Bexhill West 1936 - GWR coaches?

Artless Bodger

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

This is covered in another thread, where I gave information from references, but my (increasingly wonky) memory is telling me that by the late 30s both the GWR and the SR sets for these trains were modern coaches, late build Maunsell stock from the SR and contemporary GWR stock.

Yes, that would seem probable as presumably these were prestigious services. Older stock thus more likely to be used for excursions.

18 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

The leftmost looks very much like the Hornby long clerestory brake, apart from the position of the guard's door and ducket, though I understand the Hornby coach is not correct with the duckets in line not offset. Thus toilet window, 3 compartments, ducket, guard's door, then 3 pairs of luggage / van space doors. ...

I don't know what the Hornby model was meant to represent - did they ? - but a look through 'Russell' found a good match for the Bexhill coach to a D29 56' Brake Third of 1899 ....... certainly not contemporary to late-build Maunsells - so remains a mystery what they're doing there !

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't know what the Hornby model was meant to represent - did they ? - but a look through 'Russell' found a good match for the Bexhill coach to a D29 56' Brake Third of 1899

Tha later Hornby corridor clerestories were based on actual identifiable coaches (D25 Brake Third and C15 2nd/3rd composite) unlike the earlier Tri-ang ones, though they lacked actual panelling on the sides, relying on printed effects.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

Looking for something completely different - which I didn't find - I came across a plate in the August 1935 Railway Magazine showing a Birmingham-Bournemouth through train : the leading coach is a GWR three-compartment clerestory Van Third very much like the one in 'our' photo ( There's at least one more clerestory further back in the train, too.).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2