Farish TfW CL769

jpendle

• RMweb Gold

The TFW units don’t serve any electrified routes and only use the diesel engine, so the pantograph was removed to avoid damage & simplify maintenance. It could be refitted if needed for bi-mode use. 

Tom. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jpendle said:

I'm struggling to work out how they can be Bi_mode without them.

Haha, yeah, I too was scratching my head trying to figure out how the TfW was actually bi-mode….!

One thing I have noticed with mine, is that one of the driving vehicles has a third-rail shoe beam on the cab-end bogie - I find no evidence for this online from photos or videos…. is this perhaps where the missing Thameslink third-rail bogies got to…. 🤣 ?!

It would be good to know if others have the same…. I don’t believe it to be correct…. I am minded to ask Bachmann for a replacement…. in the same manner that they are correcting the Thameslink one….

1 hour ago, JR_P said:

One thing I have noticed with mine, is that one of the driving vehicles has a third-rail shoe beam on the cab-end bogie - I find no evidence for this online from photos or videos…. is this perhaps where the missing Thameslink third-rail bogies got to…. 🤣 ?!

It would be good to know if others have the same…. I don’t believe it to be correct…. I am minded to ask Bachmann for a replacement…. in the same manner that they are correcting the Thameslink one….

The TFW ones don't have shoe beams. 

The Farish 319 / 769 has the shoebeams fitted on one driving car. For the 319 they should be both ends. The end without shows the mounting holes for the shoe beam so it must be a separate part, so the easiest thing is probably just to remove excess shoe beams on one end of the 769

Jo

• Like 1

Seems like the nomenclature used by the lessor is misleading unless there is battery storage for electric operation. The version with a pantograph is labelled Tri-mode. Maybe it is Diesel Electric Multiple Unit powered by gravity on the downhill bits. That would do it. :-)

• Funny 1

I believe the TfW 769s are bi-mode (diesel and 25 kw overhead), however as they don't venture under the wires the pantographs have been removed for maintenance purposes.  It's very odd travelling on them, if you travel in the motor car it sounds exactly what you would expect of a 319 (as you can't hear the diesel engines under the driving trailers). 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 22/09/2022 at 13:57, Robert Shrives said:

It does occur that hopefully spare bodies will be available as the non panto car is a dead ringer for 150001/2 middle car. 

Robert  

The TSO(L) car has a toilet unlike the middle coach on 150001/002 - some work would be required

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

The TSO(L) car has a toilet unlike the middle coach on 150001/002 - some work would be required

You can never win! The BRB/ BREL draughtsman must enjoyed the "standarisation" tag..   The pan car is better but of course the roof on the model is moulded with the body side. Even though windows are right !   Certainly the TSOL would be the way forward.   

such musings and fun with filler and files is what keeps me going!

Robert  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

recently got a very good deal on a 769, it’s the only n gauge item I’ve got but I’ve driven it in real life so that’s a good enough excuse. Anyway when I’ve gone to test it today the trailing unit is showing whites when going back and then when leading showing reds. I was hoping someone on here might have an idea, 

thanks 

Jack