TT:120 Scotsman

Pmorgancym

2 hours ago, Peter749 said:

I had not spotted the comment in this thread

Strange it went around the layout like that.

I have had quite a few Farish tender drive locos that locked solid while pulling a train round the track- including at one show a Bachmann engineer denying it could happen while watching a quite new Jubilee haul a train along under his very nose with driving wheels locked solid.  I gave up on the Farish BR4MT 2-6-0 as I couldn't get one that didn't lock up, and still see locked-up examples being pushed by their tenders at shows.

Fleischmann locos suffer from it, too.  But ONLY tender drive locos.  As the TT:120 beast has the motor in the engine the only way it can slide along the track is if DCC fitted and being shoved by something much more substantial....

Les

One way of spotting if a you forget to stop a Union Mills loco in the fiddle yard is that it will happily push the train in front of it with that train's loco wheels locked solid....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It's rather pleasing that 2550 Blink Bonny is one of the few Gresley A1 s where we have a contemporary photograph from the 1930s. In fact there are at least two, both my HM Lane. This one is from "LNER Locomotives in colour 1936-1948" which is highly recommended. There's another in the Colour Rail collection which shows 2550 waiting in the loco servicing area at Kings Cross, albeit the loco is slightly obscured. 

PXL_20230123_091341371small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Available to pre-order as analogue again.  They must have a third batch either just arrived or known to be in transit.

Les

other types of van are available.......

I was feeling somewhat left out because my Class 08 and wagons won't be arriving until March/April and my digital Easterner even later in May so I ordered one yesterday night and the payment was taken immediately - presumably that means that they have them in hand rather than them being in transit.

I'd imagine I'm towards the back of the queue when it comes to dispatching them so I guess I still have a few days to work out how to deal with the wrath of the Domestic Authorities before it arrives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I guess I still have a few days to work out how to deal with the wrath of the Domestic Authorities before it arrives.

I was looking at the website and my finger accidentially twitched several times.  I'm as surprised that the order went through as you are...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I was looking at the website and my finger accidentially twitched several times.  I'm as surprised that the order went through as you are...

I have less time than I thought - DPD have already sent me a mail with a tracking reference and saying they're awaiting receipt. No delivery date yet but I can see me spending a day looking out of the window, waiting for the van to pull up to intercept the knock on the door...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Porfuera said:

guess I still have a few days to work out how to deal with the wrath of the Domestic Authorities before it arrives.

If you modelled O or OO before, use the argument that these trains are smaller and cheaper!

If you had N gauge till now, you can say, yes, they are a little bigger, but so I'll need less of them. 

Succes not guaranteed!

• Funny 3

6 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I have less time than I thought - DPD have already sent me a mail with a tracking reference and saying they're awaiting receipt. No delivery date yet but I can see me spending a day looking out of the window, waiting for the van to pull up to intercept the knock on the door...

If they follow usual DPD from Hornby practice they'll email you again when it goes onto the van with a one hour slot (eg 2.17pm to 3.17pm) that they will probably deliver in - to within about half an hour either side from my experience so far - five deliveries.

Les

• Agree 1

I know these are fairly old news now but here is my newly-acquired TT:120 Scotsman in its natural environment - a table top.

It is now pretty much run-in and I have to say I'm extremely pleased with it. Initially it seemed to be struggling on the curves, even running light engine, but that seems to be disappearing.

The DPD van arrived just before noon - I was lucky enough to notice it and I was able to intercept the driver before he knocked on the door. By good fortune SWMBO was on the phone at the time and didn't see me collect the parcel, and by the time I'd set it up and showed it to her she simply assumed it was an existing piece of model railway kit. A bullet dodged there, I think.

20230204_153748.jpg.bed96c6bc175308a12318e79d574e695.jpg

I hope you like the home-made uncoupler in the foreground, made from an expired CAMRA membership card. I knew I'd kept it for a reason.

I have one  question - one of the coaches has only a single coupling. The kinematic part is there, it is just the coupling 'hook' that is missing. And I have to say that they are so tiny they are almost invisible - nothing like they look in the Hornby photos. I've cheecked the box and I can't see it and as I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere I assume it is just an assembly omission rather than intentional. In any event I'll be emailing Hornby shortly to confirm and hopefully to receive a replacement.

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Nice!

I like the way the "cats" on the windowsill appear to be watching the train as if it is a mad mouse running in circles...

Haha! I actually tried it with one of the real ones - with a firm grip on both her front paws, just in case. She seemed marginally interested at first but that soon faded and then she jumped off the table, giving the track a passing kick in the process!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Very favourable review of the Scotsman set from Tony Wright in the current BRM.

I wonder how long it will take the anti-Hornby brigade to say he panned it because the chimney was too tall and the Pullmans are the wrong type for the date of the loco?  They will, of course neglect the comment that most users won't give a fig......

Les

• Like 3
  • Agree 4