RMweb

WR green Ivatt and Riddles 2MT and 3MT locos

Covkid

On 01/11/2022 at 18:27, Andy Kirkham said:

I think the 82XXX were the only non-GWR tank engines to be painted BR green.

Although there is a published photograph of 82007 84007 at Swindon, fresh out of works in unlined green with the early BR totem, which would imply a date of early 1957.

Edited by jim.snowdon
Error correction.
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

Although there is a published photograph of 84007 at Swindon, fresh out of works in unlined green with the early BR totem, which would imply a date of early 1957.

Are you sure of the number as 84007 was lined black and a LMR Push/Pull fitted engine which spent most of its life in the East Midlands.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1038141792/eb134af82

Jason

Having just had a good look at the forthcoming 3MT from Lionheart/ Dapol, I wonder if they have missed a marketing trick. 82004 was the original Triang loco. There must be a fair number of modellers of a certain age who has this as their first train set and might be prepared to raid the pension pot for a correct to scale example in 0 gauge.

Just a thought!

• RMweb Premium

Well, that depends whether you think the J72s and J83s painted in apple green as station pilots at Newcastle or Waverley count - it's certainly a BR livery and hence, logically, a BR green!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Does anyone know how many 3MT’s received unlined Green livery?
Thanks Fred

Possibly between six and eight. The uncertainty is because some locos lost / regained the lining in green, only having unlined green for a limited time.

In total, 26/44 were painted green. The poverty spec unlined green.seems to be from 1962.

Edited by doilum

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, that depends whether you think the J72s and J83s painted in apple green as station pilots at Newcastle or Waverley count - it's certainly a BR livery and hence, logically, a BR green!

And all those SR ones as well. M7s and O2s for example.

But they were Malachite.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

And all those SR ones as well. M7s and O2s for example.

But they were Malachite.

Well there you go, that's three BR greens. On the whole, though, I'm glad none of the SR's allocation of Standard Class 4 2-6-4Ts were painted malachite - that would be a bit overpowering. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought there was a story of a Fowler 2-6-4 being repainted in green, however I have never seen any absolute evidence for the claim

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 07/11/2022 at 17:35, Blandford1969 said:

I thought there was a story of a Fowler 2-6-4 being repainted in green, however I have never seen any absolute evidence for the claim

Was that for a film?

I'm sure that the one in The Password Is Courage is a colour other than black, at least its tanks are. So quite possibly green. But it was masquerading as a European locomotive complete with smoke deflectors and ISTR an Iron Cross on the tanks.

42325 if so.

Still here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056335/mediaviewer/rm1039798272/

And a few more shots here.

https://railwaymoviedatabase.com/the-password-is-courage/

Jason

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Was that for a film?

I'm sure that the one in The Password Is Courage is a colour other than black, at least its tanks are. So quite possibly green. But it was masquerading as a European locomotive complete with smoke deflectors and ISTR an Iron Cross on the tanks.

42325 if so.

Still here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056335/mediaviewer/rm1039798272/

And a few more shots here.

https://railwaymoviedatabase.com/the-password-is-courage/

Jason

Interesting I did not know about that one .

The reference comes from the Wild Swan , LMS Locomotive Profiles No 3.  Which says 42394 was photographed at Leeds City on the 8th July 1964 - which the caption for is it had unlined BR green tanks, bunker cab front and boiler and firebox. In the book it is published in Black and White on page 59 but says it was a colour view taken by R.J Essery.

Edited by Blandford1969

It can be difficult to tell, even from a colour photo, whether a dirty loco is green or black. Just look at this month's Model Rail where there is a photo of a very dirty 350hp diesel shunter (D3319) with a barely visible early (1949) BR crest which the author claims was still in black - except that the real loco never was black, it was one of the first batch to be painted plain green from new in 1956 before the new (1956) logo became available.

Mind you some of his other captioning is a bit off too.

Edited by bécasse

15 minutes ago, bécasse said:

It can be difficult to tell, even from a colour photo, whether a dirty loco is green or black.

Never mind photographs, in some cases it was difficult to tell if a loco was green or black in real life - for example, some Kingmoor Brits near the end.

• Agree 1