GWR fleet circa 1910-1915 - Most common wagon types?

Guest WM183

I have been working on Exeter and Torquay coal merchants – haven't got round to Plymouth yet – but at a first glance the Plymouth Coal Co's wagons seem to be very elusive. Nothing in the GWR registers that I have seen other than a Merthyr colliery of the same name. They bought some s/h wagons from the Midland Wagon Co in the 1870s and ... er, that's it. Do you have any information other than the POwsides transfers?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, wagonman said:

Do you have any information other than the POwsides transfers?

I note the POWSides listing: "Maker unknown 7-plank, side door. Slaters 7058/4058" which implies the existence of a photograph, and their choice of Slaters Gloucester 7-plank wagon, rather than the Chas. Roberts ones shown in his photo - but I suppose he has chosen those for a reason, presumably as better representing the prototype. The Lightmoor Index has a reference to Bill Hudson's Oakwood book. (Which I do not have,)

Edited by Compound2632

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Lightmoor Index has a reference to Bill Hudson's Oakwood book. (Which I do not have,)

I do have a copy of Bill Hudson's book and here is the entry – apologies for the quality of the image! According to the London Gazette the Plymouth Coal Co Ltd (no.935872) was one of a slew of companies officially put into liquidation on 31 January 1996, all under Ernst & Young's Sheffield office. The implication is it was a mopping up operation for moribund companies. At some point I'll have to plough through TNA's BT31 index again; meanwhile there is the local press to keep me busy. I suspect the wagons will be untraceable though...

IMG_1325.jpeg.4e49e6f765c6cfefc2db945d440d59e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Sorry for being so off-piste, but I have done a bit of digging: the business started as The Plymouth Steamship and Coal Co in about 1904, having taken over an existing business Hill & Co. in c1915 it was registered and the name changed to The Plymouth Coal Co Ltd, this being the entity finally wound up in 1996.They had regular adverts in the local press mostly advertising their "best Newcastle Wallsend coal" regularly discharged from their own steamers. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to find out who owned the company, nor the names of any of their steamers, though I think it's safe to say their wagons were mostly used for local distribution and were not very numerous.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wagonman said:

Sorry for being so off-piste, but I have done a bit of digging: the business started as The Plymouth Steamship and Coal Co in about 1904, 

Which doesn't tally with your 1870s reference to wagons hired from the Midland Wagon Co,?

Edited by Compound2632
typo.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Which doesn't tally with your 1870s reference to wagons fired from the Midland Wagon Co,?

"Fired"....

there has to be a funny reposte to this comment, maybe I shall leave Stephen to find it!

Edited by Western Star