Hornby Schools Loco to Tender DCC connection.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Acquired a lovely Hornby Schools for £30 at Auction; DCC ready. However for some reason the Loco to Tender DCC wiring set up was broken. The wires had been severed. This was the 'Repair' required statement on the Auction description, hence the 'bargain' cost!

I can repair the wiring from the Loco and the soldering ends of these on the Loco are all fine. It is the little 4 wire Plug that would plug into the Tender Socket that is damaged. The 4 wires from the Loco would normally be soldered/clipped(?) into this little Plug.

The Socket in the Tender is fine as far as I can see. 

The Tender has pick ups, as does the Front Bogie of the Loco. I can't see Driving Wheel Pick ups. It looks like the Tender provides most of the Pick Up power and also has the Decoder base and Blanking Plate at the moment?

My firsts questions are, if anyone knows the typical Hornby system, is the Plug available as an item and if so how do the wires from the Loco fit into it?

I can take some Pics tomorrow if it helps?

Second question is, might there be another way to take the wires from the Loco (and Motor), to the wiring and Decoder in the Tender. It should be a Connector of some sort.

A very simple solution could be to obtain a 'salvaged' Plug with 4 wires nicely attached and then just solder the 4 Loco wires to these wires, thus repairing that original severing? That Soldering job I could achieve. I have not yet searched the Spares providers to look for such an Item.

Many thanks.

Phil

You maybe able to use below. How you know which wire is which I have no idea, as Hornby paint them all Black.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32845564955.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.57.1d81298fOUCsiO&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!US %244.22!US %244.22!!!!!%402100bdd716698450017415144e4ac5!65170750942!sh

I dont think Hornby sell the wiring seperate.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The replacement you need is Hornby spare part X6113 which provides a new plug with the wires attached. You just need to solder these to the points on the loco in the same order as the broken ones. 

EDIT: In stock at Lendons of Cardiff.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, RFS said:

The replacement you need is Hornby spare part X6113 which provides a new plug with the wires attached. You just need to solder these to the points on the loco in the same order as the broken ones. 

EDIT: In stock at Lendons of Cardiff.

Thank you both very much. I was about to search Lendons.

• Like 1

You can check with a meter at the tender but usually the outer pair of wires are the pickups and the inner pair the motor for a tender mounted socket - or a speaker from a loco mounted socket.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

10 months later I have another damn Engine with the same issue. This time it's the notorious Hornby Standard 75xxx. I was attempting to get it to run smoothly after replacing the Gear Box Cover. One of the wire connections came away from the stupid little Tender Plug. 

I shall be able to identify which wire goes where, IF I do the replacement one by one!

Hey ho, at least you helpful comments are still here.

Phil