Countdown to Christmas... An Advent Challenge

Nick Mitchell

• RMweb Premium

Nearly three years ago I wrote the instructions for Nigel Hunt's then brand-new Fowler 2-6-4T kit.

As part of that exercise, I needed to part-build the body of one of the original cab variants of the kit, but I never finished it off.

A year later I started building the chassis, but never finished it off.

Is anyone noticing a pattern?

Today is Advent Sunday, and I have decided to set myself the challenge of finishing off the loco (not including painting) before Christmas.

Seeing one of Nigel's own superbly finished models "in the flesh" again at the AGM really made me want to get on with mine. 

I made a list of all the jobs I need to complete, and there are currently 24 of them.

So... as an incentive to myself, I am intending to post here each day between 1st December and Christmas Eve about the construction sequence.

It will be a kind of Advent Calendar, for anyone who wants to take a peek each day.

I took photographs as I went along, and I thought this would also be a nice way to share them.

With a bit of luck, I should finish the build in time for the last post on Christmas Eve...

Let's hope the loco doesn't turn out to be a Christmas Turkey!

By way of inspiration, although in a later period than I intend to model, here's 42374 on the L&Y main line with a Rochdale to Southport service:

27c26db159d17d950926d7c6cf4334dd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like my kind of advent calendar!  Best of luck.

I made a similar decision about my Ivatt 262, just to get it running by Christmas, nothing as exciting as ‘finished’.

Cheers

Simon

6 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

One is tempted to do something similar… starting a day late due to time zones and what not, but like the Aussie ODI team I’m sure the deficit can be overcome.  

🧤picked up - but I’ll do my own thead!

What Kev said. I've got an annoying Beyer Peacock VR T class in bits. Like Simon said I'll hope to get the chassis running.

Challenge accepted...

• RMweb Premium

2nd December - Front buffer beam, and beginnings of the superstructure

The downward projections at the font end of the valances are quire vulnerable, so the next task was to fit the front buffer beam.

This is in two layers, the front one having a cornucopia of rivets to press out, enabling the builder to choose their preferred rivet configuration. The slots that the coupling hook will move in is a separate part. Buffers are the turned brass "Coronation" type from N Brass:

18.jpg.e8cd7812fd105a85efa96dc807734196.jpg

19.jpg.111422be319e20f07e401c418ff61fba.jpg

To help align the superstructure, Nigel has opted for a novel arrangement of "battens" round which the tank and bunker sides will fit.

These are soldered onto the footplate (strengthening it in the process) and aligned with 1mm holes (perfect for top-hat bearings).

20.jpg.a59c212eda662885c74fce94020edbfe.jpg

It was necessary to clean away any fillet of solder along the outside edges of these battens, to allow the tank and bunker sides to fit up tight against them.

In the next picture, you can see I've also added 12BA nuts for the chassis fixing screws. These were done with my usual method of screwing them tight to a cocktail stick inserted from underneath to both align them and prevent solder from entering the threads.

21.jpg.b2afc055777ce605bebb494799d91c33.jpg

The cab front is the first part of the superstructure to rise up from the footplate, but before it could be fitted in place, the front cab window frames were soldered on. On the prototype these hinge upwards, and I've tried to represent their characteristic "closed" position with the bottoms of the frames projecting slightly.

22.jpg.6400aac940bf899a0a065b370ca38a88.jpg

There are two sets of slots in the footplate, catering for the slightly different positions of the Fowler and Stanier style cab options. The rear-most slots are correct for the Fowler style cab. A square is being used to make sure it is fixed vertically.

23.jpg.0e1128a36dc3fb3849c55a7dac55fa8b.jpg

Here the right-hand tank frame is being test-fitted against the locating battens. The frame also has to connect to the cab side with a couple of tabs and slots. As one would expect with a Nigel Hunt kit, the fit of the parts is immaculate. I'm holding the tank side in place with a bit of wooden coffee stirrer - it saves on burnt fingers when it comes to soldering!

24.jpg.93d1795b2c5ad8bb50ce1c8814285315.jpg

Soldering is done a bit at a time to make sure that a) the battens don't move, and b) there's scope for checking (frequently!) that everything is lining up properly as the job progresses.

