1950s Bournemouth - Newcastle workings via the GC

Helmdon

I know there was a SR set in use alongside the BR(E) ex-LNER set. Were they Bulleids? 

Also, I know that WR locomotives typically changed over at Banbury, but then another tranche changed over at Leicester, so where did the Bournemouth workings change over, and what would have been hauling them between Banbury and Leicester (and vice versa) please? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

The authority for this is Banks & Carter LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-1967 . They state Bulleid stock worked the train ..apart from catering vehicles…until 1956,when BR MK 1 coaches were introduced in crimson & cream.Thus for the early 50’s you would be ok to use them. Prior to that the train was reintroduced in 1949 ,the SR stock being until about 1950/1 Maunsell.The catering vehicle was a Maunsell conversion. No indication is given as to whether the Bulleids were in C&C or green and my guess is they could have been either or indeed a mixture. Strengtheners were probably Maunsell.,again in either livery. 
  Locomotive changes varied. Banbury,Woodford Halse,Leicester GC and not unknown for a WR loco to work through to York . In the opposite direction,there was a working by a Leicester GC B1 through to Swindon.on the Swansea - York train. So you can have fun & be flexible.

From Oxford,an SR loco worked the train and could be a Nelson,an Arthur,an MN or a WC/BB.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

To get to Oxford, would a Bournemouth - Newcastle working have gone via the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway?

If so, the WTT for (e.g.) 1949 suggests it may have been a SR working as far as Winchester, where it became a GWR train to Oxford.

Your second sentence is why I'm asking really - I've got a GC layout set on a fictional station at the top of Culworth Junction (i.e. it's before Woodford Halse but after the Banbury line joins the GCLE).

Consequently I think this is an opportunity to run ex-Southern coaches behind my 10xx/69xx/68xx...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The authority for this is Banks & Carter LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-1967 . They state Bulleid stock worked the train ..apart from catering vehicles…until 1956,when BR MK 1 coaches were introduced in crimson & cream.Thus for the early 50’s you would be ok to use them. Prior to that the train was reintroduced in 1949 ,the SR stock being until about 1950/1 Maunsell.The catering vehicle was a Maunsell conversion. No indication is given as to whether the Bulleids were in C&C or green and my guess is they could have been either or indeed a mixture. Strengtheners were probably Maunsell.,again in either livery. 
  Locomotive changes varied. Banbury,Woodford Halse,Leicester GC and not unknown for a WR loco to work through to York . In the opposite direction,there was a working by a Leicester GC B1 through to Swindon.on the Swansea - York train. So you can have fun & be flexible.

From Oxford,an SR loco worked the train and could be a Nelson,an Arthur,an MN or a WC/BB.

Brilliant - been offered a rake of crimson and cream Bulleids and didn't immediately dismiss them as I was sure at the back of my mind they would probably be ok! Thanks for that.

Not sure about BR days, but in grouping years the stock was SR out Mon/Wed/Fri back Tue/Thur/Sat, LNER stock in reverse directions, similarly with  Bournemouth/Birkenhead  alternating with GWR stock.

Normal routing was for the SR loco to do Basingstoke, Reading west, Didcot, Oxford

Edited by Dorsetmike
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

That, sir, is wonderful. Very many thanks.

Indeed so. Below Robert's signature there is a link to his Coaching Stock Group. If you have an interest in passenger rolling stock from 1948 onwards, I recommend membership, which is free. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1