Class 42 Warship Sound

An easy one I hope! I have a Heljan Class 42 O Gauge Warship with sound fitted. I think the sound could be better. It has a Zimo sound decoder. Can anyone suggest where I could have it reblown with a better sound file. I am not sure of the origin of the current sound file. I live in Kent so somewhere I could take it to (2 hours drive would be good) but I realise this may not be possible. It is a big heavy beast to send through the post or similar. I realise that sound is quite subjective too. Thanks.

14 hours ago, RomneySands said:

An easy one I hope! I have a Heljan Class 42 O Gauge Warship with sound fitted. I think the sound could be better. It has a Zimo sound decoder. Can anyone suggest where I could have it reblown with a better sound file. I am not sure of the origin of the current sound file. I live in Kent so somewhere I could take it to (2 hours drive would be good) but I realise this may not be possible. It is a big heavy beast to send through the post or similar. I realise that sound is quite subjective too. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Probably more than 2 hours drive from Kent but the only place I can even think of that you could take a Zimo equipped loco for a reblow to would be Digitrains in Lincoln.

Give Digitrains a call, I sent a chip back to them for a reblow in the post, it was back in a couple of days

I very much doubt you  can get  a good sound from a class 42.  As far as I remember the class 42 had a 4 speed gearbox ( one for each bogie) and the 43 / 52 three torque converters.

My memories of the mid 1960s are of Warships accelerating heavy trains 10 coach maybe, out of Dawlish Station and changing gear just about half way along the viaduct to the west, maybe three coach lengths off the platform so the revs dropped dramatically.  There are I believe 2 preserved but who is going to take them to max revs in 1st )Notch 8?) when that is already preserved railway line speed.  That was /is the big thing with hydraulics, the revs rise with road speed, 42 etc were not in their "Power Band" at the typical 70 mph 1960s train speed, having been optimised for 90 and runup to 104 at least.  Its not like a 47 where engine speed and road speed are entirely different.   As a keen amature musician I find currentyly available Sound has barely scratched the surface and untll sound is separated from traction current, and chuff generators are standard on steam locos realistic sound will be an elusive goal.

The most realistic sound I have heard on the West Riding Model Railway Videos and his is DC so he must have dubbed it, but its spot on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks for the replies. Some ideas there and interesting information. I may have a chat with both Digitrains and Coastal DCC at Warley, if  I can get a fast train from Euston. I can get to London in just over 30 mins from Ashford but I cannot buy a ticket on an Avanti fast train on the TrainLine or any other App. I can get a ticket on a slower North Western Trains (?) departure but they take two hours or more instead of the one hour on an Avanti Pendolino! I would get to Warley in time to come back home again!! Thanks to all.

Thanks for the extra information, didn't expect to get Warley travel information as well!! Like most people I have not been since the last one in 2019. That is where I saw an O Gauge layout called Hyde Lane and decided it would fit in the space I had. I had been toying with the idea of moving from OO to O for a year or two but that was the inspiration I needed. Sadly I started taking my OO modern image diesel depot layout apart, selling locos, dismantling much used baseboards ready to start from new just as Covid kicked in. It then took ages to find all the bits and pieces I needed to build my O gauge layout. I couldn't get any Marine Ply for ages, or Peco rail joiners etc, etc, etc. The same problems everyone had during that period. The track plan is basically Hyde Lane but the scenic sections are different to what I planned as I had to improvise and use what was available rather what I had planned. I think it is much better as a result. I developed a lot of patience and many new skills. Really glad I did it now though! 
Many thanks to you all for the help and advice. Very much appreciatedIMG_7493.jpeg.c6d3d29f95ed00b020e9796c5498a0d2.jpeg.

• Like 2