RMweb

Br Departmental 6 wheelers R40359/60

Fredo

• RMweb Gold

Departmental stock stopped being crimson in the early 60s, I think, and although they wouldnt be repainted rapidly, you wouldnt have seen any in the 1970s, let alone the era's Hornby list on their website, which I presume is a typo. 

9 hours ago, JohnR said:

Departmental stock stopped being crimson in the early 60s, I think, and although they wouldnt be repainted rapidly, you wouldnt have seen any in the 1970s, let alone the era's Hornby list on their website, which I presume is a typo. 

You could do a six wheeler in blue/grey though…. after all, BR did!

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Still can't get my head round this 'era' business ! 🥴

Neither can the manufacturer's or retailers! Mistakes are all the time - not least because as suggested these are suitable for 1950 to 1980. BR didn't like repainting rolling stock and didn't do a lot of it. Plenty of their own build went from new to condemnation without a repaint., rewriting yes, but over the original very worn livery. And the Private companies are worse - look at the Cavalex TEAs properly representing the Total tanks when new, and as they appear now nearly 40 years later. 

Fortunately, by the mid 1970s books were appearing which listed the surviving engineers coaching stock fleet. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1