Deliveries of Part Finished Loco's

Hi

I'm currently building a steam/early diesel era layout based in Kent somewhere around Ashford. I've been reading about the locos built at Ashford and keep seeing references to locos being part built in one place and finished in another. 

I'm thinking this might make an interesting thing to model, has anyone any info on how these part built loco's were moved about and even better, any photos?

Regards

• Like 1

Happened with carriages in Southern Railway days with underframes built in one works and bodies added elsewhere (e.g. Lancing and Ashford). Only Ashford related case of locos I can think of is a batch of L class 4-4-0s built by Borsig in Berlin just before WW1. Parts shipped from Hamburg to Dover and then by rail to Ashford -boilers on boiler wagons borrowed from the London & North Western Railway, frames on bogie bolster wagons (I think) and other parts in crates. Some German fitters only just got home before war was declared.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

To give this a proper pre-grouping spin, how about:

10248.jpg

[DY 10248, embedded link to Derby Registers.]

A Midland Railway Northern Counties committee 4-4-0 after rebuilding at Derby, July 1914. Normally, locomotives being delivered from the works to the customer would be hauled "dead" in a goods train but in this case that was not possible as the engine is of course to 5' 3" gauge.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Be a bit of a b*gger if when re-assembling it in NI they find that Derby has sent a set of 4' 8½" gauge wheels by mistake.😃

How would it get to the NCC?

Ship from Liverpool to Belfast?

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

How would it get to the NCC?

Ship from Liverpool to Belfast?

Don't know; I would have thought the Midland would have preferred to send it from their own port of Heysham.

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Be a bit of a b*gger if when re-assembling it in NI they find that Derby has sent a set of 4' 8½" gauge wheels by mistake.😃

Is there enough clearance inside the splashers to fit P4 wheelsets in place of 00?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that the MR assembled at Derby (largely the open air) quite a number of 2-6-0s shipped over from the US around the time of WW1.

1134.jpg

[DY 1134, embedded link to Derby Registers.]

In fact 1899; 30 Baldwin moguls.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Ah yes; a bit earlier than I thought. Thanks.

A consequence of the locomotive famine in the late 90s - railway traffic was booming but delivery of new locomotives from British builders was delayed by a major strike in the engineering industry. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Loading a steam locomotive onto a ship, Newhaven, East Sussex, late 1800s.

the-british-locomotive-building-industry

UNITED KINGDOM - JANUARY 30: The British locomotive building industry expanded rapidly in the latter half of the 19th century and cultivated a thriving export market. Locomotive No 690, built in 1883 by Neilson & Co of Glasgow for the Chemin de Fer de l'Ouest, is seen here being loaded on board ship en route to France. (Photo by SSPL/Getty Images. Embedding permitted.)

Any excuse :) As per, open in new tab for full effect.

• Like 5

On 29/10/2022 at 22:06, Compound2632 said:

Don't know; I would have thought the Midland would have preferred to send it from their own port of Heysham.

Plenty of huge locos travelled to Liverpool where they were put on ships by the huge cranes, one was Mammoth and ISTR the other was Goliath (or Samson?).

Mostly from Vulcan, Sharp Stewart and Beyer Peacock. That small loco would have been a doddle and could easily have travelled via the CLC.

Here's Scotsman being lifted like a toy.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 3

The Finnieston crane in Glasgow was built for loading the products of the North British Locomotive Company onto ships for export.  image.png.bc7c0760b394617e16499b7eba2226d0.png

It is still a prominent feature of the Glasgow waterside.   The dock in which the ship in the background is berthed is now the site of the SECC where Model Rail Scotland is held each February.

image.png.5b0fc5a443ee8dd9bdd01b0f6db48946.png

During the Glasgow Garden Festival George Wyllie's sculpture 'The Straw Locomotive' was suspended from the crane.

image.png.dfa017ff4a87b89bc5b9ab6110af5762.png

Jim

• Like 6