The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (and St Nicholas's Junction)

Gypsy

Who, what, why etc?

I’m a middle-aged dad who had a model railway as a kid and, like most of us, drifted away in favour of beer, girls and motorbikes (not necessarily in that order). Our childhood stuff is long gone but I found my Dad’s N Gauge stuff when he died and that sparked a renewed interest. Over the past few years, I’ve tried (and largely failed) to make a couple of small layouts and various bits and pieces for them. A combination of lack of space and life catching up – kids, work, C-PTSD and prostate cancer – mean they’ve all been abandoned.

The lack of space bit drew me to OO9 (N is just too bloody small for my ageing eyes but I still want a ‘railway in landscape’ not a small board with a BLT or shunting puzzle) but despite the choice of scale, the space issue has always conspired to destroy my mojo. I do this for escapism, for therapy, not for realism – I get quite enough of that in the 12”:1’ world – so in my mind’s eye its rather cleaner and nicer than most grotty OO9 layouts. That and a love for Art Deco/Streamline Moderne sets the ‘style’ and era that the line was supposedly built but I’ll probably drag things closer to my end of the 20th century – so definitely not factory fresh, just not manky.

All this, plus the fact that despite the failures I find the actual modelling therapeutic, eventually led me to thinking (I do a lot more of that than I do modelling) that I should make individual modules rather than try and fail to build a layout that I don’t have space for anyway (at least not until the kids leave home). Then maybe one day I’ll be able to link some of them together. In the meantime, I’m practicing, learning – and hopefully getting slightly better.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? No, it’s not in any way Sci-Fi. The idea has kind of evolved as a justification for having a narrow-gauge railway through nice scenery but built and maintained to a relatively high standard. My conceit is that, like Douglas Adams’ version, the location and the restaurant itself are so special it’s worth the money and effort to get there! Anyway, its my little world to escape to so that’s how it is. Sorry.

In the meantime, I have several locos, all 3D prints, and I’m playing with a couple of wagons. So, I need a test track – Project X. Given my general ineptitude with a soldering iron (and flextrack) I’ve plumped for Kato Unitrack but I have a cunning idea to disguise it that is slowly taking shape so that I can watch trains go round. Or run them in…

In the meantime, I’d like to thank @chuffinghell @MrWolf @NHY 581 (in particular) for various inspiration and distraction during several years of lurking and occasional false starts.

I also have a question. I have a 3D print of a Glyn Valley Tramway brake van (see pic) and I want to fit a working taillight – Project X has lights (that work!!!), so this would enhance them (I hope). The van has moulded lamp irons, but they’re on the side, not the back. Would the lamp just hang on the side (risking being knocked off) or do I need to fit more somewhere on the back?!

IMG_9582.jpg

Edited by Gypsy
Title
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gypsy, 

Thanks for the walk on part. Sadly, I can't offer any advice regarding the tail light issue but I shall look forward to seeing how things unfold. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gypsy,

I've had one or two people cite me as their inspiration, but previously only ever as part of their defence in court...

I was wondering if the GVT used a similar lamp setup to the GWR with side and tail lamps? It could be quite easy to create a very basic fibre optic arrangement for lamp lighting, @chuffinghellis the master of drilling ridiculously small holes into model railway lamps to make them light up.

Essentially a hidden bulb / LED and a clear plastic rod running into the lamp.

Probably OTT for your purposes, but the idea is the same, it's how Dinky toys put flashing indicators onto a BMW in the late 60s.

IMG_20220813_140440.jpg.6a8269fcccad1654f956cb49bd30864c.jpg

IMG_20220816_205416.jpg.709fe17278cf37ae276c991ad1434619.jpg

Pity that indicators on real BMW's don't work that we'll...

I'll be following the progress.

Remember, there's no daft questions, but if you've been following our threads, you'll realise that there's a whole lot of daft answers....

As well as some very useful advice, which has been a major contribution to getting my layout built.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Pity that indicators on real BMW's don't work that we'll...

Seems to be the more expensive the car the less the indicators work.  QC must be rubbish!

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Thanks everybody. Especially @MrWolf for the Dinky hint.

I had thought about fibre optics for something else on Project X but instead plumped for mico LEDs (which seem to be working as I'd hoped - watch this space). Then I remembered that I'd bought some DDC Concepts lamps at some point - see below.

I've bought a 3v battery holder off Ebay so will try this first.

I'm leaning towards a filet of styrene strip painted brass between the rear windows as the lamp iron then feed this through to a battery in the van area. Does that at least make sense?

Soldering a resistor onto such fine wire is going to be fun too. Has anyone here used an electrically conductive adhesive before?!

IMG_9584.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I'm aiming at for Project X. Today I have mostly been playing with the hot glue gun and DAS clay. I think I need to let the DAS dry for a few days before attacking it with a screwdriver and sandpaper to make sure there is enough clearance for the wheel flanges.

Not the most exciting track plan, but hopefully I can actually get it finished to both a working and scenic standard that I'm happy with. Once upon a time someone promised that it would all be over by Christmas – hopefully there is more chance for this little layout than that particular event!!!

IMG_9586.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

That gave me the urge to add some more slime - as I said at the begining, not factory fresh, but not too manky either.

