Automatic return acceptance

ianmacc

Hi

For some reason eBay has started letting buyers return items automatically without any prior discussion. Frustrating as the latest one is someone who didn’t know what they were buying (got wrong gauge for husband) and basically is returning it without my approval leaving me 8 pounds down for postage and return postage on an item worth £19. 

I want to turn it off but it’s already showing as off so unsure what I can do to stop this. 

Annoying when I can and am being basically mugged for 8 pounds a time for any reason the buyer decides to make up. 

part rant part request for assistance :)

For clarity I will and do accept genuine returns and in most cases work something out but I am fed up with eBay stripping sellers of their ability to manage selling. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I believe that distance selling regulations applied to eBay no matter what sellers or eBay claimed!

They don't apply to second hand goods from private sellers, no matter what anyone says.

Convincing eBay of that, however, ...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Crosland said:

They don't apply to second hand goods from private sellers, no matter what anyone says.

Convincing eBay of that, however, ...

This document from Citizens Advice Bureau sets it all out quite well.  I always list my items as "no returns accepted", but of course will still be liable if what I sell is not as described.

Selling on online marketplaces.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, RFS said:

This document from Citizens Advice Bureau sets it all out quite well.  I always list my items as "no returns accepted", but of course will still be liable if what I sell is not as described.

Selling on online marketplaces.pdf 645.61 kB · 0 downloads

I don’t accept returns either unless faulty etc. however buyers just put “not as described” even when it is and my neutered abilities as a seller means I can do s0d all about it!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

At least your buyer tried to return the item.

I listed a packaged kit which was marked on the packaging as being O gauge. The buyer just left me neutral feedback stating that it wasn't O gauge.

If he had contacted me, I'd have been happy to give a refund rather than the bad feedback.

23 hours ago, Tofufi said:

At least your buyer tried to return the item.

I listed a packaged kit which was marked on the packaging as being O gauge. The buyer just left me neutral feedback stating that it wasn't O gauge.

If he had contacted me, I'd have been happy to give a refund rather than the bad feedback.

I agree. Where I’ve been contacted I have a near perfect resolution record.  Snide feedback is frustrating. Had one literally yesterday which was particularly disappointing as it was a regular buyer. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 14:44, ianmacc said:

I don’t accept returns either unless faulty etc. however buyers just put “not as described” even when it is and my neutered abilities as a seller means I can do s0d all about it!

Just as an experiment I contested the return and amazingly eBay agreed, cancelled it and removed the negative feedback! You had to prize my jaw off the floor…

• Like 3