RMweb

Bin liner containerised brake van

Bristol_Rich

Hi all…

This video popped up in my recommendations and in the first min the bin liner brake van caught my eye… 

5088356E-1DB1-4958-BC63-CA56F57989D7.jpeg.9d70c92e4b8392ed8acb92440d599f09.jpeg

I know in the past the principle was trialed and an example exists in the NRM, but I always thought the idea never took on with the advancement of brake technology.

I'm presuming this example is to aid propelling moves?  Does anyone have any further details? 

Edited by Bristol_Rich
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the guard (if provided) would be in the back cab of the loco and this 'van' is only to provide (as the OP suggests) for a propelling move.

Seems to be some sort of linkage/piping, maybe connecting to the brake pipe, to provide for basic 'emergency' control of the brakes?

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

610134 (FCA) Newport 01st-July-2009

By AndrewHAs on Flickr

"FCA 610134 in the consist of 6C97 1157 Avonmouth to Newport Alexandra Dock Junction Yard , had this rather strange 20 foot container there-on. I am only guessing but I assume this is to provide ''accommodation '' for a travelling shunter on a propelling move at Avonmouth Docks Yards . If anyone knows the definite answer I would be pleased to hear it.

The container looks similar to the ones used a few years ago now when the Bin-Liner Rubbish Trains used to run from Cricklewood R T S in London to Stewartby, Forders Sidings Landfill site in Bedfordshire and a ''Travelling-Shunter'' was required for a propelling move at Forders Siding."

Also http://www.hondawanderer.com/60044_Kempston_1996.htm

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1