Finney LNER A1/A3 in 4mm

k22009

• RMweb Premium

Hello, that's looking very impressive looking and I'm heartened to read that you say it "it all fits without the need for any fettling of any kind". I can't help thinking though that the easy fit must be pretty dependent on your very evident accuracy though: those are very complex shapes with a lot of possiblities for tiny errors leading to poor fit.

Wonderful to see the charateristic boiler shape emerging at this stage in just bare brass - great job!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The cab roof is made up from the parts shown, the cradle is a fold up item and incorporates the front and rear roof stiffeners which will later be cut away from the frame. Both the roof and the ventilator parts need rolling into a shallow curve before fitting.

20221204_124426.jpg.df7c2bfd797da012a58aca03b4f60aac.jpg

With the front and rear stiffeners positioned it's quite a simple operation to solder everything together, there are a selection of vents with both open and one closed so i've gone for the later option.

20221204_131851.jpg.4848bba8c5c67a3077904e8ca372d72b.jpg

With the jig cut away and a test fit onto the cab. 

20221204_133522.jpg.feedad54805ada43b402712b9621fea5.jpg

20221204_150847.jpg.9010dc850b3f6ffdb2b9ececa293073b.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Now that the main assemblies are assembled it's time to add some of the smaller detail items. First up the mechanical lubricators which are made up from 3 or 4 parts, the unit, base, mechanical lever, and handwheel. These are all tiny items but have gone together ok, i've even managed to make the levers moveable (not that they need to), sandbox filler caps on the left.

20221206_154415.jpg.cb2cbdef7528535fdcffe2e334878699.jpg

I've also been adding the 0.35mm dia copper wire to the pot lubricators for the feeds, not the easiest of jobs to get them through the apertures in the valve cover and into the lubricator, but being copper it flex's a little bit more. 

20221207_121520.jpg.2a13e1646b03dedc1685ed7e0cacd3af.jpg

All done though, soldered from the rear of the pots and once the footplate jig is off i'll cut the wires flush to the footplate underside and dab a spot of solder on them to keep them fixed in situ. With the lubricator feeds done i can also fix the smokebox saddle in place as i don't need access for anything else.

20221207_152805.jpg.2a03947728b7db9848a7d4efcfe2a4d1.jpg

I'll add the handrail knobs to the boiler/firebox assembly along with the pipe brackets for the ejector exhaust pipe and the pipe itself next.

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I've added the handrail pillars and want to add some boiler bands at this stage. I do sometimes just use magic tape but i have some thin copper sheet from Eileens that i have cut a few 1mm wide strips off.

20221211_120144.jpg.12523495c2aaf665a3527bb3544275ad.jpg

Once cut they curl and wriggle all over the place so  they need straightening.

20221211_115324.jpg.29d44bec8be3ee81a5fdf5ec608766ae.jpg

With 2 pairs of pliers just grab each end

20221211_115432.jpg.d0f3f78b97a3e04aa58fe12c10516c4f.jpg

And give the strip about half a dozen pulls so that it twangs, and now should be pretty straight. I do this with coiled wire too.

20221211_115710.jpg.d671b082557917779573f26ad90e584e.jpg

The bands are positioned by the band clips on the underside of the boiler.

20221211_134445.jpg.d0e49447fa61a4f7d5c9e14fb219e24f.jpg

They're thin enough to not look to pronounced, i realise scale bands would be wafer thin and each to there own everyone has different views.

I might cut the footplate assembly out of its cradle/jig next so that i can carry on with the chassis and valvegear.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Really lovely work on the A1/3. The Finney Kits are really first class but it can at times be difficult to identify all the small etched parts. You seem to have avoided such difficulties.

I note that Michael Edge is offering some tips which are always worthwhile. I found his advice so very useful during my builds. Given he is a professional loco builder how he finds time I don't know, thanks Michael.

I am focusing on my layout at the moment but I look forward to tackling my Judith Edge V4 2-6-2 kit in the near future. If the A1 Locomotive Trust can build V4 number three (Highlander) then I am sure I can manage a 4mm version.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3

On 13/12/2022 at 14:13, Michael Edge said:

Doesn't that curl them though? That's why I said I start the cut a little way in from the edge of the sheet.

It does, but they are easy to straighten. The main advantage is that they are absolutely parallel. I couldn't cut them so nicely with a scalpel and ruler.

Another trick I read recently: If you have a parallel boiler, wrap a piece of paper around the boiled. If both ends overlap, you can use the paper edge to fix the bands in perfect longitudinal orientation.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've made a start on the valve gear, i must admit i'm apprehensive as there are lots of very small parts and very few spares (non in most cases).

The radius link bracket was first up, some of the locating slots needed opening up with a scalpel blade to enable a good fit. The reversing crank laminations on the right won't be needed for a little while but they've been removed from the etch anyway.

20221229_130005.jpg.c40255a74ad272613fc051116350b5f2.jpg

Assembled together and with a 1mm dia rod running through each side.

In the instructions it just says solder a short length of rod into each hole so that the radius link will pivot on them. Soldering 2 tiny pieces of rod here would be tricky, so, i decided to just solder in a length between the 2 locations and using a disc cut a gap in them which can then be filed down once the radius link is made and i can be sure the protruding rods are long enough.

20221230_124148.jpg.091f950cf81f53d1991b0bfa20ebeea8.jpg

And with the pivots cut 

20221230_125206.jpg.8939d3faed7beb25a0b918c5ccf5697a.jpg

The next assembly is the 2 radius links, these are made up from 4 laminations, some 0.3mm wire to locate them and then act as bolts and the radius rod itself made up from 3 parts.

