Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

When Virgin Trains East Coast and LNER hired in East Midland Trains HST's

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was asked this question by a friend of mine in the US, when Virgin Trains East Coast and LNER to a lesser extent, hired in East Midland Train's HST sets, were they used on fixed short diagrams, such as Leeds/York to Kings Cross or venture further north to Newcastle or Edinburgh?  As they were Neville Hill maintained sets, I would assume that they were kept 'local' in case of set swops.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Thirty seconds on Flickr would have answered your/their question. They certainly went to Edinburgh for both companies. 

I did look on Flickr but found no reference.  I'll have another look.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I did look on Flickr but found no reference.  I'll have another look.

Try putting HST, Midland and Edinburgh in the search function. In several of the first pictures that appeared were GNER and Virgin services formed of MML sets going to Edinburgh. 

They were usually kept on an out and back diagram off NL. However in times of disruption they would reach other places t the end of day. These exceptions would be arranged with MML maintenance control at NL so that the next day they would end up at NL. NL64 that was usually on the hull service with a mid day trip to Leeds occasionally got days out to other places.

Al Taylor

Former ECML TRM.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, aictosphotos said:

One service they certainly found themselves on were the Lincolns, I used to get 1B90 Stevenage to Peterborough home a few times which was a regular working of it.

Anyone remember the time that they hired in a XC HST set for the day? 

A few XC set were hired in. They would often catch drivers out when going up Stoke Bank as 125 would easily achieved. They were kept on a diagram that was out and back off EC.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 45125 said:

A few XC set were hired in. They would often catch drivers out when going up Stoke Bank as 125 would easily achieved. They were kept on a diagram that was out and back off EC.

Al Taylor

I only remember the once that I saw a XC set being hired in to cover the availabity for some reason of the usual hired in EMT set, that was the only time I got mileage on a XC HST and was between Stevenage and Grantham.