Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ER Class 303 (AM5) 3 car EMUs - did they ever have a fourth car added (circa 1969) ?

Rail-Online

Hi,

I know very little about ER suburban EMUs, but here is 423  at Enfield Town in 1969 and it appears to be either pulling (impossible) or having an additional coach added.  Were they ever extended to 4 coaches?

I don't think this could be a loose carriage as it is not at the buffer stops and it is not a parcels vehicle.

Cheers Tony

EMU 423 1969 Enfield Town.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony. A number of class 305 (AM5) units were reformed in the 1990s, including 305 414 gaining a class 302 driving trailer. However, I don't recall seeing any of the 3-car units reformed to 4-car.

I'm sure there'll be an online resource somewhere if you dig deep enough!

3 minutes ago, Trevellan said:

Hi Tony. A number of class 305 (AM5) units were reformed in the 1990s, including 305 414 gaining a class 302 driving trailer. However, I don't recall seeing any of the 3-car units reformed to 4-car.

I'm sure there'll be an online resource somewhere if you dig deep enough!

The units in the picture are all over blue, it's 1970s, the first carriage of the second unit is before the points, the second and third are over the point and into the headshunt - it's two units coupled, not one unit and one carriage.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The units in the picture are all over blue, it's 1970s, the first carriage of the second unit is before the points, the second and third are over the point and into the headshunt - it's two units coupled, not one unit and one carriage.

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on.  🙂  Yes, definitely 1970s and yes, an optical illusion.

I lived on the West Anglia route from childhood until 2013 and effectively grew up with the 302s, 305s, 307s and 308s. The all-blue era was awful as the units looked so drab. Blue/grey made them look so much better.

6 minutes ago, Trevellan said:

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on.  🙂  Yes, definitely 1970s and yes, an optical illusion.

I lived on the West Anglia route from childhood until 2013 and effectively grew up with the 302s, 305s, 307s and 308s. The all-blue era was awful as the units looked so drab. Blue/grey made them look so much better.

Didn't think it was that drab...........at least the unmodernised surroundings added character......

BR179.jpg.410b90f4f196d233bba0469e47747f36.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Definitely not a class 303. Although if anyone has a photo of a class 303 running as a 4 car in the Manchester area in the 1960s I would love to see it.

When they went to Manchester for transformer mods they sent them out for test runs with two motor coaches. Never seen a photo though