20221230_151522.jpg.98f51d9a8d28fdcd9741c35a0a7c4fce.jpg

To start the 2 inner laminations must be sweated together, i used the 0.3mm rods drilled holes through into a wooden block and placed the 2 laminations over them before sweating together. Sorry not a clear photo.

20221230_154808.jpg.0528792d5fa352a794e042a1d8a44b20.jpg

Once this is done the radius rod must be attached. This is completed by placing the rod under the 2 laminations on the block and fitting the outer radius rod lamination over the top of the link laminations and again sweated to the other side of the radius rod. Great care must be taken to not solder the rod to the link as they must move freely once assembled. With this done you know have to pin the radius rod to the 2 link laminations with some 0.7 dia rod, once again only allowing solder to penetrate the radius rod itself. Once this is done the radius rod should then be free to run along the slot in the link laminations. The outer radius link laminations can the be added to encapsulate the radius rod, the 0.3 rods can be cut off and filed down.

20221230_180421.jpg.8607361cd62421d91ef5c96ece15ba5c.jpg

With the radius rod free to move into any gear position, i'm not quite sure yet how you are supposed to retain them in one position, so more thought is required there.

20221231_093245.jpg.b5df6f7fadb531d5a0c505827b02c48f.jpg

Making all the fork joints for the rest of the valve gear next.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

You should be able to hold it with the weighshaft arm, exactly as full size.

Thanks Mike, yes of course.

I've asembled the cylinders, slide bar bracket which is now attached to the slide bars and the radius link bracket onto the frames. They are all tied together with the extended ejector pipe that i've continued into the cylinders so i probably don't need to provide any other ties to keep these as a lift out assembly.

20221231_170953.jpg.02fae69c39485fb32e9f278516d1b133.jpg

20221231_171036.jpg.ef4b07daf427cd59cf57c83fa191980c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 7 months later...

Many thanks for your update Dave . Poetry in motion isn't it , the Gresley conjugated valve gear . I fired on these engines occasionally when at Grantham in my youth , and with two years on loan to K.X. Top Shed . I have had a Finney A4 kit for years , but whether I will ever make it now ... I am two weeks short of 82 .  But you describing your build is very inspiring .

Roy .

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

11 hours ago, k22009 said:

Hopefully it all goes back together without to much problem once painted.

Absolutely wonderful work Dave. In some ways it seems a shame to paint it, all that construction detail with different materials, will be lost. You encourage me to build my Finney Adams Atlantic tank which has the internal valve gear kit included.

Kind regards,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Morning Dave, I've clicked on the 'applause' sign for that last set of photos but somehow that doesn't quite seem enough! The backhead detailing alone...

That's very kind Chas fotunately the back plate is a big stonker of a unit on the A1/3 so there's plenty of room to manoevre.

5 hours ago, 30368 said:

Absolutely wonderful work Dave. In some ways it seems a shame to paint it, all that construction detail with different materials, will be lost. You encourage me to build my Finney Adams Atlantic tank which has the internal valve gear kit included.

Kind regards,

The Martin Finney design has been of very highest quality, it's a real ronseal kit. My only gripe would be the lack of spares on the etches for some small parts and the time taken to keep the parts that need removing safely until you need to use them. An ancilliary etch of the small parts would be a nice addition so they could be left on one piece until needed and surely wouldn't add greatly to the overall cost of the kit now at £200 for the engine alone. A lot of the parts are half etched so are quite delicate and easily deformed if you're not careful.

If you take your time with the Adams i'm sure it will build into a very nice model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, k22009 said:

My only gripe would be the lack of spares on the etches for some small parts and the time taken to keep the parts that need removing safely until you need to use them. An ancilliary etch of the small parts would be a nice addition so they could be left on one piece until needed and surely wouldn't add greatly to the overall cost of the kit now at £200 for the engine alone. A lot of the parts are half etched so are quite delicate and easily deformed if you're not careful.

Dave, I have a collection of small plastic boxes, the kind of ones spare parts sometimes come in, or pills, railway figures - even those little pots of sauces with lids that come with takeaways - and I put related groups of small etched parts into one of those with a small piece of paper on which I write what they are, part nos. etc, as it's sometimes months between snipping and soldering. I sometimes also use very small re-sealable plastic bags, but they're easier to lose track of. Either way, the advantage of transparency is that you can see what's inside and read the piece of paper, without repeatedly opening the container, with the attendant risk of losing a tiny part.

Please excuse me if I'm teaching egg-sucking here! 🙂

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

Dave, I have a collection of small plastic boxes, the kind of ones spare parts sometimes come in, or pills, railway figures - even those little pots of sauces with lids that come with takeaways - and I put related groups of small etched parts into one of those with a small piece of paper on which I write what they are, part nos. etc, as it's sometimes months between snipping and soldering. I sometimes also use very small re-sealable plastic bags, but they're easier to lose track of. Either way, the advantage of transparency is that you can see what's inside and read the piece of paper, without repeatedly opening the container, with the attendant risk of losing a tiny part.

Please excuse me if I'm teaching egg-sucking here! 🙂

Thanks Chas

I do the same, i have a few plastic trays with dividers and a lid. With this kit though there were an awful lot of small parts dotted here there and everywhere, everytime you want one part you have to look through all of the trays to find the right one as most needed removing to release a larger part for the build, if they were all on one etch you know exactly where they are stored and you don't need to remove them until needed. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I *try* to keep a spreadsheet where fiddly bits are - if they are individually packaged e.g. Alan Gibson castings then they go in a box with the gist of what's in there. For regularly needed "consumables" e.g. top hat bearings etc they go in a divider box, I usually pour multiple packets into one bag to reduce packaging.

For kit leftovers at the moment I keep them in the original kit packaging with the instructions/part diagrams. I expect at some point that won't be manageable any more so will have to re-think. 

Completed rolling stock goes into "Trainsporter" boxes.

• Like 1