Here I've completed a seam along the upper footplate batten, and just soldered a small section in the middle of the lower one.

25.jpg.5b007ce5361a92ef124d1097832993ef.jpg

Soldering complete (with fingers still intact!) including a seam up the cab front, and everything looks nice and square.

26.jpg.a359e094ca9bcc12125df895bf1f4bac.jpg

With a bit of luck, not too much solder will have come through to the other side of the joint, but any that has will need cleaning away before the tank side overlay "skins" can be fitted correctly:

27.jpg.58698c9c7a06d29265b827959f75ad47.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

3rd December - Cab (continued) and bunker

With the cab front and tank sides in place, the splashers over the rear driving wheels could be fitted, along with the handrails in the cab doorway.

I used etched handrail knobs, soldered to the inside of the cab side-sheets. I filed a little notch out of the splasher to accommodate the stem of the bottom handrail knob.

31.jpg.c3ae47c3db83608474ed0e33fa0cd5b6.jpg

The splashers themselves fold up from one piece in a cunning way, but here I encountered the only instance of a part not quite fitting.

When I folded the end of the splasher (see picture below of the left-hand one), it left a bit of a gap. It turned out the splasher was too long by exactly the with of the gap.

My solution was to remove the end, solder it in place butted up to the splasher top, and then file back the protruding side.

29.jpg.363345eca06fbb037b7135228f7b37f6.jpg

The kit includes a representation of the screw reverser which fits into a slot on top of the splasher on the driver's side:

34.jpg.67a776d0c17e3e5af501700f63f0a8b5.jpg

Next I moved on to the cab rear plate, and it was time to crochet the glazing bars from the finest phosphor bronze wire I could lay my hands on - 41s.w.g. (or 0.11mm if you are metric).

While fiddly to do, the result is much finer than could have been achieved by etching. The bars thread through holes in the cab rear, all 24 of which all had to be drilled through without breaking a 0.25mm drill bit(!) (along with the 10 further holes on the top edge of the cab).

The kit does provide some etched rings to solder into the recesses to represent window frames, but I chose not to fit these. The cab windows open inwards, and to my mind the half-etched recesses represent the frames of a closed window perfectly.

32.jpg.a7d4660f02af32e0daae9499c99defec.jpg

after threading through, the wires were pulled tight, trimmed, and soldered on the inside of the cab. I've done my best to clean up the excess, but stopped short of filing them completely flush, so that there is no chance they will come loose and fall out.

33.jpg.8f73ba748999f4f5703cac3df67501a5.jpg

The cab rear was then fitted, much like the front...

35.jpg.86058e99e071c1e287dc2571079220f8.jpg

...and the wrap-around bunker frame folded carefully to shape and fitted round the batten on the floor. Once again, the fit was spot on.

37.jpg.f3a8dab57cd09e2543e0b34af884baa4.jpg

The final tasks at this stage were to fit the rear set of cab doorway handrails, and file the protruding tabs flush on the cab sides, so they won't make lumps under the skin later.

38.jpg.297511216fee1f6fc7b8232c1a92be5e.jpg

You may notice two tiny holes in the footplate either side of the cab opening in the picture above. These are for locating the handrails on the Stanier cab version of the kit. I will fill them in later.

One other thing I found when fitting the cab front and rear was that the tabs on the bottom edge were longer than the thickness of the footplate. This meant i couldn't have the footplate sitting flat on the wooden support block when the parts were initially fitted together, or they wouldn't have sat down fully.

It also meant that the protruding tabs needed filing flush in the underside of the footplate... lucky for me that I hadn't fixed the rear buffer beam in place by this point...

43.jpg.619ba9de37bf246ba5aaf7ee7fcb0765.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

4th December - Final cab details and side overlays

Many of the fowler tanks were fitted with water pickup apparatus (others were assembled with some of the parts, with an eye to full retro-fitting at a later date).

The domes for the pickup gear were located on extensions to the bunker tank which protruded inside the cab.

These called for the first of many turnings to be made on my watchmakers' lathe.

Although a lathe is not essential for 2mm work, I really enjoy using mine, so it is my go-to for jobs like this. The kit instructions suggest commercial castings or other ways of making these details.

