RAILEX BUXTON 1 / 2 July 2023

Long Line

• 4 weeks later...

The first show held in 2022 was brilliant with excellent layouts, this next show should be even better - you won't find a more pleasant place to hold a model railway exhibition than in Buxton's Pavillion Gardens.

Looking forward to it.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Content for this years show now concluded as:

WORKING LAYOUTS

Abbotsford – N Gauge

Angel Bank – EM

Arcadia – S Scale

Ballykeale - N

Burnham -on-sea – N Gauge

Coleford – OO9

Delyn-y-Coed – TT

Dunsfold Road – OO

Easingwold East – EM

Gunpowder Mills – O 9mm

Harkness – EM

Helston – OO

Midford – N

Newchapel Junction – O

New Sharon – ON2

Ravens Ravine – OO9

Rovex Reborn – OO

Sanderling-on-Sea -OO

Tuemill Junction -N

Ulvard Strand – OO9

CLUBS AND SOCIETIES

2mm Scale Association

3mm Society

N Gauge Society (main stand inc shop)

Association of Large Scale Railway Modellers

LNER Society

The Gauge O Guild

Peak Rail (Buxton)

Talyllyn Railway

DEMONSTRATORS

David White – Slaters Plasticard latest products

148th Road vehicles

Andy Clayton – 4mm/EM Gauge modelling

Brian Davies – 4mm Wagon loads

David Wright / Dovedale Models – Architectural and diorama modelling

Large Scale Coaching Stock Construction

Ian Hallworth - 7mm locomotive construction

Rex Ashton - 4mm Locomotive construction

Peter Leyland – Architectural modelling

TRADESTANDS

Baz’ Model Railways

Booklaw

Crafty Models

EBMA

Genesis Models

Holder Collectables

Railstuff

LMS Patriot Project

Malc’s Models

The Midland Railway Society

Mount Tabor Models

Nick Tozer Railway Books

Peak Rail Sales (Sheffield)

Rovex Sales

SMTF

Wenslydale Railway

Cheers Mark

Edited by Long Line
Change of content
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In light of the recently announced strike action on Avanti main line services between London and Scotland we have made arrangements for any exhibitors affected by the Sunday 2nd July strike to stay over Sunday eve and return Monday am. 

Frankly this is an expense too far for events like us which will affect our finances going forwards and certainly won't get the rail workers striking any sympathy from those affected.

Fortunately all local and cross country rail services remain unaffected at this time so visitors travelling to Buxton on the sat or sun should be ok.

We hope those visitors coming from further afield that have booked train tickets and accommodation over the weekend can still attend and this doesn't detract from or greatly increase the cost of their visit to the town or our show.

Safe journeys to you all

6 hours ago, Long Line said:

Frankly this is an expense too far for events like us which will affect our finances going forwards and certainly won't get the rail workers striking any sympathy from those affected.

Can't see the DfT/Treasury getting much sympathy either

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

With less than a week to go now were readying the shows kit for an early start friday. We've not heard of any changes so were feeling confident that the content will be that listed above.

Although we don't open until 9.30 am on Saturday  we are going to start taking payments and wristbanding from 9.00am so those who've arrived early can then walk straight in as doors open at 9.30am, saving the long quee to pay we were delighted but mindful of last year.

Same price etc it just speeds up getting you in and allows us to reduce the pressures upon the doorstaff on opening.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Long Line
Text

On 19/06/2023 at 04:58, Long Line said:

In light of the recently announced strike action on Avanti main line services between London and Scotland we have made arrangements for any exhibitors affected by the Sunday 2nd July strike to stay over Sunday eve and return Monday am. 

Fortunately all local and cross country rail services remain unaffected at this time so visitors travelling to Buxton on the sat or sun should be ok.

We hope those visitors coming from further afield that have booked train tickets and accommodation over the weekend can still attend and this doesn't detract from or greatly increase the cost of their visit to the town or our show.

Safe journeys to you all

Just found this on the web

Strike action scheduled for Avanti West Coast services on Sunday 2nd July 2023 has been cancelled. As a result, Avanti West Coast will run their planned timetable on this date. on the https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/industrial-action site

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 40F said:

Just found this on the web

Strike action scheduled for Avanti West Coast services on Sunday 2nd July 2023 has been cancelled. As a result, Avanti West Coast will run their planned timetable on this date. on the https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/industrial-action site

Cheers

Good news for people attending the show, just have to hope its not cost folk more in accommodation. It has us as we had to get the best deal we could so booked the extra sunday nights as non refundable! 

