December 2022 BRM + WOR TV

Howard Smith

• Moderators

KAPAAOOUUUWWWW! – The December 2022 issue of BRM has landed (for digital subscribers), and with it comes an entertaining episode of World of Railways TV.

Print copies are available to purchase from November 4 in stores, but if you're struggling to find a copy, simply visit our website here. Of course, there's always the option to subscribe, saving money across our 13 issues a year... ;)

header December 2022 BRM.jpg

Enjoy the fantastic December issue with its bonus content for digital edition readers…

Digital extras this month! 

• 62 exclusive images 
  • Nine extra videos 
  • Two bonus articles 
  • A free issue of Garden Rail
  • Watch this month’s edition of World of Railways TV

digital video.jpg

In this episode of World of Railways TV, we watch the trains go by at the East Derbyshire Mineral Railway, Phil Parker offers advice for weathering wagon interiors, plus Howard Smith visits the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway to speak with its Chairman and volunteers, and discover its latest projects.

Inside all copies of BRM December 2022…

LAYOUTS

'East Derbyshire Mineral Railway' in EM

East Derbyshire Mineral Railway 24.jpg

'Burnroyd Works' in OO

Burnroyd_Works_BRM_Dec_2022_6.jpg

'Midholme' in N

BRM Dec 22 Midholme12.jpg

'Penmaenbach' in OO

BRM Dec 2022 Penmaenbach 8.jpg

PRACTICAL ADVICE

Model this incredible river scene – we show how!

BRM DECEMBER 2022 RIVER ARTICLE CONCLUSION 1.jpg

Construct this railway inn kit...

BRM DECEMBER 2022 PETITE PROPERTIES LEAD 2.jpg

Modelling benches – great examples in our guide, inside...

BRM DECEMBER 2022 Benches_4.jpg

How to enhance a Metcalfe kit – take your build to the next level...

BRM DECEMBER 2022 METCALFE BUILD Workshop9.jpg

Upgrade older rolling stock on a budget: top tips...

BRM DECEMBER 2022 UPGRADING OLD MODELS STEP 5.jpg

Animate a village with the Magnorail system...

BRM DECEMBER 2022 BUILD A MAGNORAIL IMAGE 17.jpeg

PLUS

Reviews of the new Hornby 9F (OO)...

Hornby 9F 05.jpg

Hatton's Genesis coaches (OO)...

Green.jpg

Accurascale's PFA nuclear waste flats (OO) ...

Accurascale LLNW Combination.jpg

Accurascale's Chaldron wagons (OO) ...

Accurascale Chaldrons 1.jpg

...plus Kernow Model Rail Centre's LSWR vans for 'O'...

Kernow LSWR van 5.jpg

And, a round-up of the latest headlines from the model railway world this month. All this and more in the December 2022 issue of BRM and episode of World of Railways TV. Print copies are available to purchase from November 4 in stores, but if you're struggling to find a copy, simply visit our website here.

We hope you enjoy the content,

H

• Like 4

• Howard Smith changed the title to December 2022 BRM + WOR TV
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Smoking gun said:

I flicked through this issue looking for the Puzzle Master Inglenook article but couldn't find it in the photos or index so I left it on the shelf.

Martin

Page 86 - Penmaenbach.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2022 at 08:33, Phil Parker said:

Page 86 - Penmaenbach.

Have to ask is that the in print publishing version of click bait? Because I was sort of expecting a Paul Lunn type article on building shunting puzzles.  I only made the collection to Penmaenbach when I flicked the page and saw the plan.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Have to ask is that the in print publishing version of click bait? Because I was sort of expecting a Paul Lunn type article on building shunting puzzles.  I only made the collection to Penmaenbach when I flicked the page and saw the plan.

By definition, the headline has to draw attention, but I don't feel like this one was misleading; particularly as from all the recent BRM issues I've seen, the headline always relates to the lead image of the layout behind it. If it was elsewhere (such as at the top or bottom of the cover), and didn't have an associated image, I would see why you might feel that way.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Writing headlines to draw readers in has been taking place since the dawn of newspapers, and every publication does it. On a news stand, you have very little time to grab the potential customers attention, and like every magazine, we need to sell copies to as wide a market as possible. Putting the layout name up there isn't much good as so few people will actually recognise it (this is the case for pretty much all layouts) so you try to distill something of the article in the headline.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Writing headlines to draw readers in has been taking place since the dawn of newspapers, and every publication does it. On a news stand, you have very little time to grab the potential customers attention, and like every magazine, we need to sell copies to as wide a market as possible. Putting the layout name up there isn't much good as so few people will actually recognise it (this is the case for pretty much all layouts) so you try to distill something of the article in the headline.

What was controversial about it???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/11/2022 at 20:58, Pmorgancym said:

What was controversial about it???

You should have seen the correspondence in Railway Modeller after my article about PMB there....shunting puzzles are not to everyone's taste....I'll leave it there...

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1