“Wartime Black” GWR Pannier in Cornwall?

Hi All,

Appreciate this might be chasing rainbows due to the scarcity of photographs in the immediate post-war period, but ….. does anybody have any hard evidence of a GWR Pannier in Wartime Black in mid Cornwall please? Or other loco types for that matter. 

The closest I can yet identify is a couple of 46xx which were built in Wartime so *should* have been painted that way, which were allocated to Laira, so *might* have found their way over the Tamar on loan to the smaller sheds on occasion.

Thanks in anticipation!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Halls and Prairies said:

The closest I can yet identify is a couple of 46xx which were built in Wartime so *should* have been painted that way, which were allocated to Laira, so *might* have found their way over the Tamar on loan to the smaller sheds on occasion.

That is the premise in me choosing 4679 myself.

• RMweb Gold

GWRJ issue 7 helps with a lot of the bigger engines, not so much with the smaller stuff (and certainly not for Cornwall).  I haven't got a copy but maybe the Pannier Papers books have works visit dates which could help?

So far Ive managed to identify  4547 and 1470 as being in black on Newton Abbot shed working from photos, I cant remember if my model of 4292 was based on a photo or was just an appropriate number picked at random.   I've also done 4925, 4025, 6829 and a 28xx in black all based off photos all of which would have made it to Cornwall.  4025 is a particular favourite being without names with "Star Class" painted on the splasher.

My approach was to find lists of stock shedded at Newton Abbot and then try and hunt down photos from 1942-1950 to try and guess the livery,