Countdown to Christmas... An Advent Challenge

Nick Mitchell

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Is that one which was needing work when I was there Nick?  And when are you planning on modelling it?  Lent?

He needs to abstain from RMWeb for Lent so we can give up feeling inferior (in modelling terms) for 40 odd days 😉 

Simon

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

21st December - Quality Control

In my grand plan, I was going to reveal the injector and ejector today - the last of the really fiddly details, before everything started to come together. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for those, while I catch up with some un-planned work to fix a problem that had become apparent recently.

Sometimes when building a model, I slowly become aware of a problem, but try to convince myself it isn't really there.

The issue festers, until eventually I come round to the idea that I can't live with it, and I need to sort it out before carrying on. Well, this is one of those occasions.

The first thing that struck me recently was that the middle section of the footplate was bending up slightly, just in front of the side tanks. I'd been trying to convince myself this was an optical illusion, caused by the "set" in the valance, but eventually I had to admit the truth.

The second realisation was that the smokebox and boiler were not in line with each other. In fact, neither were horizontal. The firebox sloped down and the boiler sloped up.

In the picture below, with the top edge of the firebox/boiler lined up at front and rear with one of the lines on my cutting mat, the "dip" in the middle is subtle, but obvious.

Also apparent in the picture is an unsightly gap between the firebox and cab front, caused in part by the firebox bending down.

Who says I don't do cruel close-ups, Simon??? @65179

153.jpg.c536b616033687207acf6023b33b1b56.jpg

There is no support in the middle of the firebox/boiler unit, and I can only think that when I soldered on the dome, either I pressed down too hard and bent it where the firebox/boiler joint is, or else the heat from soldering the dome travelled along the boiler and softened the joint enough to allow it to sag.

With the smokebox being fixed to the saddle, if the boiler tube was sloping upwards, it was now obvious why the front of the footplate was also bent upwards.

The repair was something of an experiment, and turned out to be easier than I had feared.

I fluxed, then heated the joint between the boiler and firebox from underneath with the largest bit I have for my soldering iron, and once the boiler tube was hot and the solder flowing, I pushed down on the crescent support that is pegged into the firebox front. I felt the whole thing move, and I was able to adjust it until the top was straight and level.

The (posed) photo below shows how I propped up the front end so I could push down. It could all have gone so horribly wrong!

158a.jpg.0308e3a5f6469763b969405f5996c2ea.jpg

After the adjustment, a gap appeared between the smokebox and boiler, which I tried to fill with solder. It made a bit of a mess...

156.jpg.4be5c208639da3206c3fae6956900f59.jpg

...but it cleaned up okay:

159.jpg.764d8b15b95b830cd71cf910bc283520.jpg

While I was in the mood for filling gaps, I attended to the joint between the firebox and cab front.

This was an altogether neater procedure. I fluxed the joint, placed a small piece of solder on the cab front, heated it from the inside, and watched in wonder as the solder melted and flowed into the crack. No cleaning up required!

162.jpg.105a51d3eb9a723679ee88bb669b0762.jpg

The repair operation seems to have been a success, with the top of the boiler and smokebox once again straight and level.

The tank stays became detached from the boiler and needed re-soldering, as did one of the mushroom vents, but that was a small price to pay, I feel.

157.jpg.6a2e11141f6ca57b4f0c7e714bd421f6.jpg

The positive side effect is that the previously bent up footplate sections are also once again straight.

158.jpg.527ae652f15094a34254d21e3cf2e624.jpg

I ought to post some forward progress as well as details of the repair, so here are the first of the handrails on the smokebox sides.

The "knobs" are etched, and the rails 8 thou. plain steel guitar string.

160.jpg.3e75b7529d957d3dc5c252455fd203be.jpg

161.jpg.7b20a1237aa79678050361d05855f372.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Is that one which was needing work when I was there Nick?  And when are you planning on modelling it?  Lent?

Not quite. This is "Cumbria", a Hunslet Austerity - big brother to Beatrice if you like (although younger).

She's been "lent" (sorry!) to us by the Furness Railway Trust, and has been doing sterling service at Embsay for a number of years, on and off. (In fact, I had my first ever turn as a cleaner on her many years ago.)

I think the engine you're thinking of is Wheldale - another Austerity and also painted red, so it's easy to confuse them.

Wheldale belongs to the railway, and is currently under restoration. If all goes according to plan, she may be finally back in action in around 12 months time.

As for making a model... I have no plans at the moment, but never say never!

