TRACTION 273

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

Clipboard01.jpg.f4b4476db176f27c759ece4added4519.jpg

In TRACTION 273 we start with an article by Jonathan King about the evenings he spent watching trains on Rattery Bank in Devon with a surprising amount of freight action.

David Hayes concludes his two part article about milk traffic to London, whilst a related photo feature by David Ratcliffe turns the spotlight on the milk tankers used on these services. The table below was too large to include in the magazine but can be downloaded and printed out by clicking on this link.

Table for website Part 2.pdf

Adrian Willats recalls his travels using a North Western Rail Rover in 1993 and reminds us just how much has changed in this part of the country with the withdrawal of the ‘Pacers’, the introduction of new rolling stock and widespread electrification.

In our European spot Colin Boocock brings us up to date on the variety of locomotives and rolling stock to be seen on the railways of Luxembourg, a system that is easily accessible from London with just one change in Brussels.

In the last issue Ian Buck looked at the last days of ‘Heritage’ DMUs in Glasgow. He now turns his attention to the Manchester area where several of those Scottish Metro-Cammells ended their days.

The Portsmouth area once had quite a bit of freight activity which Peter Nurse describes in his article about ‘Freight Friendly Fratton’.

Finally, Gavin Morrison has looked through his archive of photos of the Class 60s and we see some of the class that have now found a new owner in the form of DC Rail. Sadly, whilst some of these have returned to service, others languish in store.

This issue’s featured layout in TRACTION MODELLING is Upham Market. Mark Thatcher drew inspiration from his recollections of East London commuter traf c in the 1970s and 1980s with this urban recreation.

• Like 5

AGAIN, my thanks to TRACTION editor, Stephen Rabone, for providing a pdf of the detailed table I compiled (mainly with the aid of information kindly supplied by Adrian Nicholls) to accompany Part Two of my London Milk article in issue 273. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the table and article, which I hope readers will enjoy and find of interest, I take full responsibility for any errors contained in both and thus welcome any corrections or other related comments via the TRACTION letters section. 

My sincere thanks for the positive feedback received thus far for Part One (featured in TRACTION 272). which is very much appreciated. 

Cheers.

Dave. 

Edited by David J Hayes
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It was published yesterday  - 26th November - but it will depend on whether this branch has received their copies and also presumably whether they have had time to put them on the shelves. Perhaps it is worth asking when you visit WHS again if they are still not there.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

No. 273 available for purchase at Smith's this morning, so very happy.  The well-illustrated milk articles are very useful, and Mr Peter Nurse's about Fratton Yard much appreciated.  A minor S.R. Goods Yard to have such coverage is good, with the dearth of Central Div. freight in the 1970's/80's.  Many thanks to all concerned for another interesting issue.

Edited by C126
  • Like 1