Christmas

modfather

• RMweb Gold

Good point by Mr Modfather. In terms of what is a central point, somewhere near Newton Abbot is probably closest! However, we had a most convivial gathering at a pub near Taunton a couple of years ago, right next to the main line in fact (the Allerford Inn), and I would suggest that we go there again? What do you folks think?

• RMweb Premium

Good point by Mr Modfather. In terms of what is a central point, somewhere near Newton Abbot is probably closest! However, we had a most convivial gathering at a pub near Taunton a couple of years ago, right next to the main line in fact (the Allerford Inn), and I would suggest that we go there again? What do you folks think?

I would certainly be up for a get together , and I'm sure my silent but registered friend 'cornishexcile' , I know , I told him it was spelt incorrectly , but there we go , rolleyes.gif would also come along , Taunton would be a good place for us too .

any where upon the great western mainline will suit, so long as we have time to form plans and discuss matters of state, whilst still being able to catch the last train home!

as for you Dennis, we are watching you, mark my words - when the invasion comes... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Coo, that's going back some :O The Allerford is what used to be the Victory Inn. :)

Not going back quite so far, relatively speaking, for some of us, you know, who have spent more years alive with the pub known as The Victory Inn, rather than it's belated name (although it's infinitely better in it's current incarnation, as regards decor, ambience, beer and food!).

The Cross Keys would also be good, although the attraction of 'lineside' might be quite considerable....

Any more thoughts, folks?

One thing to mention, last time it was a lunchtime do, which gives us more time to stagger home afterwards! ;)

• RMweb Gold

How do you see this working out logistically? Would the intention be for people to get there by rail or do we try and organise between people living close together sharing lifts and designating a duty driver?

I would be interested in meeting up with you all. Its about time I turned this solitary hobby into a more social pastime.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

How do you see this working out logistically? Would the intention be for people to get there by rail or do we try and organise between people living close together sharing lifts and designating a duty driver?

I would be interested in meeting up with you all. Its about time I turned this solitary hobby into a more social pastime.

Cheers.

Essentially, everyone gets themselves there in their own way, which really means driving. Car sharing can be organised by anyone, best to pm folk who live near you. I normally go up with Re6/6 and possibly anyone else from the locality who wishes to partake.

Not going back quite so far, relatively speaking, for some of us, you know, who have spent more years alive with the pub known as The Victory Inn, rather than it's belated name

Approx 3 years Captain :icon_what: it was first called the Grand Western Inn, as it backed onto the Grand Western Canal.

Not going back quite so far, relatively speaking, for some of us, you know, who have spent more years alive with the pub known as The Victory Inn, rather than it's belated name (although it's infinitely better in it's current incarnation, as regards decor, ambience, beer and food!).

Ah yes, it was the 'Grand Western' name that made me think that it was going back some, not the Victory (which is what it was called when I first moved to the area in 1985!). Industrial is right - it changed to the Allerford about 3 years ago - June 2006 IIRC.

I agree, lineside does have an attraction. :)

If there are any members interested I might be able to get the GWS Taunton group pump trolley for a donation, and use it on the Norton site along the new track there. (there might be a chance to pump all the way to Bishops Lydeard Station and back as well)

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately 12th and 19th are both no go areas for me. I'm wondering if folk might actually like to do something in the quiet time between Christmas and New Year. The stress of planning for Christmas is over and many people actually like the idea of having something to do in that period.

good plan kernow! do people want to stick to weekends or can we hit weekdays, i m off for that period, so cn work around people - taz, kernow, you are most vocal, when suits you chaps?

industrial... maybe we cn take you up on this sometime in the new year, prhaps if rmweb needed a beetledrive to keep the forum alive or similar, an inter regional challenge? ;)

industrial... maybe we cn take you up on this sometime in the new year, prhaps if rmweb needed a beetledrive to keep the forum alive or similar, an inter regional challenge? ;)

As only the custodian of it I will need to talk to the ones in charge but for insurance there can be no racing with it.

• RMweb Premium

. I'm wondering if folk might actually like to do something in the quiet time between Christmas and New Year. The stress of planning for Christmas is over and many people actually like the idea of having something to do in that period.

That sounds good to me , I'm booked off that week so any day would be ok . I will go with the flow . biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

good plan kernow! do people want to stick to weekends or can we hit weekdays, i m off for that period, so cn work around people - taz, kernow, you are most vocal, when suits you chaps?

I'm off between Christmas and New Year so any day would suite me.

Only thing I would ask is that we nail down a date sooner rather than later so I can keep it free in the diary - otherwise the wife is likely to end up finding something else for me to dowink.gif

Archived