I took this photo of Cumbria tonight, in company with the other service loco (Bagnall 'New standard 18"' No. 401) ready to double-head some empty stock back to Embsay after switching out Stoneacre 'box. (Beatrice was standby loco today)

20221221_163911.jpg.95ad55388e207a4db532538520386bbb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've made a bit more progress on and off over the past 6 weeks or so.

The electrickery was the last excuse I could use to put off painting. Having worked out which solder pads were for what on the decoder (with a much appreciated nudge in the right direction from Nigel Cliffe) I made a little stay alive:

stayalive.jpg.530c8980c5320b6aa0cf1e1721ac6cf3.jpg

The decoder is so small it sits comfortably between the motor terminals - suitably insulated with Kapton tape:

decoder.jpg.ba236445ddfd9b6ed9cae8f7b3151742.jpg

Wires for the stay alive are routed under the motor, past the gears and up on top of the bogie. The capacitors will stick up into the bunker:

dcc.jpg.fe4d2be43990311dc4a8aeecc97ffcfb.jpg

So... to the paint job... I tried UPOL Acid #8 etching primer from a can rather than Precision 2-pack primer, having had it recommended.

It's done a nice job, although I don't think the surface finish is quite a smooth as the smoothest I've achieved with Precision. Having said that, I have not achieved consistent results with Precision, and this is much better than a loco covered in cobwebs...

primer.jpg.6112739b43c1bffbcb0e8e623972d893.jpg

capacitorsinbunker.jpg.9f2b59b4e42da63f74e6664e5a5199e3.jpg

The top coat is Humbrol gloss black, thinned approx. 50:50 and applied with an airbrush - the shiny surface being the best for lining and transfers:

gloss.jpg.5faa1c38fc1dbda0d7ea8e9bf36293a7.jpg

gloss2.jpg.83f0ef278badab8bc36c29248f17c8c1.jpg

Having finally begun the paint job, I realised I hadn't yet given the loco an identity.

Usually, one would choose a suitable loco and build a model of it, but since this one grew out of a test-build for the kit instructions, I am in the position of having to work out what I've made a model of!

I had to find a loco with the same combination of features, and ideally one which lived in the North West of England shortly after nationalisation.

To add to the challenge, I wanted one that hadn't been fully repainted since the war, so that the last vestiges of lining might still be visible, giving me an excuse to practise lining with a bow pen, and then being able to obliterate most of it with weathering in case of disaster.

Fowler tanks weren't that common on the Central Division - at least not on the Lancashire side of the Pennines. Most of the pictures of 2-6-4Ts on suburban services round (for example) Rochdale seem to feature Stanier tanks (@VRBroadgauge???)

Wigan Central (23D) did have a couple at Nationalisation, however, and between February and December 1948, 2323 was on loan there.

Built in June 1928 it features a Fowler cab and smooth tank sides (tick).

It received lined black livery with block gold shaded red numbers shortly before the war (tick).

I have found a photo from around 1950 showing the loco still had tall straight tank vents by then (tick), and also retained its LMS livery (tick), albeit with BR number, which it received in August 1949

It got its new smokebox and cylinders in 1946, so had outside steam pipes by my time period (tick). The only doubt I have is whether or not it would have received a full repaint into unlined livery (with serif lettering) at this time...

1369521775-25148-9.jpg.cab2e11b0095d4575936413299015f3d.jpg

I've spent so long looking at this photo that I can convince myself the lettering is any style!

I'm waiting for some new block-style transfers to be delivered, and in the meantime, I decided to tackle the lining. We're into cruel close-up territory now.

The first picture is of the straight lines ruled onto the fireman's side - complete with gaps, lines crossing over, blemishes, etc. (oh - it's paint on my finger, not blood!) The lining paint is Humbrol gloss red. This is as thin as I could get the lines to reliably come out of the pen.

straightlines.jpg.def3065a5487c83ef06470c3ff3c6018.jpg

With the corners cut back and the curves painted in with a brush, things are looking a little better. It's not perfect, but it will be weathered!

curves.jpg.7028196031a3e213bfd4344abb8cf17b.jpg

The drivers side has been done as well. In context, it doesn't look too bad so far...

lhs.jpg.1e98876feb7dfb6a6aa1acff816c855b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

a very neat stayalive solution although finding CT decoders is like a holy grail  Im due to finally fit a stayalive when I work up the courage  ( may take a afew months ) what size capacitors have you used ?

excellent as always

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Hi @nick_bastable, they're 4x 16v 220uF tantalums in a size D package.

