Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

On 10/02/2023 at 23:53, 97406 said:

Nice one. As it’s a fictitious location near Crewe, I can see some of the locos heading your way, especially on the Crewe Works test trains.

It certainly has that crewe feel about it.

97406 currently sat in my yard having arrived on an engineers train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, P.C.M said:

It certainly has that crewe feel about it.

97406 currently sat in my yard having arrived on an engineers train.

The great thing about being near Crewe is the ‘exotic’ traction from other areas that you can get away with.

I’ve done all 4 departmental 40s as I managed to catch them and D200 when I had a resurgence in railways in the late 80s. I grew up near Skelton Junction in Timperley and was used to hearing 40s and 25s in the distance regularly throughout my childhood. Such a great sound. If a new model 40 gets released and it’s up to scratch, I’ll be up for getting a few in early 80s guise for when I run a slightly earlier period. If not then some more Bachmann detailings may follow anyway!

• RMweb Gold

On the original section of the layout, the height of the contact wire was pretty constant, but on the new section is gets lower towards the tunnel entrance. I have therefore embarked on a project to replace all fixed and posable pantographs with springy ones. Yesterday I made a crossarm one from the Judith Edge kit. It nearly didn't make it (just like the last attempt), but I managed it at the last minute and it's far better than my previous 2 attempts. Have a couple more kits on order as I've a class 86 to do and don't want to forget the things I learnt this time round.

image.png.d4e6cb92b55aa1df5570ffbfed9d3f12.png

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been umming and aahing about a 59 as I only saw them at open days and diesel galas back in the day, but then I found this Lima example at the Donny show and went for it. I've added new aprons out of styrene sheet and the bufferbeam detailing, and will rewheel it and sort the atrocious running out next.

image.png.1b924c2fa8bce8002865a4c54f69b7d3.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 47606odin said:

based on the other traction that’s been on the depot, I suspect a big POP would occur when the pan went up

I do have to keep my wits about me when I change the depot voltage!

The original pans on the 76 would have destroyed the wires thanks to being excessively sprung, and difficult to rectify too, so I fitted a couple of Sommerfeldt 941s, themselves with one of the 2 springs removed and now they follow the contact wire in a most pleasing way!

I believe there was talk of converting the Woodhead and at least one 76 to AC. It would have led to some interesting combinations. Pic from Keith Long’s Flickr page.

25kV electric on Woodhead Line

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A panorama made up of 5 images shot from across the room with a little telephoto going on. The images were stitched together using Microsoft Image Composite Editor.

image.png.5e7032929f5fe2c207c9b42c5c9962b2.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7