Wickham trolley query

billtee

On the rear panel of the Wickham trolley, just above the little coupling and the fuel filler, is a quite large, horizontal device which appears to be made of many smaller horizontal tubes.

Can someone enlighten me as to what this is, please?

Bill

Dear AY Mod,

I'm sorry if I put my query in the wrong section! I thought it was in the right section as I am a BRM subscriber, and most of the followers of the RMweb forums are very knowledgeable folk. 
I have commented on the Wickham trolley (which I have had on order for over 12 months!) on the Ellis Clark traders site within RMweb, but no-one has replied. I don't know what section you have moved my query to, either.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. Perhaps someone can answer my question as I have only EVER seen a Wickham in videos on YouTube - I have never ever seen one in real life, hence my questions!

All the best,

Bill

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It might depend a lot on what version of the Wickham Trolley we're talking about - and there were a lot of versions!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickham_trolley

e.g. - "just above the little coupling ... a large horizontal device"

Wickham Trolley

If the original query is referring to the white painted pole in the photo above, then they are handles, to aid manhandling* it on and off the track.

Jon

* I was going to write 'lifting' but I suspect thats rather beyond the capability of most people, even burly gangers who are used to juggling sleepers.

• RMweb Gold

My vague recollection is that the Ganger was responsible for a length of line, so actually he was not numerous in any one location, but had other men working for him, including a patrolman or two, who in olden days walked the length knocking in keys etc. 

And suggesting that ganger and gangster are in any way similes is insulting to those who keep/kept the track in fettle in all weathers. 

Thank you, everyone! I guessed the long horizontal bar just above the coupling (towing hook?) was for lifting the trolley up slightly to clear the rails upon which it is sitting, but it is not that part I am questioning!

My model Wickham trolley will be, when I get it, the one which Ellis Clark Trains is producing. The company does not give any further information about the prototype they are modelling!

The 'lump' I am asking about is shown in (a very dark image) a photograph of the rear of the trolley, not the front where the radiator is!

I thought it might be a single, centralised buffer to protect the trolley from larger locomotives or rolling stock, but I don't know, hence my query!

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Bill

4 hours ago, billtee said:

The 'lump' I am asking about is shown in (a very dark image) a photograph of the rear of the trolley, not the front where the radiator is!

Perhaps if you shared a link to the image you are referring to we wouldn't all have to guess?

Jon

Here is the drawing kindly sent from Ellis Clark Trains. The 'lump' I am wondering anout is on the right hand end, directly under the headlight and above the coupling. The only photo I have shows it too dark to see!

Bill

32383C15-B1F8-4BA3-86A6-297BDFCB4E22.jpeg.9db614b6cc68147cc06488bd088bb29c.jpeg

If indeed this IS the turntable in travelling position, where are the 'ramps' which the trolley can use to lift itself high enough for the turntable to be fitted underneath? Having only ever seen a Wickham trolley in photographs and one (at the Severn Valley Railway) about 150yards away when I was not specifically interested in it, I just wondered what the, err, 'lump' was. I am, hopefully, getting a delightful little model from Ellis Clark Trains when they are released in the New Year. On the company's catalogue of forthcoming models, only one picture is shown of the rear of the trolley (which just happens to be the SR model I have ordered!), but the 'lump' is not clear! All the other liveried models are only shown at the front, radiator, end!

Bill

55 minutes ago, billtee said:

If indeed this IS the turntable in travelling position, where are the 'ramps' which the trolley can use to lift itself high enough for the turntable to be fitted underneath? ...

The turntable is dropped into the four-foot and the trolley driven or pushed over it - it's then lifted using the turntable ( more like a jack with a swivel head ) with the wheels flapping about in mid air.