Since I bought them, I've seen higher capacitance available in the same package - useful if you have less room.

Hi Nick, stunning job as ever. You may have seen over on my Bath thread that I have now fitted my first stay alive and now realise just what a game changer it is. Ive used the Youchoos board which works very well but want to move on to home brewed packages, primarily for the space saving. Do you still use the same resistors etc that you outlined in your MRJ articles or have you found better ones and where do you source them.

Jerry, a definate convert! 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

I've made a bit more progress on and off over the past 6 weeks or so.

The electrickery was the last excuse I could use to put off painting. Having worked out which solder pads were for what on the decoder (with a much appreciated nudge in the right direction from Nigel Cliffe) I made a little stay alive:

stayalive.jpg.530c8980c5320b6aa0cf1e1721ac6cf3.jpg

The decoder is so small it sits comfortably between the motor terminals - suitably insulated with Kapton tape:

decoder.jpg.ba236445ddfd9b6ed9cae8f7b3151742.jpg

Wires for the stay alive are routed under the motor, past the gears and up on top of the bogie. The capacitors will stick up into the bunker:

dcc.jpg.fe4d2be43990311dc4a8aeecc97ffcfb.jpg

So... to the paint job... I tried UPOL Acid #8 etching primer from a can rather than Precision 2-pack primer, having had it recommended.

It's done a nice job, although I don't think the surface finish is quite a smooth as the smoothest I've achieved with Precision. Having said that, I have not achieved consistent results with Precision, and this is much better than a loco covered in cobwebs...

primer.jpg.6112739b43c1bffbcb0e8e623972d893.jpg

capacitorsinbunker.jpg.9f2b59b4e42da63f74e6664e5a5199e3.jpg

The top coat is Humbrol gloss black, thinned approx. 50:50 and applied with an airbrush - the shiny surface being the best for lining and transfers:

gloss.jpg.5faa1c38fc1dbda0d7ea8e9bf36293a7.jpg

gloss2.jpg.83f0ef278badab8bc36c29248f17c8c1.jpg

Having finally begun the paint job, I realised I hadn't yet given the loco an identity.

Usually, one would choose a suitable loco and build a model of it, but since this one grew out of a test-build for the kit instructions, I am in the position of having to work out what I've made a model of!

I had to find a loco with the same combination of features, and ideally one which lived in the North West of England shortly after nationalisation.

To add to the challenge, I wanted one that hadn't been fully repainted since the war, so that the last vestiges of lining might still be visible, giving me an excuse to practise lining with a bow pen, and then being able to obliterate most of it with weathering in case of disaster.

Fowler tanks weren't that common on the Central Division - at least not on the Lancashire side of the Pennines. Most of the pictures of 2-6-4Ts on suburban services round (for example) Rochdale seem to feature Stanier tanks (@VRBroadgauge???)

Wigan Central (23D) did have a couple at Nationalisation, however, and between February and December 1948, 2323 was on loan there.

Built in June 1928 it features a Fowler cab and smooth tank sides (tick).

It received lined black livery with block gold shaded red numbers shortly before the war (tick).

I have found a photo from around 1950 showing the loco still had tall straight tank vents by then (tick), and also retained its LMS livery (tick), albeit with BR number, which it received in August 1949

It got its new smokebox and cylinders in 1946, so had outside steam pipes by my time period (tick). The only doubt I have is whether or not it would have received a full repaint into unlined livery (with serif lettering) at this time...

1369521775-25148-9.jpg.cab2e11b0095d4575936413299015f3d.jpg

I've spent so long looking at this photo that I can convince myself the lettering is any style!

I'm waiting for some new block-style transfers to be delivered, and in the meantime, I decided to tackle the lining. We're into cruel close-up territory now.

The first picture is of the straight lines ruled onto the fireman's side - complete with gaps, lines crossing over, blemishes, etc. (oh - it's paint on my finger, not blood!) The lining paint is Humbrol gloss red. This is as thin as I could get the lines to reliably come out of the pen.

straightlines.jpg.def3065a5487c83ef06470c3ff3c6018.jpg

With the corners cut back and the curves painted in with a brush, things are looking a little better. It's not perfect, but it will be weathered!

curves.jpg.7028196031a3e213bfd4344abb8cf17b.jpg

The drivers side has been done as well. In context, it doesn't look too bad so far...

lhs.jpg.1e98876feb7dfb6a6aa1acff816c855b.jpg

It's looking great Nick. What style of numbers does it have on the bunker sides? I've a loco that I can't finish until I can find or have produced block style cabside numbers.

