Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold

The original perspex cover from the old section of layout has been joined by 2 new covers to help keep the cats out of the catenary. I'm currently thinking of a new extension out at an angle from the diesel depot end, but there will be no OHLE on that bit, so I may just modify one of the covers so it sits over the access to the new section. It won't be for a while as I would like to return to tinkering with locos and other rolling stock for a bit.

image.png.f32c311ce8f2b9d1410d9b42d0e257b7.png

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This week I 'ave mostly been putting Laserglaze in my Bachmann 37. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Managed to lose a lamp bracket, so made a new one out of some flattened fuse wire. One of the jumper sockets came off the circuit board in the nose ends and needed to be resoldered (twice). I found a broken wire to one of the bogie pickups which got repaired, then much swearing whilst I fitted it back together - twice! The Laserglaze went in easily though!

It is now idling on the layout looking superb.

image.png.2e94801e31c18906bf6438a6b6ee610e.png

The jumper socket that came out - JP2

image.png.4a7c2f0bc405b5d5d65b642f91f10f85.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I dropped by the Macclesfield show for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and got my first ever look at Mostyn.

What a splendid layout, and set in one of my favourite parts of the world too!

My oldest model, the eponymous 97406 (40135) was originally created from the Lima model based on Barrowmore's approach. Here's one of theirs.

20230325_145330.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 10

Question, does the Hornby class 87 headlight switch off automatically when the loco is not in motion?

I was observing class 87s at Carlisle in 1987 on YouTube last night and saw that the headlights went off (the side lamp remained illuminated) on all stopping classs  87s.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Question, does the Hornby class 87 headlight switch off automatically when the loco is not in motion?

I was observing class 87s at Carlisle in 1987 on YouTube last night and saw that the headlights went off (the side lamp remained illuminated) on all stopping classs  87s.

Oh goodness, no, alas, this is Hornby we are talking about after all! The marker lights come on with the same brightness as the headlights on the standard model, stay on and they are bluish white LEDs. There is an artistic pause in the lights swapping over when you change direction, but that's it. It's still a very solid model, very precisely moulded, mind!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Nice pictures @97406 of the Hornby class 87. This layout of yours is excellent. I have just ordered a Heljan Class 86 E3114 with small yellow warning panels.👍

Thank you. I’ve got one of those. I like the blue bufferbeams on it. I had the one without the yellow panels too, but it ended up as 86005 in banger blue.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One little thing that I didn't notice until too late was the thickness of the styrene sheet that fixes the OHLE droppers to the gantries. I have found a solution, to add pieces of the same 40 thou styrene in between the droppers so it forms a continuous strip across the portal and paint it grey to match the gantries. Here's one of the prototypes with an unaltered gantry behind. It deceives the eye in the right sort of way.

image.png.0d7124e8374b108bce48f5bea155c8b9.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And now to compare windscreens. There are subtle differences but both the Bachmann and Accurascale look the part. Note the Bachmann example on the left has been Laserglazed to remove the prismatic factory glazing, which is where it sits at a disadvantage, price notwithstanding. Just need the same loving attention being lavished on a Class 40 now.

image.png.983faa334d3756e1b130346b5f3e7f8a.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4