Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

141 class, I think.

They sounded and looked impressive, and were very reliable, but they had much the same rating as a Class 20, so its sort of a pity that they didn't buy a double-ended version of those.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 17:30, D7063 said:

Feel free to post your old adverts for railway equipment too!😀

Taking up @D7063's suggestion, here is a signalling related advert (The Railway Engineer, April 1920) from the British Power Railway Signalling Co., Ltd for their 3-position 'dwarf' signals recently installed at Victoria Station.

Presumably the signal is capable of displaying red, yellow and green aspects. not wishing to start a 'thread drift', but would anyone know how long they lasted/how successful they were? Also of note, the OLE in the main photo. 

(The advert was an eBay purchase, but sadly just the one page rather than the whole publication). 

1957870954_3Positionsignalposter.jpg.81d962461d0b437734f39cfa8eec293e.jpg

• Like 8

The three position installation is mentioned in here https://www.kentrail.org.uk/london_victoria_7.htm

Im not totally convinced it was the first in Britain though, because I have a suspicion that the District Railway Section to Rayners Lane was signalled that way earlier, it was certainly automatic and American, but I may have misremembered three position. Some of the western part of the Central Line, and thereby the GWR, was also three position, but what date I’m not sure (checked: also 1920, so the claim is down to the month).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, iands said:

Taking up @D7063's suggestion, here is a signalling related advert (The Railway Engineer, April 1920) from the British Power Railway Signalling Co., Ltd for their 3-position 'dwarf' signals recently installed at Victoria Station.

Presumably the signal is capable of displaying red, yellow and green aspects. not wishing to start a 'thread drift', but would anyone know how long they lasted/how successful they were? Also of note, the OLE in the main photo. 

(The advert was an eBay purchase, but sadly just the one page rather than the whole publication). 

1957870954_3Positionsignalposter.jpg.81d962461d0b437734f39cfa8eec293e.jpg

Thanks Iands, I think I may have an advert from this company in my collection too - for some reason the 'Conduit Street' address sounds familiar 😆. I think Nearholmer has been able to supply the additional info that you were after - thanks again Nearholmer!!

That OHL equipment that you mention looks a bit light weight, almost to tram / trolley bus standards, I don't think I have seen that style before.

• Like 1

Well it's time for another advert...

Up tonight we have a nice Lathe (supplied to Railway Workshops since 1865)  from a manufacturer based in Keighley (Yorkshire) with a promise of a descriptive catalogue on request!

I like the colours in this one, and that sort of slightly touched up looking black and white image of the lathe.

R15.jpg

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, D7063 said:

Up tonight we have a nice Lathe (supplied to Railway Workshops since 1865)  from a manufacturer based in Keighley (Yorkshire) with a promise of a descriptive catalogue on request!

I like the colours in this one, and that sort of slightly touched up looking black and white image of the lathe.

R15.jpg

The guy taking us for Workshop Tech 'O' level at my school (in the Colne Valley) reckoned these were the finest lathes built in the UK

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Isn't it behind the toolpost? With the two extension handles?

That's the compound slide.

(That just happens to be in line with the x-axis.)

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/09/2022 at 21:12, D7063 said:

That electric loco has 4,000hp and sports silicon rectifiers no less

Got that model made by Fleischmann - bought it years ago.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I guess the clue is in the name "Surfacing and Boring Lathe", neither of which processes (usually) can use a Tailstock.

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There was a Sentinal 0-8-0 at Longmoor. I think it was preserved. Probably quietly rusting away somewhere, since I doubt it is particularly useful for most heritage lines.

Here's some lovely newsreel footage of it: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-loco-for-res/query/Longmoor

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

Not a Sentinel but it is an 0-8-0. East African Railways 46 class (originally 86 class) Cummins engine.

L4612-1.jpg.7194cae0af6ad95b742820636e8eff0d.jpg

Brilliant - there can't be too many industrial 0-8-0's around surely? after all industrials were designed to navigate tight curves and needed a short wheel base!!

38 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

There was a Sentinal 0-8-0 at Longmoor. I think it was preserved. Probably quietly rusting away somewhere, since I doubt it is particularly useful for most heritage lines.

Here's some lovely newsreel footage of it: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-loco-for-res/query/Longmoor

Excellent - General Lord Robertson does well not too knock his cap off as he ducks back into the cab to take the controls of that Sentinel 0-8-0

56 minutes ago, D7063 said:

Brilliant - there can't be too many industrial 0-8-0's around surely? after all industrials were designed to navigate tight curves and needed a short wheel base!!

Well, the Army had I think six Barclays built in 1965, and there were some 30” (I think) gauge ones at a steel works in north wales (Shotton?). I can’t recall who built them (Hunslet?) but I seem to remember that they were called The Badger Class. All a bit vague; sorry!

Too vague, I’m afraid. The Hudswell Clarke Badgers were 0-6-0 with jackshaft drive, rather than 0-8-0.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, D7063 said:

According to Scale Drawings in Railway Modeller 2000 September, some 300 0-8-0's were built in a variety of styles & types. So obviously a fair demand, for heavy duty locomotives.

• Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

ironically there is still one in Ferryhill yard connected to a more modern point with flat bottomed rail!

Long lived then! I suspect there'll be a few more, scattered around the network.

I've got some 4mm scale kits to assemble, for installing on my model of Scalby. Little details like that make such a difference.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 19:34, D7063 said:

R15.jpg

Well OT, but the Boardroom at Dean Smith and Grace used to have a great view of the Keighley and Worth Valley - which was rather more interesting than the Marketing Director's product presentation when I visited, many years ago.

I felt for him, though - this was in the mid Eighties and we may have been the first trade journalists to visit in years. They had oiled the hinges on the executive drinks cabinet, and doubtless lads on t'shop floor had spiled a firkin of Timmy Taylor's finest - but sadly this was the start of the Yuppie/Hipster era, and all the bright young things in sharp suits wanted was Perrier! However, being old school I kept the directors company, and was later poured into a suitable train. Mind you, I did get the story about the new (American) owners' plans which hadn't been on the agenda until the drink loosened a few tongues! (The yanks were interested not for the machine tools but because DSG had an accredited foundry for Meehanite, a type of spheroidal graphite cast iron).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, lanchester said:

Well OT, but the Boardroom at Dean Smith and Grace used to have a great view of the Keighley and Worth Valley - which was rather more interesting than the Marketing Director's product presentation when I visited, many years ago.

I felt for him, though - this was in the mid Eighties and we may have been the first trade journalists to visit in years. They had oiled the hinges on the executive drinks cabinet, and doubtless lads on t'shop floor had spiled a firkin of Timmy Taylor's finest - but sadly this was the start of the Yuppie/Hipster era, and all the bright young things in sharp suits wanted was Perrier! However, being old school I kept the directors company, and was later poured into a suitable train. Mind you, I did get the story about the new (American) owners' plans which hadn't been on the agenda until the drink loosened a few tongues! (The yanks were interested not for the machine tools but because DSG had an accredited foundry for Meehanite, a type of spheroidal graphite cast iron).

On 02/10/2022 at 19:34, D7063 said:

R15.jpg

If I were trying to sell my product to an employer, I'm not sure I'd describe it as "proved to be particularly suitable for chucking work".

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Long lived then! I suspect there'll be a few more, scattered around the network.

I've got some 4mm scale kits to assemble, for installing on my model of Scalby. Little details like that make such a difference.

It'd be great if you posted a photo when you've got one of those levers in situ on your layout Mark :)