On that note, I think I've gone a bit too far with the weathering powders (or rather too dark). The Restaurant isn't set anywhere specific but in my mind's eye its something like Provence, Ibiza or the Croatian Karst - definitely limestone. I'll tone it down when I get some lighter shades but the water tower is really just a modelling exercise anyway. I bought it for Project X but it made things look too cluttered so I'll probably just carry on using it for colour ideas/practice and then put it back in a box.

IMG_9588.jpg

• Like 5

Two steps forward, one step back.

The baseboard, if you can call it that, is coming along following the excavation of my rather over-enthusiastic application of DAS between the rails.

The battery holder has arrived but it’s just too big for the brake van (which now has decals).

That led me to another thought – a small length of concrete bridge does not a photo plank make.

So, grasshopper mind that I am, I’ve decided I need something to record my progress on because Project X doesn’t really fit the wider Restaurant at the End of the Universe theme. Plank is probably grander than it deserves, even in my wildest dreams, but the Lighthouse Underpass now joins the Works In Progress. There is no lighthouse, but I would quite like one at some point, so maybe one day this will be on the road to it…

Just for @MrWolf I include a bus, sort of. But it’s going under the bridge (or will/might be) not over it, so hopefully the Stuka crew can continue their restful afternoon…

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9591.jpg

Edited by Gypsy
  • Like 3

This morning I have been playing with colours - trying to get that sun-bleached concrete look.

Not very sucessfully.

I know I can mix something suitable, but I want to have an even enough base to cover the whole thing before shading highlights and weathering which will only darken it further

I'm veering towards the Aged White (extreme left) as a wash/glaze over the stone grey (far right) as the Halfords Grey primer is way too dark...

Anybody any thoughts...?

IMG_9595.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi G, 

I'm not 100% convinced that brush painting will successfully reproduce concrete. 

Here are a couple of views of the platform face I did for Mutton. 

20170906_080505.jpg.b571f1a971d930f202abfb1c21900398.jpg

I sprayed two or three different shades of grey from Humbrol Acrylic aerosols. If I can remember.....light grey and a slightly darker shade. Dark earth was also used. All were sprayed from quite a distance so it literally dusted the platform and produced a speckled finish. To this base, I then added weathering powders.........dark earth, white and smoke with a bit of sand sprinkled on. All were from Humbrol. 

Then sealed with varnish. 

20170810_061913.jpg.097ef56ace3cdd2d379569ae499ff601.jpg

The result is a nice, textured finish. 

I did the same for the concrete hard standing on Bleat Wharf...

20210328_194300-01.jpeg.307e30282c3e55dfe98e1624b031bda5.jpeg

20210731_182826.jpg.99e662baa2373b5c79a7bab9004d5c79.jpg

Hope this helps....

Rob

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

If a brush is all you have to hand though (I really must get some basic weathering powders) concrete can be achieved by stippling in talcum powder in varying amounts. This was humbrol enamel, 64, 29 and 34 over an off white primer coat. Once dry you can rub off any high spots.

IMG_20211126_115505.jpg.8fb54c219d78557c2f08f55124b0aa3d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If a brush is all you have to hand though (I really must get some basic weathering powders) concrete can be achieved by stippling in talcum powder in varying amounts. This was humbrol enamel, 64, 29 and 34 over an off white primer coat. Once dry you can rub off any high spots.

IMG_20211126_115505.jpg.8fb54c219d78557c2f08f55124b0aa3d.jpg

Also impressive and realistic and reminds me of most of the slabs I've laid around our place and the drainage channel is particularly lovely. I know that sounds rather silly, but I like to see well modelled building work and realism is never easy to create in model format, otherwise everyone could do it.

Edited by longchap
  • Thanks 1

It's the standard track insert that comes with the Ratio cattle dock kit, I painted up the drainage channel to represent salt glazed half rounds protected by granite kerbs.

The rest of the dock is rather non standard having had the ramp swapped to the near end and all of the base stonework replaced in brick to match the platform and Goods shed base.

IMG_20221030_111130.jpg.722b002d9967ff2d9c7da59939ba3504.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the reworked Bachmann Scenecraft concrete hut on Bleat. Finished as per above. 

20221030_112013-01.jpeg.1bbff460cc2dd56c4370f1ed1accb0e6.jpeg

(Looks like I need to get the hoover out as well ) 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's the standard track insert that comes with the Ratio cattle dock kit, I painted up the drainage channel to represent salt glazed half rounds protected by granite kerbs.

The rest of the dock is rather non standard having had the ramp swapped to the near end and all of the base stonework replaced in brick to match the platform and Goods shed base.

IMG_20221030_111130.jpg.722b002d9967ff2d9c7da59939ba3504.jpg

Ah, that explains it, as I've built / bashed the Ratio dock to fit my space, but haven't used the provided drain channel (so didn't recognise it), as I've a photo of one with brick infill to the track which I rather fancy.

42 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

This is the reworked Bachmann Scenecraft concrete hut on Bleat. Finished as per above. 

20221030_112013-01.jpeg.1bbff460cc2dd56c4370f1ed1accb0e6.jpeg

(Looks like I need to get the hoover out as well ) 

Rob

Now that is really quite something, you've really captured that wartime concrete look.

• Agree 1

In the absence of suitable paint for concrete I've re-visited my two wagons for a bit of (very) light chassis weathering. Basically, easing the black back with some mixed black and hull red. Rather more to follow on the PW wagon. Not so much on the brake van – which needs the roof drilling for the chimney when I feel brave enough…

Also done a bit more on the motive power for Project X.

IMG_9597.jpg

• Like 2