Fishplate dimensions

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

There are many different drawings of fishplates for different companies here:

https://www.oldpway.info/opw_drawings.html

There is a decent chance that you will find one correct for the actual company you are interested in.

Edit to add that the 1905 GWR type is 1ft 8ins long, as I spotted the GWR interest!

https://www.oldpway.info/drawings/1905jt_d18_GWR.pdf

It really is a superb resource for modelling track properly.

Edited by t-b-g
add content
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1' 6" is the size I've used for GWR trackwork (to suit date of 1927).  With a sleeper centre to centre at railjoints of 2' 1" and chairs of width 7 1/2" (at base), 1' 6" just fits into the chair to chair gap.  if I remember it right, t-b-g's reference above is where the dimension came from.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, kitpw said:

1' 6" is the size I've used for GWR trackwork (to suit date of 1927).  With a sleeper centre to centre at railjoints of 2' 1" and chairs of width 7 1/2" (at base), 1' 6" just fits into the chair to chair gap.  if I remember it right, t-b-g's reference above is where the dimension came from.

You had me looking again with that post as I saw 1ft 8ins on the drawing.

Looking at the plan view, we are both correct. It looks as if the fishplate outside the rail is 1ft 6ins but the one on the inside is 1ft 8ins.

I had never spotted that before.

Edited by t-b-g
correction
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

You had me looking again with that post as I saw 1ft 8ins on the drawing

...and me... and checking back, I see I had never spotted the 1' 8" dimension!  I also had a look through GWR Switch & Crossing Practice (David J Smith) which gives the same dimensions for 4 hole plates - 18" on the outside and 20" on the inside with the wider plate bearing on the jaws of the chairs either side (so better accuracy required for sleeper spacing at rail joints than I usually manage!).  Smith also adds that the GWR introduced 2 hole plates in 1935 for use with 95R BS rail: these were 9" long (GWR also tried 10" plates at some point around 1935) but continued with 18"/20" for crossing work and sharper curves. 

Edited by kitpw
  • Like 1