Rail-Ex Taunton 22nd & 23rd October 2022

Chris M

Just thought I should mention this exhibition. Its a good size exhibition with over 30 layouts and a nice mix of trade exhibitors including Peco. There are some great layouts including the well known "Hills of the North" and the less well known but very impressive "Moors View" in N gauge. I'll be there with my Dawlish Warren layout for what will almost certainly be its last outing ever.

http://www.railextaunton.uk/index.php

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

We will be there exhibiting our BSC Shepcote Lane tippler sidings layout , this will be the first time the layout has been shown outside of South Wales area in nearly ten years , so this is a rare opportunity to see it in action .FB_IMG_1616672345570.jpg.a36351b450b554a68412532bcb27c260.jpg

Great work. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

Glad to see a thread started for this show.

Shap ('Hills of the North') has duly been disturbed from its slumbers of the last two-and-a-half years. Currently at half way overnight stop (aka Mum's house in Stockport) so as to get there handy for show set up tomorrow.

Three new trains are set to feature in the running sequence - but keeping that as a show exclusive for now.

Looking forward to being part of the show. Hope to see a few locally-based RMWebbers there.

Meanwhile, here's a bit of video from last time we were out (Glasgow 2020)

Shap at Glasgow

Our bit starts at 7 mins in. Watching it again just now, there's been one or two other rolling stock improvements (eg more locos weathered)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2022 at 19:48, bazjones1711 said:

We will be there exhibiting our BSC Shepcote Lane tippler sidings layout , this will be the first time the layout has been shown outside of South Wales area in nearly ten years , so this is a rare opportunity to see it in action .FB_IMG_1616672345570.jpg.a36351b450b554a68412532bcb27c260.jpg

Brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed watching operations today.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Back home safely fro Rail-Ex Taunton. We had a wonderful weekend and I would like to say thanks to Steve and all the members of Somerset Railway Modellers Club for putting a great show and looking after us so well. I really enjoyed all the exhibits. 
The visitors favourite layout award went to Moors View; it’s only the second time they have beaten us in the last few months! It is a great piece of artwork though and well deserved. I did hear that Dawlish Warren wasn’t far behind in the vote . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2022 at 21:31, LNER4479 said:

Glad to see a thread started for this show.

Shap ('Hills of the North') has duly been disturbed from its slumbers of the last two-and-a-half years. Currently at half way overnight stop (aka Mum's house in Stockport) so as to get there handy for show set up tomorrow.

Three new trains are set to feature in the running sequence - but keeping that as a show exclusive for now.

Looking forward to being part of the show. Hope to see a few locally-based RMWebbers there.

Meanwhile, here's a bit of video from last time we were out (Glasgow 2020)

Shap at Glasgow

Our bit starts at 7 mins in. Watching it again just now, there's been one or two other rolling stock improvements (eg more locos weathered)

Great to have a chance to see the layout close up today and have a woffle. It was one of the main drivers for my visit today and did not disappoint! Thank you gentlemen for a great recreation of golden times.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2022 at 10:10, ardbealach said:

Whithorn ready for its forthcoming weekend at  Rail-Ex Taunton.  (Alisdair)

Feature_5.jpg

Feature_2 (2).jpg

Great photos Alisdair … and the layout certainly lives up to them, a great representation of traffic and topography in your chosen domain. Really enjoyed the woffle too. Did you allow the precocious young man to do the run round driving? Safe home! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have made a few layout specific comments above, but that’s not to exclude many other great displays. Was the first time I have visited this show but it won’t be the last. Many great layouts, no barriers, a good mix of traders, no scrum and catering other shows can only dream of. What a great show gentlemen thank you all for a great day out. Got the correct colour ballast from Atwood Aggregates, DCC stay alives, Peco banana van kits, rail chairs and lots of useful bits. 

Well worth the visit even if we didn’t have the Sunday roast….. SWMBO had done a Cottage pie for the evening meal with @Pierre Le Brun and her twin sister…. More than my life is worth to say I was already full up! 😀

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Tempfix

Back from an excellent weekend at the Taunton show. Thanks to Steve and all of the team. Only one recommendation - would be good to have a map or show guide in the exhibitors pack - I didn't even know there were more than two halls until lunch on the Saturday - and I was exhibiting!