I turned spigots on the domes for locating them on the tank extensions.

39.jpg.08f75ad8df302e7f1ded7fd2ab1646dc.jpg

With the tank extensions and domes in place, the raised cab floor could be fitted.

The cab floor has holes to locate the handbrake and water scoop stanchions, and I worried that these didn't like up vertically above the holes I had previously drilled in the footplate.

As it turned out, the bottoms of the stanchions don't need to go through the footplate anyway, just down through the cab floor.

41.jpg.315c48950c0f0c1a56a61ff0aee7e8f2.jpg

Here the brake and scoop handles are fitted into the holes in the cab floor, and making use of some handrail-knob-like etchings to steady them at the top - they look close enough to the prototype brackets.

42.jpg.2845753ec060a6d7360e221bfefea047.jpg

With the cab interior detail complete (as far as what is provided in the kit is concerned - backhead detail etc, is left up to the builder, and with the enclosed nature of the cab in this instance, I don't think it will be visible - everything that can be viewed in silhouette through the cab windows is catered for) the half-etched side overlays can be fitted.

There's a bit of careful folding to be done in preparation. Firstly, the bunker side needs to be scored from the inside. Two little etched "whiskers" thoughtfully mark where the score line should be. I did this gently with a scriber on a hard surface.

44.jpg.2cfac47df85e0f58697a004e7dfc2a0d.jpg

The scoring on its own is enough to impart just the right bend into the metal.

45.jpg.563315b2cd0aa87e17cb9eb53d318a99.jpg

Next, the top of the cab needs to be bent inwards. Both sides of the cab opening need to be bent along exactly the same line, and I used a hold-and-fold to achieve this. Here you can see me checking against the cab rear to verify the angle of the bend is correct.

47.jpg.a29b6d516bcd99b6ab80cd49097270de.jpg

Here is the fireman's side checked and ready to fit:

48.jpg.302257994b93209f4d48307843155b54.jpg

The left (driver's) side is fitted in place - with a huge sigh of relief that everything lines up neatly.

50.jpg.c0e720761655c48e004478a16f09616c.jpg

To attach the overlays, they were tinned, and plenty of flux was added. Then a decent amount of solder was introduced through the holes in the tank frames to tack the overlays into position. The soldering iron was then used on the outside of the overlays to draw the solder from the holes, and all over the side.

51.jpg.c1ab008b7c9103761693d9f0ffec86ac.jpg

To get the heat transfer from the iron tip, there has to be solder and flux on the outside of the tank, which leaves a bit of cleaning up to do.

The picture below shows the right hand side "sweated" in place, before being cleaned up.

53.jpg.fdb6c3e116103706ce99686b1658a996.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

6th December - Making sure the mechanism fits inside the body

Before going any further with the loco body, I wanted to make a start on the chassis so that I could be sure the two would fit together nicely.

Specifically, any material that needed removing from the body to accommodate the mechanism would best be done at this point, and i wanted to know how much room the motor would take up between the tanks before starting on the boiler.

I don't have step-by-step photos of the main frames going together, but they are pretty much the same as any locomotive built using folded etched spacers (such as my Jubilee).

In the photo below, the bearings are fitted, the frames assembled onto their spacers (with thin PCB for electrical isolation), and Simpson springs fitted to the front two axles.

1.JPG.c134eace4131da84d5d20e98e55fc481.JPG

i like to lay out the wheels on a board to make it easier to glue the balance weights in position and give them a coat of paint before fitting them to the chassis (which is what I was about to do when I took the photo below):

2.JPG.78fbdc521ea11d39380eff976945e3af.JPG

Here the wheels are painted and fitted to the frames, as well as the gears. I also painted the frames behind the wheels, but most of this paint ended up needing to be scraped away in order to fit the sand boxes and brake gear. The coupling rods are held in place temporarily with bits of PVC wire insulation on the centre wheels. I've already soldered crankpin cap washers to the rear wheels. at this stage, the chassis should be able to roil freely by itself down an inclined plane.

3.jpg.9aa87e54dff2e8dbab1f50b2befc302e.jpg

This is the underside of the chassis. You can see where I had to crank the brake pull-rod round the spur gear.

