Ebay scammer? But how?

Tony Davis

I sold a camera on ebay and sent it via evri to the address guven by ebay, I paid extra to get it signed for just for my own piece of mind. I received a photo from evri showing a photo of the delivery address and a message saying they had been told to return to sender. The next day I had another photo where the courier had replaced the delivery label with one showing the address of the house next door and a message to say they would reattempt

delivery in two days. Two days later another message to say they had been instructed to return to sender. I did receive the (unopened) package and, the same day, a message via ebay saying that the parcel had been received by someone and it wasn’t him. I told him that I had a photo showing the attempted deliveries and that I did not accept returns. I asked him if he would pay the extra postage for me to resend and at first he refused, then agreed, but he wanted it sent to another address. I refused and said I would let ebay sort it out. He asked me to clarify if I had the camera and if I was refusing to send it because he had “accidentally” returned it. I didn’t reply and he raised a case with eBay who messaged me ten days ago to say that they would sort it out within 48 hours.

I suspect a scam but can’t work out how it is being done!

Any thoughts? 

• RMweb Gold

Receiving parcels via Evri has been a nightmare for us. They never knock on the door but leave it on the front porch and email you a photo of it there. On 3 occasions in the last year we've had a parcel delivered this way where it was left on someone else's porch. One we recognized and two we didn't. Hence I would never use Evri to send a parcel and always use Royal Mail either signed-for or tracked. If you buy postage online, you not only get a discount but the postie will collect it from your house, and will even come with a pre-printed label if you request that. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I discussed this with my wife as we are a pair of eBay junkies.

If you now send the camera to a different address from the one supplied by eBay you lose their protection and could end up with no camera and a forced refund.

You still have the camera so our advice would be keep the camera for now and send him a refund, and then you can always try selling the camera again at a later date.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Cancel the sale, refund and then relist (using the time honoured phrase 'Relisted due to timewaster' of course) but before you do, add the first purchaser to your blocked bidders list. he has obviously given you a moody address and is messing you around.

What I want to know is what was the Evri (the infamous My Hermes with a shiny new name) courier doing relabelling a parcel with a new address?  Illegal surely?

• Like 2

I thought the same about the alternative address, I also thought the same about sending him a refund just to get him off my back, but then I thought that maybe his returning the camera would then make it unsolicited goods and he would have to arrange collection at his own expense (but then he might claim that the camera was damaged etc) . I also wondered what was to stop him buying again and me having to go through the same nonsense. I do think that eBay will more than likely tell me to either resend (but who will pay the postage) or refund, but so far they have not made any decision

1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

Cancel the sale, refund and then relist (using the time honoured phrase 'Relisted due to timewaster' of course) but before you do, add the first purchaser to your blocked bidders list. he has obviously given you a moody address and is messing you around.

What I want to know is what was the Evri (the infamous My Hermes with a shiny new name) courier doing relabelling a parcel with a new address?  Illegal surely?

Well yes, exactly. It was a printed label too, not just hand written.

I didn't know I could block bidders, thanks for the heads up

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a surprise happy ending! Ebay today informed me that I was not at fault and the case was now closed! They did also say that ebay would refund the buyer, which I don’t really understand, but hey-ho, all’s well that ends well.

I have also blocked the “buyer” as advised.

• Friendly/supportive 2