Rich

RMOR94.jpg.f27e4d3c976b312017a5c21a444381f4.jpg

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Back from an excellent weekend at the Taunton show. Thanks to Steve and all of the team. Only one recommendation - would be good to have a map or show guide in the exhibitors pack - I didn't even know there were more than two halls until lunch on the Saturday - and I was exhibiting!

Rich

RMOR94.jpg.f27e4d3c976b312017a5c21a444381f4.jpg

Good to see you Sunday Rich …. Layout looking great!

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2022 at 10:10, ardbealach said:

Whithorn ready for its forthcoming weekend at  Rail-Ex Taunton.  (Alisdair)

Feature_5.jpg

Feature_2 (2).jpg

I enjoyed the show at Taunton. Whithorn was one of the highlights for me, I thought it was very atmospheric in a desolate  sort of way. I enjoyed the conversation about the history of the real line too.

cheers

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chris M said:

Back home safely fro Rail-Ex Taunton. We had a wonderful weekend and I would like to say thanks to Steve and all the members of Somerset Railway Modellers Club for putting a great show and looking after us so well. I really enjoyed all the exhibits. 
The visitors favourite layout award went to Moors View; it’s only the second time they have beaten us in the last few months! It is a great piece of artwork though and well deserved. I did hear that Dawlish Warren wasn’t far behind in the vote . 

I enjoyed the day very much, there were a lot of very good layouts on display. It was nice to have a chat about Dawlish Warren, it brought back happy memories of childhood visits to the seaside. I liked the backscene photo of the Exe. The South Coaster was carrying coal from Marsden to Exmouth when she ran aground on Pole Sands off Exmouth in December 1943, later being towed to her final resting place in the estuary.

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
spelling
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

I enjoyed the show at Taunton. Whithorn was one of the highlights for me, I thought it was very atmospheric in a desolate  sort of way. I enjoyed the conversation about the history of the real line too.

cheers

Thank you Rivercider for your kind comments.  And I didn't know I was chatting to an RMwebber! (Alisdair)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

Thank you Rivercider for your kind comments.  And I didn't know I was chatting to an RMwebber! (Alisdair)

I had not done any prior research of the layouts on display - had I read this thread before the day I would have introduced myself (is there an RMweb funny handshake?)

cheers

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend at the event with Fry's Somerdale. A superb event as ever with a line-up of layouts to match! As the layout operates pretty much by itself, I managed to get around to do some filming. A massive thank you to all involved in putting on this wonderful show!

22nd - 23rd October 2022 saw the return of RailEx Taunton hosted by the Somerset Railway Modellers Club at Taunton School, Taunton, Somerset.
The show featured no less than 33 visiting layouts and dioramas in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as a good selection of trade, demo and society stands. 
Layouts as featured;
BERE BANKS - OO
TORREYCOMBE - OO
CALSTOCK RIVERSIDE - ON16.5
BLEAT WHARF - OO
LONG MELFORD JUNCTION - OO
HILLS OF THE NORTH (SPIRIT OF SHAP) - OO
BISHOPS LYDEARD - OO
FRY'S SOMERDALE - OO
COG ROAD - O 
UPPERTON - N
BICKERTON - OO
HALSDON ROAD - O
BROADFORD - H0
OXFORD ROAD - OO
GREAT SWILLING - EM
NORMAN COLLIERY - O 
KOZEL CEMENT - H0 
EDWARDIAN STREET SCENE - 1/32 SCALE
LISWORTH BAY - N 
BRIDGEBURY GATE - N
BOWLEGGETT MANOR/FARR END - OO9
PARTIAL ECLIPSE - OO9
LAUNCESTON - OO9
MOORS VIEW - N 
DEWERSTONE - EM
CHEFFLEY - OO
KUGELHOF IM PINZGAU - H0e
MOOS - H0/H0e
BLOWERS GREEN WAGON REPAIR SHOP - O
WHITHORN - OO
BSC SHEEPCOTE LANE - OO
BEMBRIDGE - OO
DAWLISH WARREN - N
Hope you enjoy!

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

...do some filming...

Big thanks from me for shooting, editing and uploading the result on YT.

Despite forward planning, a variety of other things prevented my attendance this year.  Have been a staunch supported of Taunton Railex for many years, so disappointed to miss this one.  But your video nearly made up for it!  Some brilliant and unusual shots too.

Thanks again Callum.

Edited by Platform 1
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1