There's a better view here of the brass bearings fitted to two of the spacers to mount the bogie and pony truck. These were made on my lathe. There's a cup on the upper side which contains a 14BA nut soldered in place. The hole up the centre of the bearing accepts a 14BA bolt.

4.jpg.177068592a348f5a28cbfac6eed7f8ff.jpg

The spur gear on the driven axle was a loose fit on the muff. I thought when I inserted the stub axle, it would tighten up, but in this instance it did not, and the gear was able to turn on the muff. My solution, seen below, was to drill a small hole diagonally into the muff, cutting into the gear. This was filled with epoxy, and is enough of a key to stop the gear from being able to turn. The other holes in the muffs you may be able to see are to allow air to escape when pressing the half-axles in - otherwise the compressed air will always be trying to push them back out again. After the wheels are quartered, these holes can also be used to introduce some superglue or araldite to help lock them in place.

5.jpg.2f6ad0a4834e7b690a0288077291aed6.jpg

The motor is a Maxon 10mm diameter coreless, and is glued to a cradle which in turn bolts to the chassis spacer from underneath. With this arrangement, there is scope to adjust the mesh of the worm by adding shims between the spacer and motor cradle.

5a.jpg.773a0e5c4e87017bea9ba71a616668bf.jpg

With the motor fitted to the chassis, it can be offered up to the body.

on this loco, the gearing protrudes quite a long way into the cab, and I had to file a way a section of the cab floor to accommodate the worm wheel.

95.JPG.2199ab85019192ba24f7dc3967798f2b.JPG

I also needed to file back part of the centre section of the footplate (behind the front fixing screw) to make more room for the motor tags.

94.JPG.65fcc39e042502b895b4f8ee4ba1460f.JPG

96.JPG.1b25ec31c131222f6843c5fe01884d6c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Any particular reason why you've gone for a Maxon with this one Nick? Length rather than diameter seems to be the issue here, but presumably a smaller motor would have been OK unless you're envisaging this pulling Wakes Week specials?

Simon

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 65179 said:

Any particular reason why you've gone for a Maxon with this one Nick? Length rather than diameter seems to be the issue here, but presumably a smaller motor would have been OK unless you're envisaging this pulling Wakes Week specials?

Hi Simon,

The mounting cradle in the kit was designed to take a 10mm cylindrical motor. If a smaller one were used, it would need some packing underneath.

Maxon are my favourites - plus I happened to stumble across a handful going for a too-cheap-to-say-no-to price on eBay a while ago.

As for the wakes week special - in my dream, it will be pulled by the Crab that I'm still waiting for Nigel to release a kit for...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Hi Simon,

The mounting cradle in the kit was designed to take a 10mm cylindrical motor. If a smaller one were used, it would need some packing underneath.

Maxon are my favourites - plus I happened to stumble across a handful going for a too-cheap-to-say-no-to price on eBay a while ago.

As for the wakes week special - in my dream, it will be pulled by the Crab that I'm still waiting for Nigel to release a kit for...

Understood. Keep plugging away 😉

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

……. it will be pulled by the Crab that I'm still waiting for Nigel to release a kit for...

Good man, keep the pressure up - a red Crab spent the summer of 1927 at Bath where it evidently acquitted itself very well. Nigel is far too good a kit designer to retire just yet! 😊

Jerry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Good man, keep the pressure up - a red Crab spent the summer of 1927 at Bath where it evidently acquitted itself very well. Nigel is far too good a kit designer to retire just yet! 😊

Jerry

Oh no he isn’t!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

7th December - Firebox

Back to the body, and the next stage was to assemble the firebox - always a scene of trepidation when there is so much scope for getting the bends in the wrong place!

I started gently forming the curves in the wrapper around a suitably sized rod. The row of holes for the handhole doors is a mixed blessing: They assist with getting the bend in roughly the right place and horizontal, but the metal tends to distort around them.

64.jpg.fed3a76f485c4078ae515dccd23ad58b.jpg

Nigel has very thoughtfully included some slots to align the wrapper centrally on the end profiles - the outer part of which will be filed away after soldering is complete.

Using the centralised end as a guide to finishing the bends prevents that most embarrassing of problems that the late Peter Whitehead described so eloquently when he looked at my first attempt at a Raithby 4F Firebox more than 15 years ago and sympathised: "Ahh - the duvet slipped".

