 18000 (I hope I've got that right!)?

• Agree 1

Brown Boveri was a seriously important firm in respect of electric traction, and electrical technology more widely, Swiss rather than German, founded c1890, and effectively still exists in the form of ABB , created by amalgamation with ASEA, its Swedish opposite number.

I guess the Mannheim address is that of their German subsidiary.

The English language Wikipedia entry about BBC is very weak, missing out oodles of important early electric railway technology, but the German language version is pretty good https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown,_Boveri_%26_Cie.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Another one from a German book entitled  " Die Deutsche Bundesbhan und Ihre Industrie published in 1950

Advert001a.jpg

There are plenty more

Edited by 40F
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 40F said:

Another one from a German book entitled  " Die Deutsche Bundesbhan und Ihre Industrie published in 1950

Advert001a.jpg

There are plenty more

Feel free to post your old adverts for railway equipment too!😀