Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tinsley-toton said:

Looking good 👍

Did 122 have a blue TOPS panel though, I know 106 did.

White on green from what I can tell looking through mid 1980s photos on Flickr as this 1987 photo by Steven Parker hopefully shows .... valid question though which certainly got me looking.

09Q.1987.01.20.carlisle D200..40122  12.57pm

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

Looking good 👍

I thought it did but I may be mixing it up with 106 having taken a closer look at photos of D200. I may just have to tweak it! It’s getting sound fitted next month so will sort it then unless I find some pics with it definitely in blue.

• RMweb Gold

10 minute job to fix. A little carefully applied masking tape removed the old data panels leaving a rectangular glossy patch for the new one to go on. Slid the new one on to some acrylic varnish and it will have a couple of thin coats of matt brushed over it when dry. Thanks for the eyes, folks!

20231229_001936.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

Looking good 👍

I do believe D200 / 40122 had a special commissioned green data panel when it was repainted into the green goddess. Here is a photo that I have sourced from Flickr by Julian Frost

40122 Bristol Temple Meads

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jcarta said:

I do believe D200 / 40122 had a special commissioned green data panel when it was repainted into the green goddess. Here is a photo that I have sourced from Flickr by Julian Frost

40122 Bristol Temple Meads

What a smashing picture too! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Project 81 is go. Bachmann 85 cabs will be grafted onto the 81 mid section and mounted on a Bachmann 85 chassis. The Trix cabs look a good starting point for the Class 83 so will be kept for reuse.

20240103_140736.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The Class 81 is starting to take shape with the Bachmann centre body section replaced with the Trix one.

Liquid poly was used to attach the parts together followed by running a bead of flexible cyanoacrylate around the inside of each join followed by a spray with activator.

It was necessary to file and sand the Trix rear cab roof sections and the cantrails back to match the Bachmann cab profiles.

The recessed gutters have been filled on with car body filler and new tail lamps will be made from styrene tube as the existing lenses refused to budge on 2 tail lamps and the surrounds were slightly damaged trying to remove them. I've also tweaked the holes for the handrails downward a touch on the cab fronts as they are slightly lower than the 85.

I'll do the tail lamps and plated headcode panels next.

20240105_113848.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I’d had a niggling doubt that the Trix and Bachmann bodies weren’t the same profile but that looks really good.

Both the Triang and Trix AL1 bodies have the start of the cantrail curvature a bit too high.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Waveydavey said:

I’d had a niggling doubt that the Trix and Bachmann bodies weren’t the same profile but that looks really good.

Both the Triang and Trix AL1 bodies have the start of the cantrail curvature a bit too high.

I’ve taken quite a bit of plastic off the top of the Trix cab roofs and cantrails. The Trix roof is flatter with sharper corners than the Bachmann one. I literally had a flat sheet of 180 grit and, holding the assembled body upside down, sanded the protruding bits of the Trix roof then refining it with finer and finer grit. I removed up to getting on for a millimetre or so of plastic in places.

Edited by 97406
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The bulk of the body detailing is just about done with just the handrails on the ends left to do. Will get the finish just right and get it into primer before I turn my attention to the chassis.

20240108_073215.jpg.34e509271183247afba42cc8d66a9a1f.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Most of the underframe detail has been scratchbuilt or adapted from the Bachmann mouldings. Just the lifting points and the central support brackets to fit which will follow after painting so they don't get broken by handling the body.

DSCF1356.JPG.b19d03e796b1b55ca9f36b98dd8ef7ca.JPG

DSCF1355.JPG.2d3aedbbbf1900d8a3f6d10fed8050ef.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 81's body's painted and awaiting transfers. I've started weathering the chassis. Not too sure about the lifting points (just behind the cab doors) as they should be level with the bodyside but these are stuck to the chassis so can be easily redone. Once I have applied transfers, varnish and weathering, then the lights, roof details and glazing can go in and we're done.

DSCF1358.JPG.0edc86f9a59cf3ef2cd761e42a97498c.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the earliest projects that I started when I rekindled the hobby during the pandemic was a Class 304 using DC Kits cab fronts on Replica Railways Mk1 suburban coach bodies.

DSCF0622.JPG.6feae67b044726fd15fbdcc2fb70f2ba.JPG

I wasn't happy with the cab windscreens on the completed driving trailer (I think it's the BDTSOL) and the headcode box was too small so i'm rectifying that whilst I'm awaiting the transfers for the 81.

I've cast some new cab roof sections from a silicone mould taken off a Bachmann 108 in car body filler and I have fettled the spare cab front that I thought it prudent to get. Hopefully, I'll only need to repaint the cabs and cab roofs when it's all been assembled and filled.

DSCF1361.JPG.813bc86151b219403108452facb6564c.JPG

The DC Kits cab front's windscreens are different shapes, so they need filing out a touch but I went a little too far on my first attempt.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

And here's both new arrivals becoming acquainted with each other. I've toned down the weathering a touch on 81013 by wiping over the bodysides with a damp cotton wool pad. The enamel brake dust isn’t fully hardened yet so can be worn down a touch.

DSCF1369.JPG.9165a0ef29768e397a24e614e310e449.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The next project is to finish the re-cabbing of the 304 driving trailer so I can move onto the centre car. It's just about ready to paint.

DSCF1378.JPG.ab877bada3c7e845e2c4045fa5290b6d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So you've not been doing your magic on a couple of old Mainline one's then 😄

They’ll have to wait until I’ve finished the next 37! 

9921FFE5-8782-4882-B55D-1B308DDE0BFA.webp.984dbceaed9efd3861e20b1822492633.webp

• Like 1
  • Funny 2