65.jpg.18c7179729cbd1bb0a96c34fbcc4e1a6.jpg

The front end is made up of multiple layers stacked over 0.7mm rod, and includes a support for the boiler tube:

66.jpg.5d552894c6f71d6c7b6345d7467499ca.jpg

The wrapper soldered to the ends - reasonably straight, and not even inside out!

67.jpg.7630f76f75a46541af2a791b559dbc52.jpg

The firebox is quite flimsy to begin with, but strength is increased with the addition of the inner layers which contain representations of the washout plugs.

These were quite tricky to do, as you have to solder them from the inside, without being able to see whether they are properly lined up. The drill is to line them up and clamp them in place, tack solder, and double-check that they haven't moved.

68.jpg.154ea60edca04b37496a43bce5833da2.jpg

Next come the hand-hole doors on the firebox shoulders. Not all fireboxes had these, but since the holes were there, it felt rude not to put them on.

The door covers are etched individually and are designed to be lined up over a length of wire.

First stage therefore is to solder in the wires, to create something not unlike those 1970s dinner party hedgehogs - albeit devoid of chunks of cheese and pineapple!

69.jpg.58d501208ec21198b9c6cbda467d9df5.jpg

The oval doors need curving slightly to sit on the firebox shoulders. Here they are soldered in place before cleaning up.

70.jpg.6c8b6e6201a2b67eba8a8c4e5e9a704d.jpg

After the wires were trimmed back and the excess solder cleaned up, two short lengths of 1mm brass rod were soldered into the rear end of the firebox. These will plug into the cab front.

71.jpg.571de12e2d2129c3e5ab5a2795296cfa.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

8th December - Boiler and Smokebox

The boiler started off as a length of  13/32" diameter brass tube, carefully measured* to be 33.33mm long

*or not so carefully, as it turned out, but that is a story for another day.

75.jpg.76fd1ce3ad9ed3465748b09fec71f39f.jpg

The smokebox is formed as a pair of wrappers soldered to what will be the front end of the tube. The inner wrapper is mostly full thickness, and the outer wrapper half-etched with rivet detail etc.

I used a miniature swage block to help form the curves in the wrappers, rolling them over-tight (as can be seen in the next three pictures of the inner wrapper being formed) so they would be a spring fit onto the tube.

72.jpg.d0c4fd524b92759c9c436881a1150f9c.jpg

73.jpg.723aad7d2689ebd9892c98201048d67e.jpg

74.jpg.b6b56b9ff0aa6599860e7beeaf79443c.jpg

Once a reasonably close fit was achieved, I could hold the wrapper in place for soldering. The inner wrapper needed to be flush with the end of the tube.

76.jpg.8487464e6935e971565590345c7ec8c5.jpg

The method of soldering I used was to coat the tube and inside of the wrapper with Carr's solder paint, then heat the whole lot with a mini blow torch.

Soft iron wire was loosely wound around the wrapper to hold it gently in position while the heat was applied.

It did the job, but created quite a mess.

77.jpg.77b9a67b328387f7a5b6093dfef6d0cf.jpg

Nigel has since shown an alternative (and much cleaner) method of tinning both parts, clamping with wood, and using a normal soldering iron to sweat them together.

Anyway, once cleaned up with a Garryflex block (the boiler, not me), I was ready to repeat the process for the outer wrapper.

78.jpg.5b5b7747c78361a3ed689bc8b9001c2f.jpg

i needed to be careful that the holes etched in the two wrappers tiled up perfectly, and this time the wrapper needed to protrude slightly from the front of the tube:

79.jpg.0d84c11d7dec82ce2299fbfeebcb73c5.jpg

Some years ago I splashed out on a Proxxon micro milling machine, although it doesn't get nearly as much use as my watchmaker's lathe (which, incidentally, was used to cut the boiler tube to length). The milling machine was perfect, however, for cutting a wide slot in the bottom of the boiler tube to accommodate the motor, before soldering it to the firebox.

80.jpg.ca07c7de6d7c59449e3728ead17104d0.jpg

All that remained was to use the smokebox wrapper as a guide to drill holes through the brass tube for chimney, handrails and steam pipes to be fitted, and the main boiler unit was ready for trial fitting.