Another option for your livery choices is that the shaded LMS letters had the shading painted out. Very common on the various 4-4-0s. I'm not so sure about the tanks.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Hi Nick, stunning job as ever. You may have seen over on my Bath thread that I have now fitted my first stay alive and now realise just what a game changer it is. Ive used the Youchoos board which works very well but want to move on to home brewed packages, primarily for the space saving. Do you still use the same resistors etc that you outlined in your MRJ articles or have you found better ones and where do you source them.

Hi @queensquare, I'd seen your post - How appropriate you're Eureka moment happened in the Bath thread...

The resistor and diodes you see in the picture are indeed the same ones I've used all along - I'm still using up the original quantities I found on eBay, as written about in the MRJ article.

There are smaller resistors available (carbon film type on a little black chip) but I quite like these Mini-MELF ones.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 65179 said:

What style of numbers does it have on the bunker sides? I've a loco that I can't finish until I can find or have produced block style cabside numbers.

Given that it hadn't received it's BR number until after it moved away from Wigan L&Y, I will put numbers to match the tank-side lettering on the bunker.

The ones I'm planning to use are Fox FRH2223 https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lms-lettering-and-numbering-late-1930s-60711

I'm currently pondering what style of number to put on the smokebox door plate. Would it have had a new number plate with its new smokebox in 1946, using the block style numbers? or when it received it's san-serif livery? Essery says that it is unknown which 2-4-2Ts received this style.

9 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Another option for your livery choices is that the shaded LMS letters had the shading painted out. Very common on the various 4-4-0s. I'm not so sure about the tanks.

I read in one of Bob Essery's tomes that the "typical" condition of these tanks by nationalisation would be yellow shaded red lettering. That's what I've used on my radial tank.

I'm thinking now that I could have spent far longer researching this, instead of finally getting on with it!!!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Given that it hadn't received it's BR number until after it moved away from Wigan L&Y, I will put numbers to match the tank-side lettering on the bunker.

The ones I'm planning to use are Fox FRH2223 https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/lms-lettering-and-numbering-late-1930s-60711

I'm currently pondering what style of number to put on the smokebox door plate. Would it have had a new number plate with its new smokebox in 1946, using the block style numbers? or when it received it's san-serif livery? Essery says that it is unknown which 2-4-2Ts received this style.

I read in one of Bob Essery's tomes that the "typical" condition of these tanks by nationalisation would be yellow shaded red lettering. That's what I've used on my radial tank.

I'm thinking now that I could have spent far longer researching this, instead of finally getting on with it!!!

Sorry, I'd missed the fact that you'd be doing it with the LMS number.

I've spent longer than is healthy looking at the early post-nationalisation condition of the Stanier 2-6-2Ts. Most have retain serif smokebox numberplates with tank numbers/letters as you describe.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Not your loco, but I'd go for this style of smokebox plate.

2332 Manchester London Road 18th October 1946 Fowler 2-6-4T

Photo from Railway Photography site on smugmug. 2332 at London Road on 18 October 1946. The one or two photos in the same collection with locos with outside steam pipes and LMS livery also still have a seriffed smokebox number.

Simon

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Hi @queensquare, I'd seen your post - How appropriate you're Eureka moment happened in the Bath thread...

The resistor and diodes you see in the picture are indeed the same ones I've used all along - I'm still using up the original quantities I found on eBay, as written about in the MRJ article.

There are smaller resistors available (carbon film type on a little black chip) but I quite like these Mini-MELF ones.

To save me looking through all my MRJ pile, what edition was the stay-live article in Nick

• RMweb Premium

Getting there slowly... I never appreciated how lovely this livery actually is before. It certainly suits these Fowler tank locos, and it will be almost a shame to weather it!

20230810_000622.jpg.ea06564cef103091ab4c51389accf243.jpg

21 hours ago, 65179 said:

Not your loco, but I'd go for this style of smokebox plate.

2332 Manchester London Road 18th October 1946 Fowler 2-6-4T

Photo from Railway Photography site on smugmug. 2332 at London Road on 18 October 1946. The one or two photos in the same collection with locos with outside steam pipes and LMS livery also still have a seriffed smokebox number.

You've convinced me, @65179

The Wild Swan profile lists one loco confirmed to have a sans-serif number plate (also not mine), but all the photos I have found so far show serif ones.

I'm happy with the way it looks:

20230810_000740.jpg.18b5e0d7e9c8fdea150cdd8c54c8f6dc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3