Frustrating..but we carry on 

Just counting our accumulative £1 pound coin collection ready for the weekend. If anyone is paying by cash some change is always appreciated at ours or at any show.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Excellent show, felt like more N gauge than an N gauge show.

Well worth a visit.

Certainly were several N gauge layouts but there was overall a very nice variety of scales, quite a something for (almost) everyone on that front.

This is what, it's second year? And it's already excellent.

• RMweb Gold

There may well have been a number of N gauge, but with EM, S, O, 009 and OO and an interesting array of traders and demonstrators the show is well worth a visit.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Reorte said:

Certainly were several N gauge layouts but there was overall a very nice variety of scales, quite a something for (almost) everyone on that front.

This is what, it's second year? And it's already excellent.

A nice big 7mm, quite a few 4mm, one 3mm and an 009, from my own perspective I only had eyes for Tuemill Junction, it helped to reaffirm my affection for my own N gauge layout.

Malc's Models seemed to bring a proper train shop vibe with their stand, almost had me thinking about some 009 stuff.  But on the other hand having boxes stacked like that I was half expecting to see something knocked over - there was a chap extracting a second hand loco from the bottom of one such stack.

• Like 1

A superb show, just full of quality. And all sorts of scales and gauges to boot. Unfortunately I was on a limited timescale on the Sunday so was not able to do proper justice to quite a few layouts, too busy talking to folk....!

Spent a bit of time helping on the 3mm society stand in a very minor way and was delighted to see 3mm layout Delyn Y Coed a BR steam era branch terminus now in the custody of Dave Wheelton and Jim Barry. Dave and a friend was operating so a good catch up was had. 

Rather cheekily, some of my diesels had escaped my layout and come on holiday to Buxton, and Dave W is also a diesel modeller so they went on the layout. I left them to it so I could have a general look round the other layouts,  a few hours later ready to go home, they were still the main traction on Delyn Y Coed, I assumed they would just be on for a "happy 15 minutes"!!!

A few pics of Delyn Y Coed and the interlopers.....

IMG-20230703-WA00002.jpg.2d1f6afcac01148118c7313c3a6c30c9.jpg

IMG-20230703-WA00033.jpg.f6cf245f71eb5ef0da1f6fb5abd000e2.jpg

IMG-20230703-WA00012.jpg.f48742dafea6f52d514bdf328f8e6c37.jpg

IMG-20230703-WA00022.jpg.5955e221903b448de6069a14da623c95.jpg

Still, we were all smiling, such good fun, and that is what it is all about really.

A superb show, very much enjoyed, thanks to all the layout crews and modelling demonstrators, hopefully the traders did well and the show organisers made enough to secure the ongoing future of the show.

Thanks again,

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 4

Confess I gave it a skip.  A drive to Buxton (from Birmingham) only washes its face if you can go on to do something else - a walk in my case.  Sadly rain and 40mph winds ruled that out.  I would be interested in what the poor weather did for attendance.  Last year was wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2023 at 19:42, Crantock said:

Confess I gave it a skip.  A drive to Buxton (from Birmingham) only washes its face if you can go on to do something else - a walk in my case.  Sadly rain and 40mph winds ruled that out.  I would be interested in what the poor weather did for attendance.  Last year was wonderful.

We were up on 22 cheers, by far our best show to date and we were very pleased. No sitting on the lorells etc so website updated and we will be revealing our 24 content in a few months with some great things in the pipeline.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Long Line said:

We were up on 22 cheers, by far our best show to date and we were very pleased. No sitting on the lorells etc so website updated and we will be revealing our 24 content in a few months with some great things in the pipeline.

Best to date after only two shows seems a bit of an iffy statement! But I don't want to take anything away from what was a very good show (and yes, better than last year and last year was good too).

Definitely one of the most pleasant locations for a show as well.

Edited by Reorte

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/07/2023 at 10:51, Reorte said:

Best to date after only two shows seems a bit of an iffy statement! But I don't want to take anything away from what was a very good show (and yes, better than last year and last year was good too).

Definitely one of the most pleasant locations for a show as well.

You may take that to infer that 24 will be better than 23. As it will be! 

Cheers to all our supporters.

Edited by Long Line
  • Like 1