The ads are back

rab

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hesperus said:

Ah, it's back again but not everywhere now.  As you can see it makes it quite hard to post a reply.

Screenshot_20221115-215703.png.bc8bcd3472b4d1a4cb99de58eedb2555.pngScreenshot_20221115-215751.png.29e290f9830e46641f5171221d7998e6.png

Ps, Thanks for replying so quickly Andy

Already being discussed here:

I too have no objection to the advertising (understand why it has to be there) pre the latest ones. However, the latest banner style adverts take up a large percentage of an Iphone screen, cover control icons for navigating the website and contain moving/distracting images that prevent reading of what is left of the screen…get rid of them please.

BeRTIe

70B02B59-4C20-443E-8F91-83B3984D72D5.png

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Agree 1

On 15/11/2022 at 12:48, AY Mod said:

the ad placement issue is our ad techies testing and developing ...

Improved today. Thank you Andy. The floating video players now *mostly* have a "close player" button.

It feels like there a lot more of them than there used to be but I haven't proven that to myself. (There's certainly more 'click to close' per page now.)

EDIT
*Sometimes* a page update, like after posting this reply, will result in three additional new players. One floating player on posting and potentially two if you scroll up - the inserted player and a new floating player.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Nothing has changed on my Iphone…despite the assurances above. Please get rid of these overly intrusive advertisements that prevent normal use of this website.

As for paying to provide modellers with accumulated knowledge/experience gained during decades on the railway…dream on!

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I suspect that the only input Andy has in these matters is to strongly suggest (with a baseball bat maybe?) to the ad team at Warner's that what they are doing is beyond what is tolerable.

I really don't envy him at times

I totally agree! I don't envy Andys job at all.

In a strange way I don't mind advertising on this site as at least it's targeted at stuff I'm interested in and keeps me in the loop on whats going on... far better than the random stuff else where. Mind you the video ones and especially the digitrains one has probably had the opposite effect though ;)

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Nothing has changed on my Iphone…despite the assurances above. Please get rid of these overly intrusive advertisements that prevent normal use of this website.

As for paying to provide modellers with accumulated knowledge/experience gained during decades on the railway…dream on!

I've done what I can with who I can, it's not me who hasn't bothered trying to resolve it so quit your barking at me please.

As for your latter point it smacks of self-importance; as users, you, me and everyone ARE hobbyists but it still costs money - even me responding to bolshie comments.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

the quality of the forum environment has to be safeguarded.

Which you can do for the equivalent of £1 per month as a Premium member.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I suspect that the only input Andy has in these matters is to strongly suggest (with a baseball bat maybe?) to the ad team at Warner's that what they are doing is beyond what is tolerable.

I really don't envy him at times

If he can cope with us RMWebbers, he can cope with anything

• Agree 1

On 17/11/2022 at 15:55, BR traction instructor said:

Allowing the beancounters too much influence/control rapidly sends most situations into a tail spin.

Once the beancounters get any kind of say in running a business the future can indeed be bleak. Over many years of running my own business I saw three previously successful businesses destroyed by their actions.

John

Edited by JJGraphics

• Moderators

I'm fed up of the glib insults which have absolutely no relevance to the issue discussed; have some respect and show some emotional intelligence and maturity. Or even put your hand in your pocket, as many have done, to improve your experience.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod locked this topic