81.jpg.9ed4504a1b155bf104508fb8880e67fa.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2022 at 23:10, queensquare said:

Oh yes he is.
Sorry Nigel but it is Pantomime season!😊

Jerry

I set you up nicely for that Jerry!

Regards,

Nigel H

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

8th December - Boiler and Smokebox

The method of soldering I used was to coat the tube and inside of the wrapper with Carr's solder paint, then heat the whole lot with a mini blow torch.

Soft iron wire was loosely wound around the wrapper to hold it gently in position while the heat was applied.

It did the job, but created quite a mess.

77.jpg.77b9a67b328387f7a5b6093dfef6d0cf.jpg

Nigel has since shown an alternative (and much cleaner) method of tinning both parts, clamping with wood, and using a normal soldering iron to sweat them together.

Whichever method you use, you probably end up with a mess of solder. That doesn't worry me as it can be cleaned off, I'm more concerned about getting as much heat as possible to try to ensure a good join all round the smokebox.

3 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

All that remained was to use the smokebox wrapper as a guide to drill holes through the brass tube for chimney, handrails and steam pipes to be fitted, and the main boiler unit was ready for trial fitting.

81.jpg.9ed4504a1b155bf104508fb8880e67fa.jpg

Nick, great work and I'm enjoying your postings on this.

Nig H

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

9th December - Disaster and Recovery

With the firebox pegged into the cab front, I drilled hole up through the smokebox saddle and tapped it 12BA, just so that I could temporarily bolt the boiler in place. Eventually, the steam pipes will permanently hold everything together.

83.jpg.2f646d6ef7d678d13618e026b8dde9d7.jpg

84.jpg.e6e608e5f1f8d738aafa34f66601cd88.jpg

Speaking of steam pipes holding things together, the holes in the footplate will obviously need to line up perfectly with those in the smokebox wrapper. When they do, the back of the smokebox should be in line with the back of the saddle.

Unfortunately, when everything lined up perfectly at the front end, I discovered a gap of just under half a millimetre at the back of the firebox.

85.jpg.5216e2d3b03074c6d3371fca4e3a8014.jpg

The view from above highlights the problem:

87.jpg.30dcfa6677a5079a197fb0af86a248f0.jpg

Somehow I had managed to cut the boiler tube slightly too short. I didn't feel confident that I could remove the smokebox wrappers to install on a replacement tube without mangling them, so the existing tube had to be extended.

I un-soldered the boiler form the firebox, and soldered it onto a piece of nickel silver the appropriate thickness.

In the photo below, I am part-way through cutting away the excess material:

88.jpg.3d95393aa13aba709b019945eb89ca36.jpg

The outside of the nickel silver was trimmed away before being filed back to the brass tube.

89.jpg.ddf6b6d4b7df57e60143550adcaa093f.jpg

Eventually, I ended up with a slightly extended boiler.

90.jpg.ef92b5e2f0e41bdf326dd9f078d44034.jpg

At the front end, the holes line up correctly...

91.jpg.b4549e2505ca7424a063af4e07ad9c71.jpg

...and at the rear end, the gap is eliminated.

92.jpg.73abb4bb688cce6367d73a05de41688c.jpg

With the boiler and firebox still readily removable, it was a good time to file away some more material that was found to be necessary in order to accommodate the motor. A section needed to be removed from the bottom of the firebox sides.

97.JPG.dface6e51716a8838eb3562c16f5a8c7.JPG

This was necessary because the motor is ever so slightly wider than the inside of the firebox.

99.JPG.580e30d1984e12256bf14eaa37b8f3ed.JPG

100.JPG.2ba28aa30c37c328974d342898a66893.JPG

There isn't a huge amount of headroom to spare, but I filed enough away from the firebox sides so that the motor could fit right up against the crescent shaped support piece that formed the join between the boiler and firebox.

98.JPG.1896ae7def1297e4e9fdb096bec9dde1.JPG

With the corrected and adjusted smokebox/boiler/firebox unit bolted in position, the character of the loco is really starting to reveal itself now:

93.jpg.80259c9581bfd248c28cddcb7467632e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1