The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NOT Watching football

AMJ

• RMweb Gold

Well I had a lovely afternoon yesterday on the beach at Paington, paddling with our 2 1/2 year old & waving at the trains going past. It certainly got less crowed as the footy herds went off around 2.30pm....

Interesting piece on the BBC website about how much importance gets attatched to the England football side's performances & contrasting with the laid-back response to other European national sides. I predict a period of gloom with the budget & now this.

I wonder what kind of reception the team will get - a bunch of overpaid self-centred prima donnas in my mind tongue.gif

• RMweb Gold
contrasting with the laid-back response to other European national sides

What?? I don't think there's a very laid back response in either France or Italy at the moment!

a bunch of overpaid self-centred prima donnas in my mind

I am a firm supporter of pay as a reward for performance - set someone a target and pay them if they achieve that target.

x0,000 to be shared among the team for each match won. ( or a year in the salt mines for a loss ) :D

Regarding incentives and rewarding performance - it has been reported that Capello(sp?) told the team that if they won they could spend time with their wives and girlfiends, whereas the the German team have been promised a million Euros each if they win. Fat incentive the UK one was - now they've lost they get to spend time with the WAGs anyway! rolleyes.gif Fortunately I'm not a fan of the overpaid under-achievers!

We won a cricket match and lost a football match. So what ?

Let's get back to the things that are really important, and ignore the hysteria generated by the equally overpaid media, which appears to be very difficult for some individuals of somewhat unsound mind.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

This is an area for you to have a groan about the fact that on the TV there is only football or Tennis on.

Hi all, Not sure if this topic was posted tongue in cheek to get a reaction, but this is trotted out every time we have a major sporting event televised. In proportion the amount of non-sport coverage per 24 hours is far greater than the sport coverage, taking the 5 major channels. If you've gone digital, it's even greater. Yesterday there were two games of about two hours each coverage, one mid afternoon and one at peak viewing time. Admittedly Wimbledon is on BBC2 all day, but there are other channels.

I happen to enjoy most sports, others can't stand it, that's ok and perfectly normal. But please don't claim there's nothing on as an alterntive. It just doesn't wash.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

If I remember correctly, the last football match I went to was at Kilmarnock, and my dad dragged me along as his pal in the next seat to his was not going, and he wanted some company - I will always remember that match, as at half time, the tannoy announced that President Kennedy had just been shot, and that he had died. I can't remember the score though. Another match I got dragged to just before was at a ground with a railway line at the back, and I turned my back on the game, and spent 90 minutes watching the trains go by!

Hi all, Not sure if this topic was posted tongue in cheek to get a reaction, but this is trotted out every time we have a major sporting event televised. In proportion the amount of non-sport coverage per 24 hours is far greater than the sport coverage, taking the 5 major channels. If you've gone digital, it's even greater. Yesterday there were two games of about two hours each coverage, one mid afternoon and one at peak viewing time. Admittedly Wimbledon is on BBC2 all day, but there are other channels.

I happen to enjoy most sports, others can't stand it, that's ok and perfectly normal. But please don't claim there's nothing on as an alterntive. It just doesn't wash.

Rob

Its not the coverage over 24 hours, its at one particular point in time that people have an issue with. There's been loads of times where there has been horseracing on two channels, football on one and tennis on another leaving only one channel free (normally for a B/W cowboy movie)

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - the other day, the only alternative to sport was an old episode of Columbo (1982 vintage) - admittedly there's the Freeview channels as well, if you're on digital, but even that is usually the four main channels, plus a number of shopping channels and a stack of repeats.

• RMweb Premium

Its not the coverage over 24 hours, its at one particular point in time that people have an issue with. There's been loads of times where there has been horseracing on two channels, football on one and tennis on another leaving only one channel free (normally for a B/W cowboy movie)

Hi, So between 3pm and 5pm it's all sport midweek? I wish I was able to watch TV every day in the afternoon. Which time are we talking about? There was one match on ITV and Wimbledon on BBC2 in the evening, all the other channels were sport free.

Rob

Hi, So between 3pm and 5pm it's all sport midweek? I wish I was able to watch TV every day in the afternoon. Which time are we talking about? There was one match on ITV and Wimbledon on BBC2 in the evening, all the other channels were sport free.

Rob

I can't give a specific example I'm afraid, and in fact I've not come across it this World Cup but I have experienced it a couple of times before on weekend afternoons. (The tennis may have been F1, or snooker, or golf etc.)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim,

I'll admit some Saturday afternoons can get a bit clogged with sport on all 5 channels. But generally there's an alternative. The WCF, only happen every 4 years, for 4 weeks, so it's not too much to ask that we have extra coverage. Of course there's the Olympics, World athletics, European football championships, that occur in between, but again only for 2 weeks or so out of 52.

If you've got terrestrial digital this "new" channel Quest is quite interesting. I think it's CH38 or 39 on Freeview.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

I'll admit some Saturday afternoons can get a bit clogged with sport on all 5 channels. But generally there's an alternative. The WCF, only happen every 4 years, for 4 weeks, so it's not too much to ask that we have extra coverage. Of course there's the Olympics, World athletics, European football championships, that occur in between, but again only for 2 weeks or so out of 52.

If you've got terrestrial digital this "new" channel Quest is quite interesting. I think it's CH38 or 39 on Freeview.

Cheers,

Rob

'coverage' is one thing - it's when you get a news bulletin just after a match has finished and they devote 30+% of that to the ruddy football; totally nonsensical as no doubt those who are interested have just watched it and the rest of us aren't in the least bit interested so don't want it taking up space on the news. We're now getting into similar mode with Wimbledon - so & so loses or whoever wins and half the news programme is devoted to it despite the fact it was all on live in the preceding hour or three.

Archived