Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lamps for 'Light Engine' Working

Art Dent

Okay, so I know that a steam loco working 'light engine' had a single, centrai, buffer-beam mounted light (colour = white?)

So, what was at the rear?

I'm guessing that a single red lamp (central, buffer-beam mounted) ?

Thinking specifically of tender locos although, of course, the requirement woud equally apply to non-tender locomotives as well.

I have got all this correct have I?

There are many pictures of locos working 'light engine' but invariably, they are running forwards and coming towards the camera - not going away.

Thanks

Art

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 31A said:

A single red lamp on the rear, but it doesn't have to be central, just on whichever lamp iron it's easiest to put it on.

I think I am correct in saying that the rear lamp was usually was one of the headlamps that had a red slide inserted between the flame and the lens. That way the loco only had to carry two lamps. Most lamp headcodes were one or two lamps although there were exceptions.  

Presumably, when not in use, the slide was in a holder built into the lamp case. Can anyone confirm please?

Andrew

The correct Class G headcode was one lamp central over the buffer beam, but more often than not it would be placed on one of the side lamp irons, especially if heading for a station to work a train. The tail lamp would then be moved to the other iron to be used - economy of movement!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

I think I am correct in saying that the rear lamp was usually was one of the headlamps that had a red slide inserted between the flame and the lens. That way the loco only had to carry two lamps. Most lamp headcodes were one or two lamps although there were exceptions.  

Presumably, when not in use, the slide was in a holder built into the lamp case. Can anyone confirm please?

Andrew

The Loco headlamps were dual purpose so a separate 'red' tailamp needn't be carried. Older lamps did indeed have a red slide that was kept at the side of the lamp when not in use and was simply dropped in front of the lens when needed as a tail lamp. More modern types had a swivel red lens which could be dropped into place inside the lamp by turning a thumb switch outside.

Some photos below.DSC06851.JPG.3c08b98a4f45c91a051820e982dd3048.JPGDSC06852.JPG.6fb8abb621fe709cc45e97efa8d0402e.JPGDSC06853.JPG.dfe0ae1443459f54861a721172528fbd.JPGDSC06854.JPG.06aee26db5927cca305d634d3c677e46.JPGDSC06855.JPG.4e945211980aa2d530fb46b4a93b0ac2.JPGDSC06856.JPG.d2fc0c9f6efee86b166a3a76ce15781f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Thank you for the replies.

So, in summary, for 'light engine' working, single WHITE lamp, certally-placed at buffer-beam level, at the reat a single RED lamp placement doesn;t matter (probably platform side?)

Art

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Art Dent said:

So, in summary, for 'light engine' working, single WHITE lamp, certally-placed at buffer-beam level, at the reat a single RED lamp placement doesn;t matter (probably platform side?)

Art

Yes, and if running from a station probably the side that was nearest to the platform.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2022 at 22:58, Art Dent said:

Art

Except in certain cases on the GWR where the postu ion of the tail Lamp was specified for auto-train engines when they were at the rear of a train or running light.   But just to confuse the issue station/yard pilot engines on the GWR also carried a single red lamp at each end.

On 21/12/2022 at 13:43, The Stationmaster said:

Except in certain cases on the GWR where the postu ion of the tail Lamp was specified for auto-train engines when they were at the rear of a train or running light.   But just to confuse the issue station/yard pilot engines on the GWR also carried a single red lamp at each end.

Trust God's Wonderful Railway to do their own thing!

Art